Early Millennium Falcon Pics

This looks like the same photo,but upon closer examination this is an artists rendtion of it on the model box! Plus,the colour tint isn't the same. Here,let's compare. I know that these aren't perfect examples,but they'll do for this demonstration. The first pic is Colins' photoshopped version. The second one is mine.

Last edited:
Yep, they're the vintage figs.
352280218.jpg

I had to. Took up the space I needed for the 5 footer. Hmmm, I suppose I could have just given it to someone who would want it. Shipping cost would not be feasible though....at least not for this.

So you are building a 5' falcon? I wish someone would kit one. I know it would be expensive but for an iconic ship like the falcon, I am sure there would be a few takers. I would include myself in that group.

Uncannyx! Great! thanks for that. But.. but... any chance of another, more straight-on view? And greater res? Or close-ups? If you can be bothered, it'd be so appreciated, but thanks anyway for taking the trouble.

Newbie, lovely touch-up! A nice eye-fooling work of fiction on that bit of the mandible.

Sorry to have to disagree, but no way is that kitbox image anything other than a different-hued (and probably more accurate to the negative) print of the same photo! I know, because when I was ten I would waste hours of my life staring at the thing at my friend's house. I couldn't afford the kit, so I'd go round there, see. Frankly, we were both more interested in that photo than the kit, whose sidewall foul-up was a bitter disappointment to us, even at that age!

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment! I know this isn't 100% accurate,but I had no other photos at this angle to go on! Plus my retouch around the escape pod port on the side is a little rough,as I forgot to smooth it out! The model box looks like a painting! I don't know,as I need to get one of these. I have the toy,but I've never had the model when it came out. I take it that you need these photos for reference? If so,just go to www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/smith_sw.htm#rebby Just scroll down a little to see the Falcon pics. This should help you get the photos that you need!

Thanks for the compliment! I know this isn't 100% accurate,but I had no other photos at this angle to go on! Plus my retouch around the escape pod port on the side is a little rough,as I forgot to smooth it out! The model box looks like a painting! I don't know,as I need to get one of these. I have the toy,but I've never had the model when it came out. I take it that you need these photos for reference? If so,just go to www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/smith_sw.htm#rebby Just scroll down a little to see the Falcon pics. This should help you get the photos that you need!

Thanks, but I've seen sufficient museum exhibit photos - I'm now on an ILM studio photo kick. Museums don't let you light and photo these things like Edlund & co could. The museum photos are great for detailed greeblie ref etc. But for portraits you can't beat ILM, who had the luxury of distance and studio lights (not flattening flashes!).

So, any more ILM photos of the 5' out there?

ILM of course ditched the big Falcon model in favour of a smaller one for 'Empire', for greater possiblities of movement. However, for my money, they came very close to losing realism of scale, especially when the ship swings out into the camera. A great shot but more obviously a small model - never a prob with the 5-footer.

Ditched = I think not... In fact the 5 footer is in Empire and Jedi in numerous places. the 32" was mainly made for the asteroid scenes in Empire where it had to sit in a miniature cave, rest on the back of an SD tower, in addition the smaller size made it easier for them to position for the dogdinhg rocks scenes. However the 5 footer was used in the landing sequence at Bespin, and a LOT during the DSII infrastructure chase sequences. In fact the most popular shot of the MF leaving the DS (with the fireball chasing it) is the 5 footer. Now with the advent of the CGI - the CGI model of the falcon is based off the 32" falcon. So all of the replacements shots done in the remastered versions are based off the 32". Which is kinda funny since the ANH falcon only had 3 landing gear - and now the falcon flying away from the blowing up DS in ANH has the extra landing gear boxes...:thumbsdown

My point is though that the 5 footer is alive and well on screen in Empire and Jedi...

Colin - Some of these shots are spectacular! Some I've NEVER seen before... Awesome!

Jedi Dade

Thanks, but I've seen sufficient museum exhibit photos - I'm now on an ILM studio photo kick. Museums don't let you light and photo these things like Edlund & co could. The museum photos are great for detailed greeblie ref etc. But for portraits you can't beat ILM, who had the luxury of distance and studio lights (not flattening flashes!).

