eFX A New Hope Darth Vader Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: eFX ANH Vader?!?! WOW

Taking a poll of what we want is a little moot. If Efx has made the announcement and proto's are going to be at SDCC I would imagine it's all underway as we speak.

Besides, we'll get whatever they give us like it or not.

I don't care what the dome attachment system is, as long as when the 2 are together it looks like Darth Vader from ANH.

I for one am very excited and optimistic !!

I find this comment hysterical. If you weren't one of about fifthteen people in the world to own a TM would you really be saying this? I very much doubt it!
It still came from the community. And don't you think there are other helmets I would love, but cannot get access to in the community? It is still available in the community, just not all who are getting one. I lose out more times than I luck out, but what I can get within the community always surpasses what a licensed replica can bring. So... when it is already altered... why not alter it for a reason that means something to the in universe of the movies?

And yes... I am contemplating making my remaining helmets into movie accurate pieces, rather than prop accuracy, which means I don't care if it is the right materials, right details, right colored lenses, right colored paint job. I'm matching the movie, not the prop... so there has been thoughts about doing the reveal thing on the helmet I have left. The prop doesn't matter, the look does.

But I can understand the reasons people are giving to keep it as close as straight out of the mold as possible. I'm just saying... they are making changes anyway. It has no tabs. It has filled in undercuts at the tusk tubes. And many other things that makes it different from the Tantive look.

I do not understand how you can have a "prop replica" that does not give a faithful replication of said prop.

How did those 3 apple tabs work on the ANH version? What was inside the dome that locked onto/into that area? I still don't know this, and it kind of bothers me a bit.

#3 without a doubt.

If it ends up being a 2, I would still want it, but I wouldn't be in the hurry and sell blood gotta have it kinda mindset I would have for the #3

and #1 being... I might as well get a Sgt fang for chump change and have fun with it.

I will NEVER pay over a grand for a helmet that isn't 100%

So depending... If it was 2-300 I might go for an option #1.

Taking a poll of what we want is a little moot. If Efx has made the announcement and proto's are going to be at SDCC I would imagine it's all underway as we speak.

Besides, we'll get whatever they give us like it or not.

I don't care what the dome attachment system is, as long as when the 2 are together it looks like Darth Vader from ANH.

I for one am very excited and optimistic !!

The poll is just for fun. I'm just curious how many people want what.

For Example I think most here would want #2. A few would want #3 The masses would want #1. There is a write in #4. Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm way off.:lol

I recall a conversation on The Dented Helmet with regards to a scaled Fett. It may have involved community input, but the end result was that someone at LFL may have deemed it too accurate and had the appearance watered down, much to the TDH community's dismay.

I may be mistaken but I don't think the issue with the scaled Fett was that LFL deemed it "too accurate." If I recall correctly they were using some weird ref and they were arguing on colors as well as having some difficulty understanding the differences in what was seen on screen and what was a promo shot and the variations between the two. I only say this because I don't want it to be misconstrued as being the age old myth of studios wanting replicas to be X % different from the originals. I have had the privilege to work with a number of licensed replica makers who have dealt with LFL and in every case, LFL is really a stickler for detail, however, they simply don't have the expertise we do and they seem to be easily confused about particular variations. I know there was a lot of argument with the paint job on the MR Fett helmet regarding the differences between the way the ESB hero looked on screen, the way the ESB hero looks today (quite different) and the PP3 (an ESB hero clone, but with variations) and I am not sure LFL fully did understand those differences, but it wasn't that they were trying to say "you have to make it different." They were trying to argue for what they perceived as accuracy.

One can argue that the exception in the Fett corner of the community was the MR Fett. Here you have a laser-scanned preproduction helmet. How can you possibly go wrong? Yet the mandibles were angled more closely towards the chin rather than parallel. Was that on purpose or merely a production flaw?

I don't know if any MR people will chime in here (Bryan?) but based on everything I know and saw, the angled mandible thing was a Quality Control issue due to Chinese manufacturing. None of the prototypes had this issue. They were gorgeous... and when the final products came back from China with the warped mandibles, it seemed like everyone was shocked. I can't help but wonder if MR had retained their license and the Fett helmet wasn't a last minute, get it out the door product, would they have not had this corrected.

With that being said, my one fear about the eFX Vader is what always seems to be the issue; mass produced Chinese manufacturing. Will what eFX sends to China come back the same as they sent it, or will we have another MR Fett helmet incident?

How did those 3 apple tabs work on the ANH version? What was inside the dome that locked onto/into that area? I still don't know this, and it kind of bothers me a bit.

There was an approx 1" block (possibly wood) glued to the inside of the dome with the opposing tabs fitted. The connection method wasn't particularly stable and the dome would not always seat in the same location. This is why for ESB they changed to a ring fitted to the top of the face mask that slotted into an outer ring inside the dome.

Although the original mask tabs were broken off before this particular mould was made I would like to see EFX mould in replicas since we know what the tabs are. My current helmet just uses foam and velcro but I could see a compromise of using the ESB method which gives stability and still allows you to view the mounting tabs.

Although the original mask tabs were broken off before this particular mould was made I would like to see EFX mould in replicas since we know what the tabs are.

The tabs were not broken off before this mould was made they were unscrewed and the holes filled.

I would suggest if eFX were to go down the route of including tabs not to mould them on to the cast as they were not moulded on the original.

I would fix replica tabs in place with screws where the srew hole marks are left on the cast just like the original.

Chris

With recasters in mind, I don't have great hopes regarding this helmet. LFL can't or won't be interested in offering mass produced untouched casts.

It will be a matter of months when the helmet is out, that recasters offer them 1:1 or slightly modified (f.e as the SPFX helmets).

It will be a cool helmet from a normal collectors pov but that's it. I don't think that the general shape of the helmet will be modified (at least from the facemask) but I'm sure that a cast compared to the master will be totally different in many aspects.

Hmmmm.....I could see EFX aquiring three tabs to fit and mould to the master but not buying/tooling three tabs for every helmet produced. Remember this replica helmet is not the actual original but derived from a mould taken off the original. So any castings of the original with tabs still fitted would have resulted in moulded tabs just like all the UK moulds.

I'm assuming EFX will eventually make an ESB helmet so they could basically use the same mould to reduce costs.

If EFX can produce every helmet with fitted tabs then great but I doubt it would be very cost effective.

With recasters in mind, I don't have great hopes regarding this helmet. LFL can't or won't be interested in offering mass produced untouched casts.

It will be a matter of months when the helmet is out, that recasters offer them 1:1 or slightly modified (f.e as the SPFX helmets).

It will be a cool helmet from a normal collectors pov but that's it. I don't think that the general shape of the helmet will be modified (at least from the facemask) but I'm sure that a cast compared to the master will be totally different in many aspects.

Which Vader helmet do you currently own?

You need to expand on that as I don't understand how refitting the mounting tabs doesn't make any sense. Simply putting back what should have been there in the first place.

Adding tabs is imo a bit impractical and don't really make much sense.

Unless they are making a workable mounting system with the tabs I can't see why they would waste time adding them. It will only be in the way of whatever secure dome mount system they'll choose.

I don't care about tabs, no tabs, undercut, no undercut, blah, no blah, I just wish It could be however it came out of the Rick Baker mold. No chance of that obviously, so we'll have to see what level of cleaning this helmet has had.

I guess if it has one more "worm" or "drip" than what is readily available, then it could be worth it depending on final price.

I have faith in Gino, but fingers crossed that the powers that be will sign off on what he thinks is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back