Enterprise poll

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by boatbuilder1, Aug 5, 2005.

1. boatbuilder1

boatbuilder1 Well-Known Member

Ok this could be the first poll I have started forgive me if there is a easyer way to do this.

ok so this could be a poll
    if you didn't have to worry about money which
    studio scale big E would you build
    STTMP series
    TNG galaxy
    TNG E

for me, the big E tmp is the ultimate ship, I just can not fathom why some don't like it. it has grace and style and grandeur as well as it kicks #$%#
    the basic saucer shape would be the easy to make using the old trouling method the secondary hull would be a challenge to get all the complex curves right
    the nacelles and pylons could be sculpted from renshape or high density balsa foam
    the most difficult part for me would be creating and welding the armature my metal skills are fine in the non-ferrous metals. the steel area is a complete mystery to me
    I could go on and on so I will stop for now

2. Archie Opteryx

Archie Opteryx Well-Known Member

TOS, pre TMP

3. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

ST:TMP for me. The whole opening might have been dull but the ship was just the most amazing thing I've seen on screen.

4. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

TMP, like LA the ship still amazes me.

5. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Well-Known Member

The Motion Picture Enterprise is the nicest-looking, most functionally elegant model I have ever seen at the movies.

It takes everything that was RIGHT about the TOS Enterprise but removes all the bad stuff (the flimsy nacelle pylons, the antique-looking sensor dish, the twinkling Christmas lights in the nacelles) and brings the design dramatically up-to-date.

The funny thing is that both versions of the ship were designed by the same man, Matt Jefferies.

Jefferies usually doesn't get much, if any, credit for the TMP Enterprise but it was his basic designs from Star Trek: Phase II that were elaborated on by Andrew Probert, Doug Trumbull, Joe Jennings (?), and a number of other guys who worked directly on Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Needless to say, Jefferies WAS the primary designer of the ST:TMP Enterprise and any cursory look at the Phase II Enterprise plans should convince even the most clueless movie fan who doesn't know the difference between a TOS Klingon and Motion Picture Klingon.

26 years after the design debuted in ST:TMP, I still think it's the model to beat. It's become a timeless design when so many others have not aged well at all. After Star Trek II introduced the beautifully compact Reliant model, I think Star Trek starship designs when down hill and future Enterprise/starship designs got progressively uglier.

6. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I couldn't agree more with everything you just said.

TMP Enterprise... all the way. :thumbsup

7. Dobber

Dobber Well-Known Member

Ditto, TMP Enterprise all the way. :thumbsup I've always LOVED the torpedo shroud on her....just made her look al the more real and militaristic.

Chris

8. aljf

aljf Well-Known Member

STTMP series :D :D :D :D

9. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

TMP all day....

10. Hotshot

Hotshot Sr Member

ditto

11. judgedredd

judgedredd Sr Member

says it all for me :thumbsup

12. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not me. TOS, the first. While I agree that TMP is a gorgeous design, I have always enjoyed how the design of TMP flowed directly from TOS. In real life, not sure that engineering actually works that way, but it looks good projected on a big wall. :)

Sorry, there's one in every crowd...

Besides, who hasn't seen T2Sides Big E and thought, 'if only...'

Allan

13. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

TOS Enterprise....no bloody A, B, C, D or E.

14. boatbuilder1

wow this thing really took off.
    I have nothing against the TOS she is a classic and beauty all in her own class
    but as far as grace and symetry it has to be tmp

15. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Sr Member

Forget the E, I'd build a 7 foot long Reliant. :) That was a sweet little ship.

16. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

TOS season 3 no doubt- I like the Motion Picture Enterprise but I disliked the movie and that has an effect.

17. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ya beat me to it.

TOS.

11 footer. :D

- k

18. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

TOS

TMP in a really close second place

19. Rocketeer390

Rocketeer390 Well-Known Member

I'm in with Kurok 100%. TOS just a bit more than TMP for me. Those big nacelles have a utilitarian simplicity and powerful look. But well said, George C. Two of the greatest fictional spaceship designs of all time. And they're the same ship.

20. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

Well, I love the simplicity and futurism of the TOS Enterprise, but the TMP E has always seemed a little more "real" to me. I agree completely that it took everything good about the TOS E and only improved upon it.

It truly was the star of The Motion Picture. :D

21. (^_^)

(^_^) New Member

I just wanna zoom around in a ship shaped like Spocks head.

But if I had to pick from the above, it would be TMP. As long as that bald woman comes with it :D

22. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

I agree, TMP Enterprise is a beautiful ship indeed. I just got the Polar Lights Refit model and I am thrilled at the size and detail. :)

Dave

23. boatbuilder1

:D
    I just got my refit last saturday and finally forced myself to break the bags open
    now this may sound stupid but I am treating this build as a studio scale model I.E
    I am building a 4 point armature from aluminum tube mounts are as follows
    beneath, port , starboard, and front (the sensor dish must be removed for this option)

I am bending a ring of aluminum for the saucer as well

and I plan to install a complete lighting package I will try to post updates as the build proceeds it could be sometime as I am jam packed with private commissions

charlie

24. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love TMP enterprise but also have a 'thing' for the Excelsior class, the first time I saw ST 6 I was hooked...

25. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

I guess I'm going to be the only one rooting for Galaxy Class...

Such a beautiful design... it's so simplistic yet busy. Gah, those curves...

