Elysium AK47 Build.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Darko, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Darko

Darko Active Member

Hi all,

Just starting up a thread on my Elysium AK47 build, its the second build ive put up on here and I find feedback helps with the motivation so here we go.

First things first I needed a AK, living in Australia this proves to be difficult as we have pretty strict rules in regards to replica weapons so there will be a little more work involved but thats ok.

So I picked up one of these, its fairly accurate most importantly its 1.1 scale

td-2012_ak47-924x784.jpg

After much sanding and filling and a pepakura grip, I had this,

2aq04x.jpg

First coat of primer,

21eujgy.jpg

And now for the sight, ive got about 10 years experience in 3d modelling so I am hoping to use this to have the sight 3d printed (if anyone has a good hookup let me know) here is the initial block out just getting the proportions as close as possible before I start the actual detailing process,

nnjh5c.png

Stay posted for more Info.

2. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

Where did you find the AK? Good score man!

3. Darko

Darko Active Member

You can get taidi "toy" guns at markets and the like ive seen em around there but a good place is armoured heaven just google it, I actually bought off the guy before he had the site set up and he just had his stock and a ebay store but there are tons of decently detailed 1.1 weapons that dont classify as replicas.

4. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

Nice, I'll check him out. I've wondered about that. I'm new to Aussie and can't find much info on this subject. What is the difference between your AK a a replica? I can't get my head around it but I have seen lighters are novelties that look pretty real around Melbourne Markets...

5. Darko

Darko Active Member

Its kind of a loose term when it comes to "replica" weapons im not going to get into detail about the definition but there doesnt really seem to be any issue buying toy guns that are accurate as long as they arent straight up replicas like denix etc and as long as they arent airsoft and have a orange tip then you wont have problems make sure you look up your states rules and make your choice accordingly some states like queensland for instance allow any replica weapons however NSW for instance is very strict and require license. No issues with toys though. Anyway to stay on topic heres a quick render of my work in progress sight.

render1.jpg

Chaank likes this.
  6. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

Thanks man. :cheers

7. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome!

8. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

Chaank likes this.
  9. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Master Member

$1000 for a Denix AK? Is that strictly related to Oz? Because you can get them for $250 here.

10. paddyfritz

paddyfritz New Member

11. Mike J.

Let me know if you need any references; I saved the auction pics.

12. Darko

Darko Active Member

Hey mate, any and all reference is good I have alot of photos but I bet i dont have ALL the photos.

Another render, still plugging away in my spare time.

2s91xdy.jpg

13. Mike J.

Here's one for starters.

Attached Files:

14. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

More:
    14662989.jpg 14663022.jpg 14663021.jpg 14663020.jpg 14663019.jpg 14663017.jpg 14662993.jpg 14662991.jpg 14662990.jpg 14663023.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Darko

Darko Active Member

Thanks guys i didnt have some of those and they deffinately clear up a couple of things. Ill work some more on the model this afternoon stay posted.

16. Darko

Darko Active Member

More detail, its important to me to get the proportions right because then I can scale it all off the 20mm rail on the bottom.

2dw59pt.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. Muppetdaze

Muppetdaze New Member

Hmm couldn't you just buy an airsoft AK, there's enough cheap ones around, even if you buy a clear one and paint it

18. Darko

Darko Active Member

Australia mate they arent legal, you need to register them like a real weapon and have a "reason" to own them for which this is none therefore airsoft is effectively illegal.

KramStaar likes this.
  19. Darko

Darko Active Member

Another render, getting closer to being done, deciding if I want to add the drilled holes to the model or to drill them post 3d print. If there is anyone on here that will print this cheaply please hit me up! gonna work on the decals soon also. If anyone is interested in this when im done I might do a run.

j93bd4.jpg

20. Darko

Darko Active Member

Got the paints for the prop been thinking about how im gonna do the wood i was in bunnings and saw this wood grain vinyl that is used for florring surfaces and bench tops etc so im thinking about experimenting with applying it to the model then going over the vinyl with wood varnish to see if i get a realistic wood effect. Gotta concerntrate on the metal first.

21. Darko

Darko Active Member

33xwhzt.jpg

On goes the metallic charcoal. am I talking to myself in here or what!

22. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

Yes, it would seem so;)........good work so far, keep going. Check your view rate, tons of folks lurk and watch a build never to post, so don't get disheartened. It's a huge pain in the * living in Oz on the gun front, you can't even own a BB gun:lol.......get this build finished so we can see the results, promising work so far...chop, chop:D

23. Tuckanator

Tuckanator Active Member

haha I'm one of those lurkers. Awesome build so far, im from Aus too and you've inspired me to build one now! Thanks for posting about armoured heaven, I was trying to find a cheap AK for a while. If you end up doing a run of the sight, I might be interested depending on price aswell

24. Darko

Darko Active Member

Thanks for the kind words guys, ill defo do a run on the sight if there is enough interest to re-coupe my costs its more about the hobby than the money for me anyway I wouldnt mind seeing what people do with the stuff I create. Here is some more pics, once the metallic charcoal is dry i went over it with very light coats of matte black to darken it up then drybrushed silver, the metal effect is much better in real life than these photos.

2pq2nus.jpg

2ywiooh.jpg

166k4s5.jpg

25. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

Excellent weathering. Weathering is an art form all by itself. Most peeps over do it and it either looks dirty or simply doesn't look realistic enough. Great work keep going;)

Agreed regarding the Toy Armory site. I'm surprised the ANSP haven't shut it down yet:lol

26. Darko

Darko Active Member

Thanks mate :) and yeah armoured heaven is good for people like us because it gives us an avenue for prop building that we might not have thanks to restrictive airsoft/replica laws, to be clear the guy does not sell airsoft nor replicas he sells toy guns that can be used for cosplay or prop building which are perfectly legal. Heres the site if you guys cant find it (what is google lol).

http://www.armouredheaven.com.au/

27. Darko

Darko Active Member

Getting the scale correct on a basic ak 3d model, going to work on the decals and bullets soon and look for an Aus 3d printing service that will print out the finder for me.

dop5hi.jpg

21cbmhj.jpg

28. Barking Dragon

Barking Dragon Well-Known Member

Looking great so far mate and thanks for posting the link to AH, going thru their store now to buy a few things as well as an AK in case this project goes the way you hope ;) Loved Elysium and sooo bummed that Weta cancelled their Chemrail gun....i had it on order :(

29. SATELLITE74

SATELLITE74 Active Member

Great progress,I've just found this thread.Fancied doing one of these myself as deactivated AKs are easy to get here in the U.K.
    But seeing as you're doing one and might be doing a run I'll hold on for a bit and see what you do.

30. Grey

Grey Sr Member

This gun was the best thing about the movie. :lol

31. Darko

Darko Active Member

Bumping my old thread but I want to talk about the progress of this, so I have a 3d printer now and I am wondering if I were to do a run of these how many people would be interested? I plan to 3d print this in the near future and potentially do a run of kits or even finished props.

32. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Post in the JY, you will reach more people.

I know I would be interested pending price...

33. Darko

Darko Active Member

Yeah I might just make it and see how they go, next weekend hopefully I will be able to get into the 3d printer so ill update this with progress.

34. veektohr

veektohr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be interested.