Emmiter Ideas

franz bolo

Sr Member
So if you did have an original balance pipe, how would you attach it to the grenade?

The original BP was hollow straight through, while the replicas had a built in base so it could attach to the grenade.

The only thing I could come up with is using a dowel. you would have to tap it in so it would pressure fit, then screw attach it to the rod.

Any other ideas? The original makers faced the same problem and I wonder how they did it.

FB

I wrapped my grenade attachment (brass part) with some aluminum tape and press fit the balance pipe on...

The BP I have is probably a little smaller inside, I don't know really...

04cprs8wb.jpg

06cprs7lx.jpg

Originally posted by Serafino@Jan 6 2006, 10:59 AM
Custom-turned reflector piece is, I think, the best solution :D:

s56jq.jpg

[snapback]1152247[/snapback]​

Would it pressure fit inside the BP?

Are you going to make these?

FB

Hey, That's a great idea...
Can't wait ;)

Originally posted by Serafino@Jan 6 2006, 11:59 AM

s56jq.jpg

Thanks FB...it's a real grenade...
I added just a touch of brass black to the stem and windvane dabbing it and wiping almost imidiately...then I wore it down and softened it with my hand...I just wanted it dark, not black.The yellowie, upper neck is natural...
...and if you just get your hands a little greasy and handle the brass, you'l see a nice tarnish happen in a week or so...maybe a little longer...just keep handling it.

The body of the grenade was painted so I used a wire wheel to clean it off...then I've just let it age...

Just a tip...don't be afraid to handle your saber...take it down and play with it...it'll get that worn look naturally...if you keep it on a stand or just up on a shelf, it'll stay pretty forever...but what's the fun in that ;)

There's a big gap on an original Balance Pipe and the grenade stem though.

You would have to make some sort of adapter and then glue or solder it.

Serafino's idea is really nice.

FB

Originally posted by Serafino@Jan 6 2006, 04:59 PM

s56jq.jpg

I'm so glad this has come up again.
I mentioned this to KD only yesterday.
Andres, be prepared for a lengthy pm.

Howard.

Escutcheon? ;)

No, seriously... how did that theory start? I don't remember and the original pre-discovery research threads have fallen off the board.
(btw, on a Star Wars-board where I am moderator we say that expired posts were eaten by "Roger The Rancor" :D )

I didn't pay much attenion to the ‘escutcheon’ thread (if that's the one you mean) as I thought it was way off base. I forgot who first floated it.

Sporak and Prometheus--As for the reflector/adaptor, I expect to include it with the emitter run, and I plan to make a few extras for the very few who have real emitters. :)

Originally posted by Serafino@Mar 10 2006, 06:54 PM
I plan to make a few extras for the very few who have real emitters.  :)
[snapback]1203077[/snapback]​

just what i was hoping to hear. i can't wait.

.....BTW....how many is that now?

Damn , you're good.
:)

Originally posted by Serafino@Mar 10 2006, 01:54 PM
Sporak and Prometheus--As for the reflector/adaptor, I expect to include it with the emitter run...

Originally posted by Serafino@Mar 10 2006, 06:54 PM
I didn't pay much attenion to the ‘escutcheon’ thread (if that's the one you mean) as I thought it was way off base.  I forgot who first floated it.

Sporak and Prometheus--As for the reflector/adaptor, I expect to include it with the emitter run, and I plan to make a few extras for the very few who have real emitters.  :)

Glad to hear that.
BTW, how do you plan to attach the reflector piece to the grenade stem? Will it be threaded exactly to the treading size of the stem? Or do we need a threaded rod to run it across the entire saber internally?

Originally posted by Prometheus@Mar 10 2006, 09:13 PM
Glad to hear that.
BTW, how do you plan to attach the reflector piece to the grenade stem? Will it be threaded exactly to the treading size of the stem? Or do we need a threaded rod to run it across the entire saber internally?
[snapback]1203425[/snapback]​

The goal is to leave the hole in the stem free to be 'seen into', and just have the reflector piece fit onto the outside of the stem.

It's a bit of a sticky issue, since a lot of people don't want to deal with glue, etc., but I have several ideas working out of which a suitably flexible solution will arise. :)

The following is how I attached the interconnector to the No.3 on my ANH OWK saber prop.
emitterattach1.JPG

Note- IÂ’m showing a RomanÂ’s Empire EL ready emitter which is what I had at the time, but oddly enough, the hole is the exact same size as the real deal, slightly larger than an inch.

In addition to the No3 Mk1, and Derwent Interconnector, I used two steel flat washers (stainless steel might look better) with an outside diameter of 1 inch, and an inside diameter of 3/8 inch (a common size). These can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace Hardware. Instead of using the typical 3/8-16 threaded rod, I used threaded lamp tubing used for making light fixtures. I like the look of the hole as seen from the emitter end, and using this tubing allows for the use of much smaller nuts. This tubing is usually referred to as 1/8 IP and is little larger than 3/8”. Also found at the above stores in the lamp department. I filed the end of mine down just a little bit so it slides easily inside the No3, but a little filing inside the No3 also works (if needed).

Also I used a lamp hex nut, an additional washer shown already on the tubing, and a round decorative lamp nut that will be visible when the emitter is attached. The optional reflector I used was an aluminum stamping from the stem of the basket from an old coffee percolator. IIRC Serafino has posted pictures and commented that there may have been a reflector of some sort on the original prop. I like the way it looks.

Also needed, a rubber washer or O-ring that fits snuggly inside the emitter. See second picture.
emitterattach2.JPG

Note that the rubber washer (in this case) is slightly deformed when place inside the emitter. Selections of rubber washers or O-rings can usually be found in the hardware or plumbing sections at the above listed stores.

Pass the tubing through the No3 so it sticks out past the end about 3/8”. Slide one washer over the tubing and against the No3.

Slide the emitter with rubber washer or O-ring on next. Make sure itÂ’s fairly straight and positioned correctly relative to the vane. (Refer to some of the old pictures of the original)
emitterattach3.JPG

And then from the end, slide on the second flat washer, the optional reflector, and thread the decorative nut onto the tubing until it's flush with the end.
emitterattach4.JPG

Without the emitter, it would look something like this.
emitterattach5.JPG

Using the appropriate size boxed end wrench, tighten the hex lamp nut, thereby compressing the rubber washer or O-ring against the inside of the emitter.
emitterattach6.JPG

Note- This procedure worked well with the original No.3, and although I used lamp tubing to put my Roman's saber together, I'd almost have to recommend against it. Roman's parts are drilled to 3/8" (.375) and are designed to be put together with 3/8-16 threaded rod. The tubing is .391 (mine was), so I had to drill out the replica No.3. Drilling aluminum isn't difficult, but for a novice, drilling brass can be a harrowing experience. Brass will grab a hold of a drill bit, and in my case, threw my vise across my shop :$ . I finished making the hole bigger using a rat tail file.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back