So, any more ILM photos of the 5' out there?
II'm sorry Colin,I didn't realize that I'd walked all over your thread! :unsure This is supposed to be ILM photos,not a general photos of the Millenium Falcon thread!:$

Ditched = I think not... In fact the 5 footer is in Empire and Jedi in numerous places. the 32" was mainly made for the asteroid scenes in Empire where it had to sit in a miniature cave, rest on the back of an SD tower, in addition the smaller size made it easier for them to position for the dogdinhg rocks scenes. However the 5 footer was used in the landing sequence at Bespin, and a LOT during the DSII infrastructure chase sequences. In fact the most popular shot of the MF leaving the DS (with the fireball chasing it) is the 5 footer. Now with the advent of the CGI - the CGI model of the falcon is based off the 32" falcon. So all of the replacements shots done in the remastered versions are based off the 32". Which is kinda funny since the ANH falcon only had 3 landing gear - and now the falcon flying away from the blowing up DS in ANH has the extra landing gear boxes...:thumbsdown

My point is though that the 5 footer is alive and well on screen in Empire and Jedi...

Colin - Some of these shots are spectacular! Some I've NEVER seen before... Awesome!

Jedi Dade

Aye, of course the 5' pops up here and there; I meant ditched as in it was largely ditched in favour of the 32" for most of the shots... sorry for the oversimplification - tryin' a keep the post short! Glad you enjoyed the pics.

Last edited:
II'm sorry Colin,I didn't realize that I'd walked all over your thread! :unsure This is supposed to be ILM photos,not a general photos of the Millenium Falcon thread!:$

You got me wrong! I don't see it as my thread, I was just replying to your kind referral to the SM pics. I was only speaking for me, commenting that I'm personally more interested in ILM material at the moment, but of course the thread is about getting as much great ref for the 5' as we can from all sources...:)

Uncannyx! Great! thanks for that. But.. but... any chance of another, more straight-on view? And greater res? Or close-ups? If you can be bothered, it'd be so appreciated, but thanks anyway for taking the trouble.

Newbie, lovely touch-up! A nice eye-fooling work of fiction on that bit of the mandible.

Sorry to have to disagree, but no way is that kitbox image anything other than a different-hued (and probably more accurate to the negative) print of the same photo! I know, because when I was ten I would waste hours of my life staring at the thing at my friend's house. I couldn't afford the kit, so I'd go round there, see. Frankly, we were both more interested in that photo than the kit, whose sidewall foul-up was a bitter disappointment to us, even at that age!

You're welcome Colin, I'll get more pics of it at greater resolution and some frontal shots. The falcon itself is a real photo on the box and only the background has been painted by the artist. The Jedi edition of this kit has the high res shot of the 32". By the way, how do I post high res pics here?

Jedi Dade

Hi JD, I saw the 32" on ANH on the scene where Leia asked Han and Luke if they came in that "thing" while looking over a deathstar window, was this an enhancement? I also remember that the 32" was created for ESB but was surprised to see the 32" parked on the deathstar hangar during that ANH scene. I don't have an original un-enhanced vid of ANH so I can't compare.

Hi JD, I saw the 32" on ANH on the scene where Leia asked Han and Luke if they came in that "thing" while looking over a deathstar window, was this an enhancement? I also remember that the 32" was created for ESB but was surprised to see the 32" parked on the deathstar hangar during that ANH scene. I don't have an original un-enhanced vid of ANH so I can't compare.

I think that was a SE enhancement.

Here are a few more pics I found.
352919502.jpg

352919505.jpg

And just for kicks, heres a pic of the 32" falcon Ive never seen before.
352919506.jpg

WOW!Those early ref pix ared GREAT!Hey Colin-what cover does the book have that you got this pic from?Do you have a high res one?
52720MF202.jpg

Man!If we had some of this table area we might be able to make out some of the kits that were used during construction
52720Falcon20construction202.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!Those early ref pix ared GREAT!Hey Colin-what cover does the book have that you got this pic from?Do you have a high res one?
52720MF202.jpg

Man!If we had some of this table area we might be able to make out some of the kits that were used during construction
52720Falcon20construction202.jpg

The magazine I got that pic from has no cover any more, heh, heh. Finally tore itself free sometime in the early 90s. But it had a thoroughly mediocre painting of an X-wing, an eagle transporter, a space shuttle, the Enterprise and a Saturn V all floating about in the same bit of universe. As to a high res image, I can't seem to post them. So send me an email address and I''ll shoot you the file.

Last edited:
I think that was a SE enhancement.

It was a SE defilement.

Originally those shots were done with an excellent matte painting traced from a rear-projected photo of the miniature - and it was a great photo, very similar in fact to that image on the kit box.

Last edited:
Nice new images, JPagaduan, though the sidewalls on that 32" are beginning to look too high for my taste; I've been spending far too much time with all these gorgeous 5' shots! lol! Are you really going to go for those fantastic, low, low sidewalls of the 5'? If you do, it'll be an absolutely unprecedented sight (to these eyes at least) in the whole dang history of Falcon replication. And I, for one, can't wait...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back