Ended auction for ANH Vader helmet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by PantheraGem, Feb 6, 2006.

1. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

This auction ended earlier today. I was wondering if anyone could figure out who the maker is? The only thing that struck me was how thick the fiberglass at the bottom vent is. I've seen pics of some of VaderMaker's helmets that are that way. I'm no expert though. Opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...y0%3D%26fvi%3D1

2. acyang

acyang New Member

I think your guess is correct. Looks like a VaderMaker lid. The tusks are definitely the ones that were supplied with the VM helmets.

3. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

4. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....looks like a VM01 to me...

5. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Did he make different versions of the ANH helmet? What's the version of his at Jez's site that's pictured with the chest armour? That one looks amazing....

I don't think I'm breaking any rules saying that I still have a chance to buy this one for the next 20 hours or so. It's hard for me to tell from those pics since there's not a straight-on shot.

6. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

That's an early run VM01.
    :thumbsup

7. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Yep, VM01....

:cheers,

Thomas

8. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Thanks for the replys. Now if you can tell me in your opinions where this helmet would rank in the grand scheme of ANH helmets? (Obviously I'm wanting someone to push me one way or the other, only got 14 hours to make up my mind. :D

9. Cookiee Monsta

Cookiee Monsta Well-Known Member

Whats the difference between certain ANH helmets?? They all look the same to me, what are the tell tale signs from one to the other?

10. CTF

CTF Sr Member

It all boils down to lineage really - some have it, some don't.

And in your case, J, you do. :) (The lid you've got is considered the best outside of the 'chosen few'...)

11. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

WOW...
    You know something? you just gave me an epiphany. What you're asking is a simple question but, essentially there are so many different variants to ANH Vader helmets that I'm kind of ashamed to know what they are.
    My epiphany is that I'm *.

I could spend a couple of days typing out what little I know, but I think pictures say a thousand words....

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/vaderfananh.htm

I know it's a cop out, but, as I said I could go on for a couple of hours (reading time, typing time? my typing skills suck, so it'll probably take me a few days to compile with pics etc) The thing is, I know only but a small fraction of a few here on the RPF (I wish they'd write a book, I'd buy it for sure)

Ummm.... I know this doesn't help, but, well, check out the link.

Cheers,

12. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Oh, and as far as buying the helmet goes?

HOT * DUDE... GO FOR IT...

It's a sweet helmet and a great buy :thumbsup

Cheers,

Kraig

13. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I'm with Kraig on this.

I'm going to own a VM helmet within the next two years. I am saving up bit by bit for one, looks liek you will be able to get this one for a good price.

14. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

I had a VM01 and IMO it is the best of the ANH helmets out there if you want one that looks literally like it did "on screen." Graham worked to give it that look rather than a studio prop look. If you have a change to buy it, go for it.

15. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Someone had made a flowchart of their idea of the lineage of fan Vader helmets. I didn't get a chance to review the final version but think it would be interesting to see it again. Of course when you get into the lineage discussion there can be some debate as well ;).

Thomas

16. RKW

RKW Sr Member

If you're after absolute screen accuracy it's one of the worst hi-end collectible helmets you could get. All the earlier Vader helmets suffered from a mirror image look to the real helmet. The mouths bend to the left (looking front on) instead of to the right, nose slots angled in the wrong direction and the nail slots on the cheeks are mis-aligned. These are the biggest faults to look for but there are still others I could mention.

For the price though it's still a nice Vader helmet. It all depends on what you're after.

17. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Yes, $550 is hard to beat for any fiberglass Vader helmet, I know.... It would make a nice contrast to my JB V2 I'm sure, which I JUST got. Why couldn't this thing come down the road about 6 months from now? Hehe.

18. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Alright, well it's mine now. Thanks for all your input. I'll let you know more about it and maybe take some better pics when he gets here.

19. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Another Vader nut :D

20. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I'd just like to have the lid to remember Graham, who did so muchfor the Vader costuming community.

21. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

I wish I had been active on these boards when he was around.... Even more than that I wish he was still around. I lost my own (and only) brother in a car accident when he was 21. A life cut-short like that is, well, there just aren't words. :(

22. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

So sorry about your brother :( . Congratulations on the win. Pics please :D

Thomas

23. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Im so sorry for your loss. I cant imagine having to deal with the death of one of my own siblings.

I wasn't on these boards when Graham was around either but I have read a lot about what he did and I have chatted to people who knew him and I have a great respect for what he did and the kind of person he was.

24. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Thank you very much for your kind words guys. It means a lot.

I just got back from my Disneyland vacation and the box was here. I did expect from the photos for it to be a little rough, which it is. There's some nasty spots along the nose where it looks like something was dropped on it, and plenty of paint chipped off where the dome hits the face. It may be in need of some tlc and a repaint, but I'm in no hurry. It sucks because I really like the finish on it. Luckily I know a guy who does fiberglass work and paint jobs for show cars/hot rods though. There's no padding or straps on the inside, though I suppose that's rather normal for most of these helmets?

I'll try to put pics up soon. I can say this, it looks mean. Real mean. It's a world apart from my JB V2, which is immaculate and pretty.

On the inside of the face, and on the inside of the dome are signatures. It's hard to write it out and would be easier to show in a picture, but it says "V/\/1 15/50". Like I said, I'll try to put pics up of the beast soon.

25. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Well here's one pic at least. You can see some of the damage, which oddly hardly bothers me. It does look very good sitting on my lifesize right now. There are some more pics of this alongside my JB V2 in the ongoing ANH Vader thread. If you want any certain shots feel free to post it here or pm me.

[​IMG]

26. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

There's damage?. :)

27. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Ya...huh? Where's the damage? I see a little paint off the side of the flaring? Don't repaint it. It's worth much more I think as a VM original with the original paintwork which I think is certainly one of the best ever....no car painter no matter how good they are will know the intricacies of replicating the ANH Vader look...just MHO...let's see a 3/4 view like the one in my avatar ;).

Thomas

28. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

Well, the bridge of the nose is actually chipped and gone over with a black permanent marker. There's a few other places too. I can try to get pics of the damage, though as I can see it doesn't show up on pics very well. I really haven't had a chance to go over it really good yet.

29. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

I would leave it as it is. It looks really cool. Wear and tear looks more real on these helmets than the clean and unused look.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I cannot imagine how that must feel.

Congratulations with your helmet.

30. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Let me say again how much I love that helmet and what that helmet represents to the Vader community. I will have one... one of these days.

You're very lucky. I agree with everyone else, leave the paint as is.

31. PantheraGem

PantheraGem Sr Member

I see your collective point, and shall leave it as is, for the most part. It looks very good on my lifesize, but it does need some sort of strapping to make sure it doesn't fall off (or if I feel the need to wear it for pics or whatever :D ), and a more secure way to keep the dome on. I would hate to come home to it broken on the floor one day. I wouldn't much enjoy it if I couldn't even display it on my Vader without worrying about it doing a Humpty-Dumpty. This baby's mine, it's not leaving my collection.... I'm in no hurry though, and will do it in a way that completes the helmet, not ruins it.

I meant no disrespect with the idea of filling the chips and repainting at all, quite the opposite. Most of my background is with cars, so I was just applying my way of thinking to the helmet. Take something that's been treated bad, fix it up, make it pristine and proud.... but I see your point will leave the paint as is. I wish there were a way I could remove the black marker without damaging the paint even more though. Mixed with the paint it makes for a nasty purple-ish hue in person. I can't figure out how a helmet that never had straps, padding, or a secure way to mount the dome got so beat-up when it was obviously never worn. So anyway here's a few more pics.

One of the beat-up areas. Even the inside corners of the lenses have black marker all over. Again, it's much more noticable in person.
    [​IMG]

15/50
    [​IMG]

A couple that SithLord requested. Marginally at the same angle as your avatar....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to WhackyChimp for hosting.