Early Millennium Falcon Pics

Can you imagine how much the 5' weighs!!! I saw it at the LA Science of Star Wars and it is HUGE!! They also had a giant Xwing that looked to be about 1/4 to 1/6 scale. Does anyone know the story behind that one?

Brad

I read somewhere that 2 people could move the 5' without any trouble, but they used 4 people all the time because dropping it would be very costly!

Derek

I've seen it in person. It's massive! Why did they feel the need to make it so big?

To ensure onscreen realism of scale. Remember in '75 the most convincing spaceship FX of all time were those of '2001', for which Kubrick had ordered a 54-foot long 'Discovery' model. The enormous size of this prop was what gave it such total believability of scale onscreen. ILM were following received wisdom - though they did break from this practice with the small star destroyer model for the opening shot of 'Star Wars' due to budget constraints (and Lucas was indeed terribly anxious the small scale of the model would ruin the shot, until he saw what Edlund was able to do with his lenses).

ILM of course ditched the big Falcon model in favour of a smaller one for 'Empire', for greater possiblities of movement. However, for my money, they came very close to losing realism of scale, especially when the ship swings out into the camera. A great shot but more obviously a small model - never a prob with the 5-footer.

Are you doing the gun mount as seen in the photo below or are you doing the original "Y" frame mount

For the most part I would say I have around 85-90% of the parts ID'ed.

Right now I just have to tackle the Turret. Does anyone know what the cannon mount consist of?
351952533.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I've seen it in person. It's massive! Why did they feel the need to make it so big?

Making of Star Wars - Page 69

The models were consequently "heavied up" so they would work with mattes, and made large enough so they'd have room for essential motors, lights, and other equipment.

Reckless Pilot -
Its basically going to be built as it was in ANH.

Do you only want construction pics? Or also old studio photos of the completed thing? If the latter, there are 2 fabulous colour photos from the old 'Famous Spaceships' modelling mag from the '70s I can upload if you want - one of these images I've never seen anywhere outside the pages of this mag (I'll have to photograph them first). They're great pictures - great ambience - not possible with fan photography in a museum exhibit!

Good luck with the model - it's about time someone did the 5' (I always prefered the deeper dome of the hull and the narrower sidewalls to those of the 32'').

Do you only want construction pics? Or also old studio photos of the completed thing? If the latter, there are 2 fabulous colour photos from the old 'Famous Spaceships' modelling mag from the '70s I can upload if you want - one of these images I've never seen anywhere outside the pages of this mag (I'll have to photograph them first). They're great pictures - great ambience - not possible with fan photography in a museum exhibit!

Good luck with the model - it's about time someone did the 5' (I always prefered the deeper dome of the hull and the narrower sidewalls to those of the 32'').

Thanks Colin! That would be awesome! I'm looking for pics whether is construction or pre-tour. I went to visit the 5 footer in LA and took almost 400 hi-res pics from just about every angle.
352275355.jpg

Here's the project that started this endevour.
352276840.jpg

I started to make the ultimate Falcon PlaySet for my nephew. As I started to get into the details, I realized the scale of the prop actually works with the scale of the figures! So I scrapped the Falcon you see there. As I mentioned earlier, once completed, I'm making casts of my SS falcon for my nephews playset with removable upper hull ro reveal the interior. Gonna be fun!!

Here's the project that started this endevour.
352276840.jpg

I started to make the ultimate Falcon PlaySet for my nephew. As I started to get into the details, I realized the scale of the prop actually works with the scale of the figures! So I scrapped the Falcon you see there. As I mentioned earlier, once completed, I'm making casts of my SS falcon for my nephews playset with removable upper hull ro reveal the interior. Gonna be fun!!

I sincerely hope that you meant I scratched = scratch built -NOT scrapped,as in did away with this falcon!:eek

Yep, they're the vintage figs.
352280218.jpg

I had to. Took up the space I needed for the 5 footer. Hmmm, I suppose I could have just given it to someone who would want it. Shipping cost would not be feasible though....at least not for this.

Last edited:
Here are the photos I was on about earlier. Plus another overhead shot - which gives a great view of the relationship between width of gap of mandibles and cockpit width. They're virtually the same. No offence, but mandible gap seems a bit wide on your splendid 'playset'. But then I'm an out-and-out geek re proportions.

At the start of the thread you show pics which appear to be from the 'SF and Fantasy Modeller' SW special. Do you in fact have that whole mag, as there are a few more construction shots in there I can upload too if you like? There's another in the new 'Making of SW' book.

Last edited:
Here are the photos I was on about earlier. Plus another overhead shot - which gives a great view of the relationship between width of gap of mandibles and cockpit width. They're virtually the same. No offence, but mandible gap seems a bit wide on your splendid 'playset'. But then I'm an out-and-out geek re proportions.

At the start of the thread you show pics which appear to be from the 'SF and Fantasy Modeller' SW special. Do you in fact have that whole mag, as there are a few more construction shots in there I can upload too if you like? There's another in the new 'Making of SW' book.

No,I got these photos from an account that was removed from flickr. If you have photos,please share them! Thanks! P.S. I could've saved the playset,and reproportioned where needed......(sigh)!!!:unsure

More ILM photos of the finished thing. What I find great about the ILM photos is they tend to be taken with good long lenses, giving some pretty undistorted views of the basic forms, especially the first three below. The third shot actually shows the toe-in of the mandibles, it was taken so far back. The 4th is marred by a purple splodge, the remains of some awful text bubble. And it's small. Anyone have a decent big print of this photo? It's one of my favourites - I remember it was on the box of the original kit in '78. Anyone have that? Could they take a photo? Or is this shot in the Chronicles book? (In fact what Falcon shots are in there? - and x-wing shots too, for that matter - help appreciated.)

Last edited:
More ILM photos of the finished thing. What I find great about the ILM photos is they tend to be taken with good long lenses, giving some pretty undistorted views of the basic forms, especially the first three below. The third shot actually shows the toe-in of the mandibles, it was taken so far back. The 4th is marred by a purple splodge, the remains of some awful text bubble. And it's small. Anyone have a decent big print of this photo? It's one of my favourites - I remember it was on the box of the original kit in '78. Anyone have that? Could they take a photo? Or is this shot in the Chronicles book? (In fact what Falcon shots are in there? - and x-wing shots too, for that matter - help appreciated.)

I can photoshop it(purple spot)out,if that would help!

Here you go...:)

IM000370.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back