Ebony & Ivory - PotC compass build-up

Now that's dedication and going the extra mile :)
Shylaah

she`s worth each single step.

I really tried to paint it myself - but the brush is so thin that one little movement is destroying the whole work

attachment.php

at this point it`s not clear if the paint will stick - we will see tomorrow.

In any case I have to massage a neck tonight.

making the fin out of a brass plate. Drilled tiny holes with my smallest tool (1mm) through the scale and the feets of the fin.

attachment.php

Used some little brass pins (actually electronic contacts for proto-boards) to connect both pieces clean together without looking at the silver-coloured solder.

attachment.php

snap together - will solder it later after I have the three struts ready

attachment.php

Oh, wow, that is so beautiful!!

I've been all over searching for the etching stuff.
Hobby Lobby--nothing
Michael's--zilch
Radio Shack--nada
Ace Hardware--no, but they do have brass washers which I already have.

Guess I'm going to have to order something off the Internet if I want to try out your etching technique. Of course I don't expect it to turn out near as cool as yours, but maybe something a little better than printed transparency!!!

Shylaah

If your looking for Copper Sulfate powder to make your solution, look in the garden section of any hardware store or go to your local plant nursery. I know the local Home Depot carries the ZEP brand of it. It is or is in a lot of root kill products and is usually pure if it's in powder but careful if it's premixed in solution as it is not always just Copper Sulfate when premixed.

Also you should just be able to go down to your local Radio Shack or other electronic parts store and buy PCB Etchant which is Ferric Chloride solution.... but fair warning, do it outside for sure.

she`s worth each single step.

I really tried to paint it myself - but the brush is so thin that one little movement is destroying the whole work

attachment.php

at this point it`s not clear if the paint will stick - we will see tomorrow.

In any case I have to massage a neck tonight.

Why stop there? ;)

What a lucky pirate! Who else here can say that their wifey / loved one helps them build a prop! My wife complains when I just try to teach her how to hold a glue gun!

Nice job! PHA /\ Steady mate!

Why stop there? ;)

Sorry, why stop where ???

What a lucky pirate! Who else here can say that their wifey / loved one helps them build a prop! My wife complains when I just try to teach her how to hold a glue gun!

LOL Mrs. PRF is allways helping me out if she can :) So she's acting as USCM Marine mannequin, stitching PR slings, sewing BDU collars and finally is building me up when I would like to trash an unfinished prop :)

making the struts. Trimming a round brass rod until it`s triangle shaped

attachment.php

cutting the "poor mans gold" into three same pieces

attachment.php

finished struts - I am out of gas - have to solder all parts together tomorrow

attachment.php

Last edited:
got some new gas - allways cool to work in the clean living room instead of my messy workshop :love

fixing the pins

attachment.php

and the struts - fin is still snapped to the dial

attachment.php

test fit - have to mill out the holes for the struts next to set the complete scale a bit deeper

attachment.php

attachment.php

looks quiet funny without the dome

attachment.php

Looks more and more stunning with every new addition, every new post!
I love that it's CotBP!
How did the paint hold up on the Compass Rose?

More pics! More pics!!

Shylaah

attachment.php

glued in the dome

attachment.php

insert the brass dial and trimmed the Elforyn ring. The ring is stucked inside of the compass body, so I can still remove all inner parts for further works.

attachment.php

attachment.php

next I have to cut out some leather

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back