Enterprise D - "Generations" (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by OftenwrongSoong, May 9, 2012.

1. OftenwrongSoong

OftenwrongSoong New Member

I've been a member here for a while but haven't posted any of my builds up until now...mostly because of the quality of work on these boards is astounding (people like the Steve Neil's of this world etc!) and I feel a bit out of my depth looking through most of the threads! :eek
    But, I decided to take the plunge and show the current build I'm working on

I've been going at this for about 9 months and I'm trying to get it, as near as practically possible, to look like the 6' miniature as it appeared in "Generations." I've made corrections to alot of the details like the main shuttlebay doors, the whole back section of the "neck" etc, but the main challenge was to try to replicate the 4 colour aztec paint scheme, as closely as I could. Here's some "milestone" pics to give a kind of overview of the build

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks beautiful lit-up :)

3. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

My favorite Enterprise... :D

The model looks great! I think the aztec-ing really adds to it! Excellent work!

Sean

4. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

The D probably looked at it's best in Generations, nice work.

5. trekman1017

trekman1017 Well-Known Member

HOLY CRAP!!!

6. yoda78

yoda78 New Member

Very nice indeed!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

7. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Indeed! Very well done! :thumbsup

Kevin

8. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

9. SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that looks great. the D never looked better than it did in generations. that updated paint scheme made the ship slightly more imposing that it already is.

10. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

ZOMBIEREPELLENT Sr Member

It's about time you brought that over here!

11. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

Fantastic job.

12. Damocles

Damocles Active Member

I've been watching this over at SSM, really top notch work. Your paint is outstanding.

13. FlyAndFight

FlyAndFight Member

I agree with several others in that the light-up pics are fantastic. The aztec paint apps are looking great. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

14. OftenwrongSoong

OftenwrongSoong New Member

Thanks everyone, I'm happy with how it's turning out and I totally agree that the D looked its best in Generations...I love the paint job they did on her

Fantastic, cheers Karl. I already have quite a few of these from the Modellers Miniatures and Magic site but getting the whole archive direct from the guy who took them is awesome :thumbsup

Here's a few more shots from the build, including the 3 different stages of masking for the upper saucer section

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm working my way through window plucking at the moment which is taking some time, then i'll go back around and touch up the small damages and defects before moving onto applying the photoetch details.

Cheers everyone

Soong

15. drknotter

drknotter Active Member

This is fantastic! I'm actually working on the same kit myself, and I wanted to ask a question: what primer were you using? I've been using Tamiya fine light gray, and I've been having a devil of a time trying to get it light-tight. I already used up one whole can and part of another just for the nacelles, and I'm *still* seeing light coming through the surface. :(

In any case, I'm hoping to see some updates on this. Mine won't be nearly as yours, but it's nice to have the bar set high. :)

16. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. I wouldn't even know where to start with all that aztec work! Looks fantastic!

I always loved this ship. :)

17. ZOMBIEREPELLENT

ZOMBIEREPELLENT Sr Member

I haven't seen him on too much lately. But what he did was mask off the groups of windows on the inside and sprayed the inside black and then a white layer over that. And then masked off each window individually and painted the outside. You can see more pics over at scale model addict.

18. Mole

Mole Well-Known Member

I always loved the D and you're doing an amazing job with her. That aztec paint job is giving me a headache just thinking about it. ;)

19. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Just staggering work!

Rich

20. drknotter

drknotter Active Member

Oh, he painted the inside too? I didn't catch that from the pics, thanks. I can definitely see that he covered the outside in black though. Maybe someone here could tell me: what is the best black spray paint I could use that won't react with enamel paints? I've had some bad luck with primers so far, I don't want to have to strip anymore paint.

Oh, and if you ever come back and read this, Oftenwrong, sorry for hijacking your thread. :(

21. eclipse74569

eclipse74569 Active Member

I will say this...I never in a million years would have thought to actually build a new main impulse engine as well as fixing the shuttlebays on the neck...I hope to see more of this fantastic build!

22. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The number 1 main reason keeping me from building one. INSANE aztecs on the D!

23. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

That is SICK! I love it! Looking forward to seeing more :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012