Enterprise D - "Generations" (pic heavy)

OftenwrongSoong

I've been a member here for a while but haven't posted any of my builds up until now...mostly because of the quality of work on these boards is astounding (people like the Steve Neil's of this world etc!) and I feel a bit out of my depth looking through most of the threads! :eek
But, I decided to take the plunge and show the current build I'm working on

I've been going at this for about 9 months and I'm trying to get it, as near as practically possible, to look like the 6' miniature as it appeared in "Generations." I've made corrections to alot of the details like the main shuttlebay doors, the whole back section of the "neck" etc, but the main challenge was to try to replicate the 4 colour aztec paint scheme, as closely as I could. Here's some "milestone" pics to give a kind of overview of the build

DSCF5250.jpg

DSCF5282.jpg

DSCF5379.jpg

DSCF5409.jpg

DSCF5500.jpg

DSCF5520.jpg

DSCF5509.jpg

2011-10-22220239.jpg

2011-11-26204640.jpg

DSCF5654.jpg

DSCF5780.jpg

DSCF5814.jpg

DSCF5819.jpg

DSCF5860.jpg

DSCF5875.jpg

that looks great. the D never looked better than it did in generations. that updated paint scheme made the ship slightly more imposing that it already is.

I agree with several others in that the light-up pics are fantastic. The aztec paint apps are looking great. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Thanks everyone, I'm happy with how it's turning out and I totally agree that the D looked its best in Generations...I love the paint job they did on her

Perhaps my archive of photos I shot at Christies' in 2008 may be of some help. :cool

https://www.box.com/s/3176b20ed8974f2cabe3

Fantastic, cheers Karl. I already have quite a few of these from the Modellers Miniatures and Magic site but getting the whole archive direct from the guy who took them is awesome :thumbsup

Here's a few more shots from the build, including the 3 different stages of masking for the upper saucer section

DSCF5398.jpg

DSCF5555.jpg

2011-10-30185220.jpg

DSCF5714.jpg

DSCF5717.jpg

DSCF5763.jpg

DSCF5765.jpg

I'm working my way through window plucking at the moment which is taking some time, then i'll go back around and touch up the small damages and defects before moving onto applying the photoetch details.

Cheers everyone

Soong

This is fantastic! I'm actually working on the same kit myself, and I wanted to ask a question: what primer were you using? I've been using Tamiya fine light gray, and I've been having a devil of a time trying to get it light-tight. I already used up one whole can and part of another just for the nacelles, and I'm *still* seeing light coming through the surface. :(

In any case, I'm hoping to see some updates on this. Mine won't be nearly as yours, but it's nice to have the bar set high. :)

I haven't seen him on too much lately. But what he did was mask off the groups of windows on the inside and sprayed the inside black and then a white layer over that. And then masked off each window individually and painted the outside. You can see more pics over at scale model addict.

I always loved the D and you're doing an amazing job with her. That aztec paint job is giving me a headache just thinking about it. ;)

I haven't seen him on too much lately. But what he did was mask off the groups of windows on the inside and sprayed the inside black and then a white layer over that. And then masked off each window individually and painted the outside. You can see more pics over at scale model addict.

Oh, he painted the inside too? I didn't catch that from the pics, thanks. I can definitely see that he covered the outside in black though. Maybe someone here could tell me: what is the best black spray paint I could use that won't react with enamel paints? I've had some bad luck with primers so far, I don't want to have to strip anymore paint.

Oh, and if you ever come back and read this, Oftenwrong, sorry for hijacking your thread. :(

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back