Have Shadow FX Darth Vader gotten better lately?

bananasushi

I have been reading old posts and saw a video on youtube showing a comparison between the CFO vader and the Shadow FX Vader.
In the video I can see differences. But when I look at the pictures on shadow FX's facebook page, I don't see those differences. I know some people have said to not trust the pictures for Shadow FX, but many of the pictures are current works in progress or finished pictures or even pictures put up by the owners after they have received the final product. Supposedly the Shadow FX vader has a narrower nose and the nose is not rounded, it is slightly angular. But I'm not seeing that on any of the pictures coming on their FB page. So that's why I'm wondering if they have improved their product and it is more authentic now?

I just contacted both and asked prices.
Shadow FX ANH $859
Shadow FX ROTJ $870
CFO ANH (mold not completed yet)
CFO ROTJ £355 = $480 USD

People say the CFO is more authentic/original so why is it so much cheaper? I also heard that the mold is the same for all 3 movies, they just enlarged the bottom vent and painted them or polished them differently. If that is the case, why would he say the mold isn't finished yet?

Thank you.

bananasushi

Just to clear some things up, I contacted Shadow FX and he is aware of that video and says the helmet there is 5 or 6 years old or more. He did confirm that they have changed/updated their helmets. From what I can tell is that they are as good as it gets.

I have a Hasbro vader helmet that cost me like 20-30 bucks, I then got a black series vader helmet and it cost about $120 in 2020. I said at the time that that is the most realistic helmet you can get for that price. But instantly I got irritated with inaccuracies. I think I'm ready for the real thing.

lethyry

I have been reading old posts and saw a video on youtube showing a comparison between the CFO vader and the Shadow FX Vader.
In the video I can see differences. But when I look at the pictures on shadow FX's facebook page, I don't see those differences. I know some people have said to not trust the pictures for Shadow FX, but many of the pictures are current works in progress or finished pictures or even pictures put up by the owners after they have received the final product. Supposedly the Shadow FX vader has a narrower nose and the nose is not rounded, it is slightly angular. But I'm not seeing that on any of the pictures coming on their FB page. So that's why I'm wondering if they have improved their product and it is more authentic now?

I just contacted both and asked prices.
Shadow FX ANH $859
Shadow FX ROTJ $870
CFO ANH (mold not completed yet)
CFO ROTJ £355 = $480 USD

People say the CFO is more authentic/original so why is it so much cheaper? I also heard that the mold is the same for all 3 movies, they just enlarged the bottom vent and painted them or polished them differently. If that is the case, why would he say the mold isn't finished yet?

Thank you.
I cannot fully speak on the SPFX helmets as i have never had one in hand, I do know people have said he edits his photos to look better that the actual thing. As for the CFO its a top of the line ROTJ vader helmet has nice lineage and look fantastic , but i dont think mark is selling vaders for that low, I know he was selling finished helmets for around the £900 when he was able to sell them. and the face plate mold is basically the same for all 3 versions, the domes are different and require different molds though.

bananasushi

I cannot fully speak on the SPFX helmets as i have never had one in hand, I do know people have said he edits his photos to look better that the actual thing. As for the CFO its a top of the line ROTJ vader helmet has nice lineage and look fantastic , but i dont think mark is selling vaders for that low, I know he was selling finished helmets for around the £900 when he was able to sell them. and the face plate mold is basically the same for all 3 versions, the domes are different and require different molds though.
That was the price he quoted to me though...

lethyry

That was the price he quoted to me though...
if that is the case I will have to be ordering one from mark in the near future, But him cutting his price in half seems slim to me. again i could be wrong which means my wallet is going to get a little lighter soon. but I think he may have quoted you the price for a finished Rotj stormtrooper helmet.

bananasushi

Attach files
1636240891699.png

Brothervader

You need to be aware that Shadow FX is a known recaster. He has also changed the name of his business on more than one occasion because of negative reviews from customers that he has ripped off. Because of the RPF rules that forbid promoting recasters, you'll need to be careful discussing his helmets.

bananasushi

What is recasting and what is wrong with recasting. I'm new to this. I mean as long as the product that comes out is good. Are you saying he takes other people's casts and just copies and sells them? Is that what recasting is?
So what are the other alternatives?
I'm just looking for a realistic looking mask.

