ebayer rip off

I can see the point where the people invested their time into the files and somebody selling it off is socially wrong. However it's not illegal in a sense if the files were not protected in a way. Much like the concept of open source. Unless you legally protect your work like filing a patent then it's all open source and the owner has no legal rights which sucks.

I reported him.

What tipped me off, is I asked the seller for creator names of some files. He played dumb.

Then I asked for some screenshots of specific files. He played dumb.

I asked projectavenger in this thread:

These are part of the files I asked the seller. Where here I just asked for screen shots. He could have showed any.

The other tip off is the photos in the auction are Avengers themed.
Looks like he got hoisted with his own petard, nice sleuthing! :cool:thumbsup

I can't believe that anyone would argue to support an idiot like this! I don't care if the guy only made a dime off each CD he sold... how does that make it right? Pretty lame argument if you ask me. Illegal or not, it's still wrong and in no way justifies it.

This is what turns off artists who put their time and efforts into things they freely share here. No one wants to keep giving work away only to see some POS leech from them.

Wow. What an awesome thread to end my work day with. Just one last look through for anything interesting before I head home and BAM! a 5 post banning.

Hilarious.

Anyway, I'm off to sell Tribute magazine on the street corner for $5.

I can see the point where the people invested their time into the files and somebody selling it off is socially wrong. However it's not illegal in a sense if the files were not protected in a way. Much like the concept of open source. Unless you legally protect your work like filing a patent then it's all open source and the owner has no legal rights which sucks.

An artist has rights to his own work. Just because someone wants to make money off that artist without that artist's blessing, it doesn't give that someone a right to vomit that artist's work into the public domain. I hear over and over again excuses of "we don't make money off it" or "we do it for charity" or "you don't own the intellectual property" but an artist is still owner of what he/she creates, period. In college, if you do that to someone else's term paper, it's called plagiarism even if you found someone's homework from a previous semester in the public domain.

The fact that piracy means you are a content copier, and not a content creator. Copying is cheap. Creating can take weeks, months and years.

... and merely sells the compilation to save the convenience of trawling through endless threads.
Well, going by that argument, it would be perfectly acceptable to pick any sci-fi genre you like, get hold of as many related kits, studio models and replicas as possible, recast them all and sell us the recasts as one big "super set", just to save us all that time and inconvenience of looking through threads and researching stuff ourselves ... except, of course, it isn't. :angry

As a new member I struggle to fully understand this concept. It's not so cut and dried for new people that haven't been exposed to this before. Clearly something you've done is covered but what about the stuff in "free paper props". Customers can come into an office products store and copy copyrighted stuff for "fair use". But what is the "fair use" of free ? If I physically give you a Jumanji dice that I make (still working on it) you can then turn around and sell that physical object if you wish without consulting me. But not make exact copies and sell the copies without my permission. To me, there is a difference in calling the forum FREE paper props. Logically, that implies LESS protection.

I work in an office products store. I have to refer people to self service if they want to copy copyrighted material. But it would be absolutely legal for ME to print anything that is here in the "free" paper props section and sell it to the customer. Free means free legally. Free is the opposite of copyrighted. I can charge people to print anything that is in the "free" section. That is what the LAW says. If you don't like the law, then don't put anything in the free paper props section.

As a new member I struggle to fully understand this concept. It's not so cut and dried for new people that haven't been exposed to this before. Clearly something you've done is covered but what about the stuff in "free paper props". Customers can come into an office products store and copy copyrighted stuff for "fair use". But what is the "fair use" of free ? If I physically give you a Jumanji dice that I make (still working on it) you can then turn around and sell that physical object if you wish without consulting me. But not make exact copies and sell the copies without my permission. To me, there is a difference in calling the forum FREE paper props. Logically, that implies LESS protection.

I work in an office products store. I have to refer people to self service if they want to copy copyrighted material. But it would be absolutely legal for ME to print anything that is here in the "free" paper props section and sell it to the customer. Free means free legally. Free is the opposite of copyrighted. I can charge people to print anything that is in the "free" section. That is what the LAW says. If you don't like the law, then don't put anything in the free paper props section.
:popcorn

You are right, it is not illegal but it is immoral in the community.
These "free" pieces were created by artists here in the community. They put hours into creating the stuff.
They could be greedy and horde it, but they choose to give back to a community that they love. So they share it. But the understanding is that they won't charge for their work, and everyone is free to print it for their collection, and nobody should profit from it by selling it.
While there is no legality to that request, it is a moral request by the artists and the community.
They didn't have to share, so taking their hard work and passing it off as your own on etsy or eBay is frowned upon.
This type of action will just result in artists deciding not to share and keeping their gifts to themselves.

