eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

Hi Guys,

Just saw some pics from SDCC of the eFX TIE fighter.

Any thoughts from the first pics? I am sure more pics will follow from board members attending the event.

eFX Collectibles - SirStevesGuide.com Photo Gallery

Cheers Chris

Looking really nice. The colour is ANH, and looks really good on the pics.:thumbsup

The only thing I can see that should be redon are these little guys that are positioned differently on the studio models. If you get more pictures it would be great!

I few other small styrene chips are also misplaced and dont have the correct shape, but that's only the prototype, and those styrene chips Im thinking of (the triangular ones) were all cut by hand so none of them are identical, pretty hard to replicate ! And that's not something you will notice, as long as the shape, size and proportions are good, that's perfect !

I hope this time they'll release both kits and finished models or that the wings can be removed on the finished model, I prefer the TESB wings and I have some koolshade for it...

Yeah the proportions are really nice. I just love if they got it uber correct. I thought they scanned the original, meaning the details could be like the ILM ones.

The removable wings would be very cool (but I dont think it will be). For some reason I like the ANH wings better. Proportions maybe. You can be happy to have koolshade . :)

Thank you very much Andrew !

Love the wings, the wingstar castings are crude, just like the orignal. I know that would please all the collectors, but for my part, that's what I want, something which looks like the filming mini, and not an idealized and perfect model.

My only concern with the wingstar would be one of the break caliper which is misaligned, I dont know if yous till can correct that guys ?

And too bad the Lockeed logo was sanded off... But I do understand that's to avoid any problem with the company.

Once again the Koolshade is very well done !

Last edited:
....No doubt my friend Gene will soon chime in to elaborate (in excruciating Kozicki-esque detail) on the process by which the color was arrived at.

We took the hatch to an automotive paint store (which had been around for 25+ years and was used by Sony, Greg Jein, and BOSS) and had them color match it.

End of story.

Gene

PS - Excruciating detail to follow when I can post photos.

Guys,

Those wings are stand ins. Julien...Unfortunately the wings will not be poorly cast or rough to match the ILM model. Maybe we can get Mike Tait to do a few and then we would be set!

From what I understand guys the WINGS ARE REMOVABLE! This could change but thats what i was told.

The size of the wing is right and the star is correct. These wings at Comic Con are solid cast. The ones that will appear on the production model will be essembled like the studio model.. They will also sport a water jet cut alluminum core!

Keep the critiques comming! As indicated this is a production prototype and Im working with EFX to get it right. All comments made here will and are being looked into for correction.

EFX is listening to all of my inputs and allowign me to review product as its in development... so the sky is the limit. So far issues are

1. Base Color (i think its spot on for ANH.. but will check) What GENE SAID!
2. Dark grey detail color (more contrast)
3. Canopy shape to shallow...
4. Chip details on pylons
5. Acrylic gun nibs (not round LEDS)
6. Logos being removed....lockheed ect.. we know why...cant fix that.

This TIE matches size and shape wise to the laser scan data of actual TIE Fighter! Cograts to my buddies Dan, John C and EFX for a super collaboration!!!

Steve

We took the hatch to an automotive paint store (which had been around for 25+ years and was used by Sony, Greg Jein, and BOSS) and had them color match it.

End of story.

Gene

PS - Excruciating detail to follow when I can post photos.

Very cool Gene !!
Cant wait to get my copy to convert it into a TESB TIE !

This TIE matches size and shape wise to the laser scan data of actual TIE Fighter! Cograts to my buddies Dan, John C and EFX for a super collaboration!!!

Steve

So what is the final verdict on the cockpit ball size? I remember there was a discussion about that not too long ago. Will you have to make an updated Tie someday down the road after the info gleaned from this project?
I got a whole bunch on LSA Koolshade just collecting dust over here.:cool

Guys,

Those wings are stand ins. Julien...Unfortunately the wings will not be poorly cast or rough to match the ILM model. Maybe we can get Mike Tait to do a few and then we would be set!

I do understand that it wouldnt please every customers... I know those are mainly done for collectors and not for hardcore studio scale modelers ! They have to sale a bunch to get money. I just thought the production would have been like the proto... was probably a dream !

From what I understand guys the WINGS ARE REMOVABLE! This could change but thats what i was told.

Now that's great news !

Keep the critiques comming! As indicated this is a production prototype and Im working with EFX to get it right. All comments made here will and are being looked into for correction.

EFX is listening to all of my inputs and allowign me to review product as its in development... so the sky is the limit. So far issues are

1. Base Color (i think its spot on for ANH.. but will check) What GENE SAID!
2. Dark grey detail color (more contrast)
3. Canopy shape to shallow...
4. Chip details on pylons
5. Acrylic gun nibs (not round LEDS)
6. Logos being removed....lockheed ect.. we know why...cant fix that.

Steve

Some more small issues I can spot :

efxtie2.jpg

Davy,

I will not be remaking my hull as there is only minute size difference. The laser scan shows the ball to be approximately 1mm to 2mm larger than 5". information has been recieved that ILM used a 5 " ball and plated it either with 040 or 060 stryene cladding as they did most of the acrylic work they did. If someone wants to strip one of my castings of detail and plate it with 040 sheet I will be more thanhappy to provide the detail parts for them!

Julien,

Thanks for the pics... saved and will talk with Bryan once they get done at Comic Con!

Steve

It was ILMer Lorne Peterson who told me that at CIII. He says they've been using the same shade of blue/gray on the TIE's since the beginning. It's the Glossiness/dullness that has changed as well as lighting and filming equipment etc.... The blue color of the TIE played hell with the blue screens in ANH too. :)

Dave

Here's my Steve Neison Tie build, the color is pretty close maybe mine has a little more blue, but the greeblie and details that Julien pointed out seem more accurate on Steves Tie.

Tie1-2.jpg

Tie2-2.jpg

Tie3-2.jpg

Tie4-1.jpg

Tie5-1.jpg

Tie6-1.jpg

GFollano

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back