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
The CFO prices seems to be for his trooper helmets. As far as I'm aware he's not offering Vader helmets right now. Could remember wrong.

A note on the Bookface offerings. They are based on fan sculptures that were painstakingly created by CSMaclaren. If you can't afford the lineage helmets, then this is the guy to go with as he's offering a few different versions.

Mike Warren's stuff has direct lineage to the production and LFL made pieces.

There is also a guy offering the old GH style helmets and armor - sorry, but I cannot remember his username... may be Shenphong or something similar - it isn't 100% accurate, but it's still pretty damn good and from what I recall the quality is good too.

EDIT: Yeah, it was shenphong and here's the GH return announcement thread: The Return of the GH Darth Vader ANH Helmet and Armor - with some extras

Last edited:

teecrooz

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Shadow FX was the reason the old member Ban Log was started. It’s in the announcements section, post #1. It is against forum rules to promote a banned member and their products.

”NOTE: This log was previously kept in the Announcements forum, but has been moved to questions and answers so it is visible only by members. We see no purpose in sharing this information with the world.

MEMBER BAN LOG

Dark Jedi Inc. has also been banned for violation of the sockpuppet rule and for attempted sabotage of a fellow member's project.

Apogee1 has been banned as a sockpuppet of Dark Jedi Inc.

Sith Master has been banned as a sockpuppet of Dark Jedi Inc.

Mr. Bones has been banned as a sockpuppet of Dark Jedi Inc.

DarkJediInc, aka Apogee1, aka Sith Master, aka Mr. Bones, now goes by the name SPFX in the prop community. For the record, while a member of the RPF he implied that he was John Dykstra, and outright said that he worked on ANH. He also used his SP accounts to have conversations with himself to cement the deception that they were two separate people.”

blewis17

Master Member
May I make a suggestion? If you are looking for/willing to own ANH Vader helmet, I would HIGHLY recommend the EFX PCR licensed if you can find it. It's a great, lightweight "plastic" helmet that is an almost perfect budget buy. I've owned the original Don Post kids version, the Don Post Replicas Classic Action ESB Vader, the Master Replicas ROTS fiberglass, the Anovos ESB/ROTJ hybrid, and the EFX PCR ANH version. Out of all of them, the EFX PCR just "looks the part"

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
Completely forgot that one. Just wish it would be a little cheaper. It definitely is a good alternative to the more expensive fiberglass helmets.

lethyry

If your limited on pricing, I'd say to try and find an EFX pcr, the prices for those have gone up a ridicolous amount but its a decent enough helmet, the next step up if your looking for a fibreglass helmet with some lineage and looks pretty nice, I'd say a GH is the way to go, good price. I personally am a huge fan of the GH Rotj with a small bit of work to it. But if there's no obstacle in pricing you should definitley look into a mike warren/bookface helmet

bananasushi

Thanks everyone. By the way is there a way to make a vote on here? I see people doing that on Facebook.
I'd like to see or start a vote out of curiosity to see statistics of what everyone's favorite masks are.
I think I might be willing to spend $900 on a mask. Reluctantly but I've spent more than that on other stuff so....

So far the recommendations I got are

Mike Warren
Bookface (Quasimodo)
CSMaclaren
GH
shenphong
EFX pcr

I actually don't like the revenge of the sith helmet. I know it's symmetrical but I just don't like it.

eethan

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey,

Bookface and CSMaclaren are the same offer, the Quasimodo. CSMaclaren is the sculptor, Bookface is the builder and painter.
GH = Shenphong, he is the current seller.

I think if you started a vote, it would be difficult to answer, it all depends on the budget as well. I'm sure people would tell you that if you can afford it, top of the list will be Mike Warren. if you have a little less money but still want something great, with a cool story and some money given to a disabled fan, go with Quasimodo and so on...

good luck with your choice :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.