Early Millennium Falcon Pics

Whiskey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Building the 5' Millennium Falcon

There's an awesome thread going on with the X-Wings. :)

So to keep the ball rolling on perhaps learning something new....I'd like to start the next one with the 5' Falcon.:love

Im really intersted in the early construction pics. Anyone have any more pics similar to this one?

Last edited:
Note how the large plexi panel looks straight/flat. Me thinks it was cut to shape and heated to fit making up the curvature of the hull.

According to Dave Jones (and corroborated by others I've talked to), they way they formed those large dished shaped pieces was to cut a large hole in a piece of plywood and ship the thing offsite to a place that did blow molding and vacforming. The plex would be heated up and allowed to sag slightly. Once it got to the right place, it was set aside to cool and harden.

Dave mentioned it in regards to Star Wars, and Lorne Peterson mentioned it in regards to the Cylon Raider from BSG.

Gene

look over to the starwarsarchive forum (use link in my sig)

in the production section should be pics from the falcon perhaps the 5 is there too

vader195.jpg

and if you got mor post them there please.

regards

Last edited:
That one is of the 32"...

I guess my question is what is this thread for? reference pics of the 5 footer or a collaboration/part identification thread?

Jedi Dade

That one is of the 32"...

I guess my question is what is this thread for? reference pics of the 5 footer or a collaboration/part identification thread?

Jedi Dade

JD, it is for both I suppose. I thought I'd bring this back up. I am in the middle of my build and before I continue with the hull I just wanted to make sure I have my construction correct. When completed, I plan to Kit this for myself, nephew and a couple of buddies(who are all helping fund this project). It will basically break-down to the same kind of assembly as the FM Falcon(Casting an Upper hull, Lower Hull, sidwalls, turrets, Landing gears, removable Forward landing bays for an ANH to ESB conversion, etc.)

Note how the large plexi panel looks straight/flat. Me thinks it was cut to shape and heated to fit making up the curvature of the hull.

It was cut in separate shapes to get around having to vacuform it. It does look flat in the first pic! I don't have any other build pics of the filming miniature other than this. Interesting that this is also built from wood. I guess that these were made from balsa. www.starwarsarchives.com

Last edited:
For the most part I would say I have around 85-90% of the parts ID'ed.

Right now I just have to tackle the Turret. Does anyone know what the cannon mount consist of?
351952533.jpg

Also, I cant seem to find out where this came from.
351952142.jpg

Someone once told me it was from an AMT trailer, but I cant ID this. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Nice pic!

If you havent seen the 5 footer in person, that helps you appreciate the size(compared to the 32").

Newbie Doobie,
Thats a cool picture.
Haven't seen the 5 footer but have been told that it's part of the 'Where Science Meets Imagination' exhibition.It's currently down here that exhibit,so a friend and i plan on getting over to see it sometime soon.:cool

First there are pics of the 5 footer and 32" in this thread. If you're going for am accurate (to either of the main filming miniatures) you need to be careful what you're copying. for reference of the 5 footer you can go to www.studioscale.com I took about 100 or so pics of the 5 footer adn they are posted there. The pics are "in order" where the pics before and after the

As to why they made it so large there are a few reasons. Camera technology, the amount of close up shots that the model had to support etc. all come into play in determining how large to make a SS model.

Can you imagine how much the 5' weighs!!! I saw it at the LA Science of Star Wars and it is HUGE!! They also had a giant Xwing that looked to be about 1/4 to 1/6 scale. Does anyone know the story behind that one?

Brad

Can you imagine how much the 5' weighs!!! I saw it at the LA Science of Star Wars and it is HUGE!! They also had a giant Xwing that looked to be about 1/4 to 1/6 scale. Does anyone know the story behind that one?

Brad

The 3' ft. 6" inch X-wing? This was made for Return of the Jedi for close up shots! It never saw one second of screen time in the original movie.

Newbie Doobie,
Thats a cool picture.
Haven't seen the 5 footer but have been told that it's part of the 'Where Science Meets Imagination' exhibition.It's currently down here that exhibit,so a friend and i plan on getting over to see it sometime soon.:cool

Thanks! I got it from the set of photos that were on flickr.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back