Ebay Alert - SS AT-AT

This item from this seller comes up for sale a few months a year. It's been discussed before and I think the conclusion was MR recast, and a nasty one at that. Isn't it verboten to post an ebay link here? Or am I smoking' crack!? :)

Not when said auction is a recast or suspected recast. It's called watching out for the community at that point. :)

The hull and head are MR recast for sure, for the other parts, it looks like he has reworked it with probably, accurate kitparts. I like the display base though !

Not when said auction is a recast or suspected recast. It's called watching out for the community at that point. :)

It's inadvertent advertising. I disagree. Just trying to remember the rules, actually.

Yeah, great base...like the real deal with the markings on it!

No Scott, Greg is right, its a useful warning to many, pull the stick out your beehind!

lee

Hahahaha! :behave

No offense meant. It's been a nasty day at work and maybe that's showing. Let's pull the sticks out at the same time.

Last edited:
How do you report a recast?
I dont believe that is what happened.
I reported to eBay a recast of my work and they told me that unless I had a copyright on it or proof of ownership that they could do nothing!
Therefore the recaster to this day is selling my stuff!!
If you email eBay and say it's recasted , they don't just pull the auction.
How do you do this?
Mars

Well it showed that it sold for $500 Some unsuspecting knucklehead bought it and alot of people don't care if it's recasted thats's the bad thing about it as long as they have a kit they don't care. To fabricate a kit like that is an enormous amount of work and then Mr. Recaster comes along with a bucket of Silicone and WA-LA! he's able to make more copies, recasters should be dropped in a 55 gallon drum of resin to set up like Han Solo in Carbonite!

The true question is what do you call recast ?

Even if the hull and head and probably legs were recast of the MR AT-AT (which no longer exists), the guy did a lot of work to rebuild the chassis and all the parts and replaced the details by true kitparts. I'm not taking defence of the guy but now I would like to know what do you think about the first TIE Fighter sold by Steve Neisen for years which was a recast of the Icons, he only replaced the details with accurate kitparts but there was a lot less work that what's this guy did on the AT-AT.
It looks like no one ever complained about that TIE and hundred were sold and were posted on this forum......

Yes, that's always a grey area Julien. Those thoughts often go through my mind when thinking about this issue and this hobby. Many of these models are also made up of castings of plastic model parts. Good points.

Missed the part about it having sold. That was pretty soon after this discussion started.

Yes, that's always a grey area Julien. Those thoughts often go through my mind when thinking about this issue and this hobby. Many of these models are also made up of castings of plastic model parts. Good points.

Missed the part about it having sold. That was pretty soon after this discussion started.

Which as it goes Scott, is what happened to the last one sold on Ebay last week, was listed, and sold very quickly indeed, fortunately, its not just this board that frequents Ebay.
Id rather know, something is rotten in Denmark by reading it here, surely it makes a bit of sense, not just to upset your advertising certification?
Plus one on what Julien said though, a very valid point.

Lee

I would say that if the person did not make the original pattern of the model and did not have the expressed permission written or verbal from the original maker of the model to modify it regardless of sanding it down or adding kit parts and so on it's a recast plain and simple they are using the model as their pattern and making minor changes to say hey this is my kit, it's like basically stealing a car taking it to a chop shop and giving it a coat of paint and saying it's a new car which it isn't it's stolen property.

Last edited:
If you made it and it is your own original work then you automatically have copyright on it.

Assuming we're talking about this thread, this is to quite right as it applies (generally but not necessarily 100%) to ORIGINAL work - not replicated work.

Even though you might have made a ATAT from scratch you don't own the right to selling the model because the original concept and design is not yours to sell - its licensed. You might well be selling a great item but you haven't had to design it from scratch AND you haven't had to incur the cost and headaches of creating a brand around it first. In reality this is no different from the Chinese fake Apple, McDonalds or IKEA stores. Although they might sell items that are 100% as good as the originals (for argument's sake), they're trading off an existing designs and brands that are not theirs.

The only time this changes is generally when a trademark/patent license expires as we're seeing with the manufacture of the ST helmets and R2 units at Shepperton.

Generally the studios turn a blind eye if you make a single item and sell that as your original art - even a model like an ATAT - but they can get seriously grumpy if you decide to make copies of your ATAT and sell multiple reproductions to collectors because to do that you need to be a licensed vendor.

Obviously I'm speaking about things in very broad terms and there can be exceptions but generally, the core issue remains the same…

Regards

MARK

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back