E-11 DL-44 scopes mounted within Periscopes

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone,

I haven't been able to find info on this within the RPF so I thought I'd open the topic. M38A2, M77C, M77F, M40A2 are just some of the scopes that - among other places - happen to be mounted within Periscopes (M4A1) of all places. I have yet to see if this includes M19, M40 and M32 scopes..

http://www.worldcat.org/title/peris...a2-m77c-m77f-m77g-or-m77h-1953/oclc/722368993

post-214-1284387020.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-06-11 at 12.23.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-06-11 at 12.23.27 AM.png

I found these interesting quotes from members on an RC model Tank builder/collectors forum.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/11461454-real-sherman-tank-gunners-scope.html

"The Scope M39A2 mounts inside a M8A1 periscope."

"M-4A1 was the gunner's periscope with adjustable reticle on the right side"

"Nice thing about M-41-26/46 there wasn't much diff in the gunners telescopes and they could be swapped out if they took a round and they were secondary sights anyway.."

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the M19 was mounted inside an M3 periscope. (Looking for one and can't find it!) The M40 was also mounted in a specific periscope, see screencaps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 125
In my first prop build here I included an cut away picture of the Sherman where the M38 is located: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/15956-my-first-e11-project/

A number of things came to mind when reading that thread

a) what an incredible blaster
b) is this when you discovered the source for your track? It looks like you had another source before that, pretty neat to see the beginning of that
c) the parts you picked up are in wonderful shape

A number of things came to mind when reading that thread

a) what an incredible blaster
b) is this when you discovered the source for your track? It looks like you had another source before that, pretty neat to see the beginning of that
c) the parts you picked up are in wonderful shape
Thanks for the comment, this was somewhat a labour of love for me and my first foray into the prop building world. Its not 100% authentic as it still has the the short (I think 12 round) ammo clip. Sterlings are reasonably easy to find here in the UK but the price can vary depending on what type of deactivation you have - old deactivation's have far more removable parts and tend to be able to dry fire (more expensive), whereas the newer type (like mine) tend to have a trade off for one or the other, and which I believe is down to how it has been deactivated?
As to the track it simply came down to me not being able to rationalise paying for Gino's track, regardless of how accurate it may be, and had it been priced nearer to what Roy's track is priced at I simply would never have looked.
As to the parts, I was always looking out for them and swapped every time I found one I thought was better. To be honest I was always looking for an M38 No 7 I had read another thread some place which had a scope with that number on it so to me it made me feel as though it was more accurate and closer to the real thing again, though reality is they probably had many different numbered M38's on these things (as a side No 7 is the shirt number of King Kenny an LFC legend - my team, you may need to look that one up :)). I actually ended up finding one unused and still boxed which I keep with the blaster on my bookshelf.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back