Last edited:
:popcorn

While there is no legality to that request, it is a moral request by the artists and the community.

Not illegal but is immoral. I can except that. I'm not looking for a fight. But some people's comments suggest that they
think it is illegal. I'm in a public position that has to deal with this exact situation on a daily basis. People OFTEN request
that I make copies of copyrighted material because they simply don't KNOW that it's copyrighted. I have to refer them to the
self service.

Not illegal but is immoral. I can except that. I'm not looking for a fight. But some people's comments suggest that they
think it is illegal. I'm in a public position that has to deal with this exact situation on a daily basis. People OFTEN request
that I make copies of copyrighted material because they simply don't KNOW that it's copyrighted. I have to refer them to the
self service.

It's not illegal but it is a banning offense and any sign of supporting it will get you blacklisted with a lot of folks in the prop community.

I don't think you have to go to the time, cost and effort to legally protect your work. As I understand it once you creat anything beit a paper prop, photograph, written text etc you have copyright on it and unless you specifically state it is available under the Open Source License agreement you still retail intellectual property rights and theoretically could pursue legal action for breach of IP.

Many fine people here and other forums give their time and work free for other users under the agreement that it shal not be sold or otherwise distributed for profit.

So yes it is Illegal to take someones work and pass it off as your own and/or make a profit from the use of such IP protected works.

I have a blog where I use images from suppliers but always get their written consent and give credit. My work as in the written text is protected under IP laws as it's my original work.

AS IS THE WORKS OF THE PAPER PROP MAKERS HERE.

If you have any doubts Google IP laws.

Last edited:
Yes, you have IP rights. Unless you give them away. Either intentionally or inadvertently. Look at shapeways. People label their (1000's) of items as "free" and that automatically gives up their rights and shapeways can make and SELL copies of that intellectual property at a profit. Not only is this not illegal, it's considered a successful business model.

Oh. Now I remember why I DIDN'T become a lawyer. They're not very popular.
I'll stick to selling office products. I appologize if I've offended anyone.
If there is not one already, simply make the first post of the paper props thread state that
all paper props are for Personal use only. Personal use does not allow anyone to sell
that item, including office product stores.

(edit)
I was not trying to endorse selling any of the paper props here. That was certainly NOT my
purpose. I believe my point is that the law evolves and it doesn't take much to ensure that
you DON'T give away your rights. I seriously doubt that any of the thousands of people making
their IP designs public on shapeways actually sent in a written and signed letter releasing their
rights to their design.
That is either a legal precedent, or class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

And I just (my fault) found the post called "posting guidelines" in paper props that says you are not allowed to
sell any of the paper props. Life is a learning experience. And I am learning, and I do want to be
a member of this community.

Last edited:
Oh. [snip]Now I remember why I DIDN'T become a lawyer. They're not very popular.
I'll stick to selling office products. I appologize if I've offended anyone.
[snip]

No worries mate. Half my wifes family are lawyers and the other half are doctors...you can imagine how much I look forward to thanksgiving with that lot.:( I'm glad we live on the other side of the country.:)

Office products are much more fun to deal with, Especially with my, wife give her the choice of office supplies or diamonds...she's off to Office Depot. Sharpies, binders, jotters, coloured paper, paper clips, staplers, pens, pencils, erasers....she's in heaven:D

I certainly don't support recasting but I still can't understand how people know it's there item and not the recasters who's claiming it's there's? I've looked at a lot of the threads that claim recast and when I see the pictures etc I can't tell a single thing different that would indicate it being someone else's Item to a one I've randomly searched for on the net.

If that makes any sense? Lol :confused

Also I've looked at this guys eBay and surly without someone buying them how was this guy found out to be using other peoples work?

I must add these are questions for myself to understand how you guys find this sort of thing out for my own curiosity not in anyway defending questions for the individuals. May they all get what's coming to them :ninja

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back