As long as I never have to see another pic of the Enterprise E, though, I'm cool

26. boatbuilder1

to each his own to me the galaxy class is akin to BBW (big beautiful women)

27. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

Aw c'mon now... to me, the E just looks like a big characature of a ship... it doesn't have any weight or pull for me. Like a cartoon Enterprise. I just can't take it seriously, especially when my fav Enterprise had just finished exploding and smashing into a planet just a film earlier

*, now I wanna get an EntD kit

28. boatbuilder1

you certainly are a trek nut and that is a good thing :thumbsup

29. Viper Pilot

Viper Pilot New Member

TOS, with TMP a VERY close second. When I saw TMP in the theater, I had'nt any idea that the Enterprise had been redesigned. I was shocked and disappointed for a couple of minutes, because I really thought I was going to see the familiar old ship on the big screen, but she grew on me as the camera moved around her, showing how she'd changed. I grew up with the TOS Enterprise, and as the ship that first took me to the stars, she'll always be my favorite, but the refit certainly does her justice.

Viper Pilot..... - out

30. CaptCBoard

CaptCBoard Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll be the one to finally say it...

The Original E detailed out along the lines of the Motion Picture E. Those pylons on the TMP version make no sense (they taper away from the load?) and the shape of the nacelles, while elegant-- are just plain art-directed. Give the Original that amazing Ron Gress opalescent panelizing paint job and stick the camera close in to see windows and grilles, vents and docking ports never used in the series-- just added during a minor refit. NOW you've GOT something.

Scott
    CaptCBoard@AOL.com

31. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, this is like being asked to chose between your children. Sooooooo, I'd pick the TOS E. No, wait, the TMP. On second thought, I'll take the TOS. Definitely the TOS. But....

Dave C

32. boatbuilder1

well thought out A-
    but you are thinking withe 20th century knowledge.
    250 years from now the laws a physics (stress& fracture) are completely reinvented after all if they can come up with warp speed (faster than light) why not new laws of physics..

:)

current knowledge is so out dated

33. Viper Pilot

Viper Pilot New Member

Now, wait a minute. I thought Scotty said "I canna change the laws of physics".

I know we have "structural integrity fields" in TNG and later series', but I wonder if that was a technology that had been developed yet during the TOS era? I'm sure this technology would be responsible for making possible such "lapses" in accepted engineering techniques, but when you get right down to it, the spindly little pylons that support the warp nacelles on the TOS Enterprise don't seem up to the task either. I don't recall any references to structural integrity fields in TOS, but that does'nt mean anything. There are alot of things I don't recall since I passed 40. Oh well.

Carry on. - Viper Pilot

34. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

They also travelled faster than the speed of light, which should have killed them. They didn't explain that. It wasn't until TNG did we receive detailed explanations of the ship's mechanics, including inertial dampeners, which we assume were in use on older starships as well. Why can't structural integrity fields be on the list of old school Trek Tech? They'd need it anyway to support the ship's frame itself when travelling at any given speed

Although I must say, the TOS nacelle pylons look pretty iffy when it's actually in front of you (although I don't know is the Playmates version counts :()

35. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

TNG E

is there any other? I think not. :p

LOVE that ship.

36. Neon Sentry

Neon Sentry Sr Member

... I love you

37. mr.predicta

mr.predicta Well-Known Member

My favorite is the TOS enterprise,I guess its what you grow up with,if I were to do another its the polarlights refit. have to get going on that one. :love

38. knightdriver2001

That was still the Enterprise D. It was refit but didn't have a registry change.

Unless it was called the "U.S.S. Enterprise-D-2" ;)

39. Dude111

Dude111 Member

I would build TOS (NCC-1701) -- The original ship WAS THE BEST!!!!!

However i dont have the skills to build such a fine piece of gold so i wouldnt even try [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  40. knightdriver2001

Holy necro post. 8 years later, a reply. LOL.

41. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol:thumbsup

However I'll go against the grain and say although I absolutely love the TOS & TMP if money were no object I'd probably get the Ent. D. :)

42. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll join the necro posting and say D as well. I can see how people don't like it but it just makes me love it more. :)

Ben

43. maxdefiant

maxdefiant New Member

ST:TMP without a doubt!

44. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Sr Member

The Original Series Enterprise is the only Enterprise that matters for me,(sorry it wasn't one of your options), I like the Refit and for some reason it seems to get a lot of praise. I thought it looked more like a Carnival Cruise ship than a deep space Exploration Starship.

Just my opinion...

The movie story lines never achieved the level of the best TV series episodes, Yeah they were fun but I prefer the crew as they were.

NCC-1701...Best Starship hands down.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  45. ixtore

ixtore Active Member

Out of your original choices, TMP absolutely.
    Up to me ... TOS.
    If I had unlimited funds, I'd make a deal with the Smithsonian for weekend rights.

46. steve36uk

steve36uk New Member

TMP definitely:)

47. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's a tough call. The TOS E is a very close second for me to the D ONLY because TNG was the show I grew up with and the first Trek I watched. I then went back and watched TOS.Ohhh imagine having that 11footer. Mmm :)

Ben

48. psion

psion New Member

Scott said this seven and a half years ago, and he's still on to something. Douglas E. Graves did something very much like this in CG, and it's gorgeous, but I'd quibble with some of the details. And to see it fully realized as a physical model! That's as close as I'm ever gonna get to seeing the original Enterprise really in orbit.