EFX X Wing Arrival, Thoughts & Pictures

What is your acrylic thickness?

Thanks for that info. I remembered seeing your case eariler and it's great to have a straight link to the post.

Looks like the same for me will be 240$ shipped. For me it all comes down to the shipping price from eFX and whether I think the pre-wired base is worth an extra 130$ or so.

not sure on the thickness- it is thinner than a MR case but not by much.

Last edited:
Isn't the base going to be mirrored on the one being offered by eFX? That is a
significant difference from the ones made by e.g. CFC. That said I am probably
not going to sign up for the eFX one. With shipping and CA taxes it will be too
expensive.

Isn't the base going to be mirrored on the one being offered by eFX? That is a
significant difference from the ones made by e.g. CFC. That said I am probably
not going to sign up for the eFX one. With shipping and CA taxes it will be too
expensive.
No the one being offered by eFX will have a metal finish,scratched metal or something it's called.

It's brushed aluminum. Personally I would have preferred mirrored.

xwingbasedd3.jpg

It's brushed aluminum. Personally I would have preferred mirrored.

There's a chance that the brushed metal part of the stand is simply an insert beneath the clear acrylic top. (I think this is how they make their smaller, oval stands.) If that's the case, it might be possible simply to unscrew those eight fasteners, remove the brushed metal, and replace with a mirror or silver mylar sheet.

That's a good question... doesn't sound dumb to me at all!

I've never tried to make a hole in a mirror. Presumably you would have a shop custom-cut the mirror and finish the edges for you. You could ask them to make the hole, too.

The less expensive route might be to adhere a sheet of mylar to a flat plate that could easily be cut to the size of the stand -- styrene might even do the job.

Yup. Touch them and they scratch. I'd rather have an aluminum base personally.
Heck don't touch them and they scratch... :thumbsdown

A glass mirror would have added weight to shipping etc. but would have been a TON more forgiving... Prettyout of the box, but durability is a serious issue. Even simply sitting on a table next to me desk the mirror has thousands of tiny scratches, and blmeishes. And I've been very careful, only "dusting" it with a static electricty type duster that barley touches the surface. These stands NEED a cover to keep them form getting fouled up... the Mirror idea is great since it lest you stdy the coolness of the bottom of the model. The overly touchy/sensetive material is an issue - for me anyway...

Jedi Dade

I like the case, I wish they would have just offered a square base from the begining, and just made the acrylic cover the add on.

I'm also a little concerned by the "if we get 100 orders we will produce it." It has me seriously thinking I might need to get or make a custom case on my own. That I will stand just as good a chance of getting a cover that way as well. Ah well, I guess we will see what happens.

For anyone thinking about making a custom display case for your eFX X-Wing, I'd like to share an idea I worked up for my MR Studio Scale Enterprise model.

The MR Enterprise, like the eFX X-Wing, is a large model supported by a base with a relatively small footprint. In both cases, the support rod sticking up from the base delivers power to the model's electronics. Both bases have power cords attached. In the case of the Enterprise base, the power switch is on the base itself rather than attached to the cord.

I liked the idea of a large, mirrored base with a clear acrylic cover for the Enterprise, like MR made for the SS Falcon. The mirror is a convenient way to admire the underside of the model, and of course the cover keeps the model clean and safe. I considered having a large mirrored base made and simply setting the Enterprise and its stock base on top of it. But it seemed pretty awkward to have the original, small base in there covering up part of the mirror, and I also didn't like the idea of the electrical cord visible inside the case, snaking out through a hole in the acrylic cover or, worse, wedged in between the cover and the base.

Instead, I had the idea of building a mirrored base that would fit over and completely cover the original small base. A hole in the large base would enable the mast to support the model and deliver power to the electronics as MR's designers intended. The power cord would not be visible inside the custom case, but would be hidden together with the original base inside the larger base, where it would be plugged into an extension cord. This extension cord would emerge from the rear of the custom base and would have a power switch built into it. The switch on the original Enterprise base could thus be left permanently in the "ON" position, and the electronics controlled with the new and more easily accessible switch on the extension power cable.

I haven't received my Red Five yet -- delivery is scheduled for this weekend -- but it appears to me that the approach outlined above for the MR Enterprise would work equally well for the eFX X-Wing: build a custom base that completely envelops the original smaller base, leaving a hole for the power mast. The custom base could be finished in any way you like -- with a glass mirror, mirrored acrylic, a Death Star surface, a hangar deck, a field of stars, etc.

I've drawn up a couple of sloppy diagrams to illustrate what I mean. Please forgive the primitive quality of my pictures... they were done using Word. :p

efxxwingcustombase01gsf.jpg

efxxwingcustombase02gsf.jpg

I've used eFX's own photograph of their X-Wing for these illustrations. If this is a problem, I'll remove the pictures.

I don't mean this idea to interfere with potential production of eFX's own large base with acrylic cover. But for customers like me, who live overseas, the shipping charges for eFX's big base with cover will be prohibitive. I hope my suggestion will be helpful to eFX X-Wing owners who would like a large, covered base but who wouldn't be able to afford eFX's version.

I've made preliminary arrangements for the construction of my custom MR Enterprise case, but it's not finished yet. Otherwise I would post pictures. :$

Thanks, Pilot! :thumbsup

I am building my own custom base now and I had the same idea as you. I am using this drawing I found somewhere on this site and it seems to be working well for me so far.

I am using the same dimensions as the eFX base. 1/2" particle board will make for the base with 2-1/4" molding around the outside of that. I am using some wood pieces at various spots around the inside that are the same height of the eFX base. The acrylic mirror with the hole cut will sit inside. I found a guy here locally that can get the mirror and build the case for about $125. The wood and misc. material ran about $45. I will post pics of the base next week once it is finished. Let me know how yours comes out.

I am building my own custom base now and I had the same idea as you. I am using this drawing I found somewhere on this site and it seems to be working well for me so far.

I am using the same dimensions as the eFX base. 1/2" particle board will make for the base with 2-1/4" molding around the outside of that. I am using some wood pieces at various spots around the inside that are the same height of the eFX base. The acrylic mirror with the hole cut will sit inside. I found a guy here locally that can get the mirror and build the case for about $125. The wood and misc. material ran about $45. I will post pics of the base next week once it is finished. Let me know how yours comes out.

I finished my case and wanted to show it off. Let me know what you think.
http://cid-a0ed3c5472663db6.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Xwing%20Case/kdk%7C_0212.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back