eFX ANNOUNCES LEGEND DARTH MAUL HERO LIGHTSABER!! see post#53!!!

GINO

Sr Member
EFX is proud to announce our next item in the Star Wars Legend Edition line.

Darth Maul Legend Edition Hero Lightsaber!

As you know, the criteria for an EFX product to quality for Legend Edition status, it must be primarily created by either directly molding a screen-used/production made original, or by utilizing original production molds from the LFL archives, or a combination of the two.

Our replica was created by directly molding one of the few and rare screen-used hero dueling sabers!

In fact, the saber that we molded to create the EFX Legend is the screen-used saber used by Ray Park during the filming of Ep.1 and then gifted to him after filming had completed.
How cool is that?!!!

efxdms1.JPG

efxdms2.JPG

efxdms3.JPG

Here's some info regarding the original screen-used Darth Maul sabers you might find interesting along with a visual diagram:

Screen-Used Darth Maul saber 101

1. There were no metal body versions of this saber made for the film. Some were cast resin bodies with separate metal ends, and some were completely resin including the ends.
2. All the buttons on these sabers were part of the resin casting and painted. No version of Maul's saber used actual separate buttons.
3. Every screen-used version we came across in our research did not have actual emitter holes. There is only one shot in the entire film where you can see a saber emitter with a hole in it.
4. There were several different types of Darth Maul sabers used in Ep. 1. (not including the ones sliced in half by Obi-Wan)
The ones most commonly known are the hero version (for close-up shots), and the standard dueling versions (for most of the combat scenes).
Another is the HERO dueling version, which is what the EFX replica is based on and there were only a few of these made for the film.

Hero version
- Created by casting a resin saber body over a threaded rod, with metal ends added.
- Includes a covertec clip and retains all of the silver and red button detailing.
- Threaded rod is sliced off flush with the emitter ends.
- Emitter ends are flat and do not have recessed centers.

Standard Dueling version
- Created by casting a resin saber body over a threaded rod, with metal ends added.
- No covertec clip added, and all the raised button detailing has been sanded off and replaced with painted dots (so that Ray Park could twirl the saber without the raised buttons getting caught on his gloves).
- The threaded rod extends well beyond the saber body so that the colored dueling blades have something to be attached to.
- Emitter ends have recessed centers.

Hero Dueling version
- Exactly the same as the standard dueling version, except it retains all the raised button detailing (this is a hybrid of the hero and standard dueling versions).

The EFX Legend Edition version is going to emulate the Hero version in every way, except that the emitter ends will be representative of what is seen on screen vs. the actual film prop (which does not have a recessed center or an emitter hole).
In the pictures of the EFX prototype shown above, the emitter ends are just temporary stand-ins and will be replaced with metal ends that have recessed centers and an emitter hole as seen on screen. :thumbsup

maul101.jpg

Last edited:
Re: eFX ANNOUNCES LEGEND DARTH MAUL HERO LIGHTSABER!!

Looks great, I'll be picking one up when they go up for order

"when they go up for order".... you'll need a crystal ball for that, I reckon :unsure

Sadly I can't take eFX seriously with regards to new releases. when they are unable / unwilling to manage the release of existing products in their 'Legend' line of products. :rolleyes
This product has the potential to be a desireable, accurate, licensed piece that many would like to add to their collections... let's hope that eFX is able to manage the Pre-Sale date-announcement more professionally than with their Stormtrooper Hero 'Legend' helmet debacle... :unsure

Cheers,
John
johnATmanicminerDOTplusDOTcom

This product has the potential to be a desireable, accurate, licensed piece that many would like to add to their collections... let's hope that eFX is able to manage the Pre-Sale date-announcement more professionally than with their Stormtrooper Hero 'Legend' helmet debacle... :unsure

John, the stormtrooper legend helmet has not gone on pre-order yet. :behave :lol

John, the stormtrooper legend helmet has not gone on pre-order yet. :behave :lol

But the Tie Fighter and Legend Vader have. For a long time. Longer than what most people consider a reasonable amount of time.

Man, I promised myself that I only need one version of each saber. Why do you have to make me lie to myself?

So does this mean the whole body and all the buttons will be resin?

If things are being cleaned up make sure and reference the original short saber that was cast to make the Hero Maul. It's sharper and has the real metal details. The resin ones are a little soft.

Reinterpreting the resin details got MR a little mixed up so the details next to the LED's are wrong on that replica (they're not button head cap screws).

So does this mean the whole body and all the buttons will be resin?

If things are being cleaned up make sure and reference the original short saber that was cast to make the Hero Maul. It's sharper and has the real metal details. The resin ones are a little soft.

Reinterpreting the resin details got MR a little mixed up so the details next to the LED's are wrong on that replica (they're not button head cap screws).

Hey Chris, yes the entire body and all it's buttons will be resin and cast as part of the saber body.
That is how every screen-used Maul saber we came across was made, and all the surface imperfections were in the exact same spots from saber to saber.
We weren't planning on replacing any buttons or reinterpreting any of the saber body details as we wanted to keep the replicas as true to the original it was molded from as possible. :thumbsup

Last edited:

I'm very much an original trilogy collector. However, I've always had an interest in Darth Mauls saber, making this is an extremely tempting offering from eFX.

I may find myself giving into the 'darkside'.

Just to be clear, the pictures at the top of the original posting are of the product, and not the original prop?

Any ideas on what price range they are thinking of for this?

Just to be clear, the pictures at the top of the original posting are of the product, and not the original prop?

Yes, and whether you realize it or not, that is an awesome compliment!
In those pics the emitter ends are just stand-ins though.

Any ideas on what price range they are thinking of for this?

Not yet. Still too early.

Awesome. What's the expected time frame for it to go up for pre-order? Credit card is already itching on this one!

Oh, and putting the idea out there....eFX could really get some good sales from some Legend Jango pistols!

Awesome. What's the expected time frame for it to go up for pre-order? Credit card is already itching on this one!

Not sure yet. Should be awhile though.
But lots of Legend items planned so start saving now! :thumbsup :cry :love

As far as the emitter ends go, we contemplated leaving it flat with the threaded rod sliced off as seen in the diagram in my first post, but feel that the greatest majority of our customers would prefer an emitter end that is more representative of what is seen on screen (see diagram in previous post).
Here's a photo of one of the production made resin castings with that style emitter end.

emitterend.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back