Dyeing Polycarbonate

red4

Sr Member
January 14, tried dyeing polycarbonate using Rit DyeMore Synthetic using instructions I found online. The results were very bad. I may need to revisit Rit later on.

January 15, I tested iDye Poly Green using the following instructions:
1. Fill stainless steel pot with 3 liters hot water. Water level should be half the height of the pot, or lower. This may be done with an 8 or 12 quart stock pot.
2. Add all contents of the iDye packet into the water, and mix until fully dissolved. This can be done before or after the water has started to boil.
3. Bring water to a boil. Do not exceed 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Stir frequently throughout the entire process, as the dye will separate from the water.
5. Fully submerge the object that is to be dyed. It can be dangled from a nylon string, which is held up with a dowel that goes across the top of the pot. For the small Lego items I dyed, keep submerged for 1 whole minute, then remove and rinse in cool water to check the color. Resubmerge it in 30-second intervals, rinsing it with cool water each time you pull it out. Repeat until the desired color saturation is achieved.

These were my results. iDye Poly Green is too blue. I will test iDye Poly Kelly Green next time.
Zmzn5MM.jpg

7R3hqX0.jpg

The dark spots in the picture below may be due to not having washed the piece beforehand. I have not verified this though.
pfbBkRA.jpg

The light, crater-like spots in the picture below are due to bubbles sticking to the plastic. I believe keeping the piece submerged for longer than 1 minute will fix this issue, as the piece that was submerged for 3 minutes does not have any such bubble marks.
5rQkXGi.jpg

Last edited:
IDye Poly is better than Rit for dying plastics. Also make sure you skim the surface before you put the part in the bath and right before you pull it out. It should help reduce weird marks on your piece.

IDye Poly is better than Rit for dying plastics. Also make sure you skim the surface before you put the part in the bath and right before you pull it out. It should help reduce weird marks on your piece.

Would stirring instead of skimming help? The stuff on the surface should re-mix with the water.

To me it seems like it works pretty well but you may need to adjust your process to get rid of the inconsistencies...

Jedi Dade
Agreed. I'm going to bring it to a boil first, mix the dye, then lower the temperature just enough to stop the boiling. Hopefully the temperature will still be high enough to dye the plastic.

January 14, tried dyeing polycarbonate using Rit DyeMore Synthetic using instructions I found online. The results were very bad. I may need to revisit Rit later on.

January 15, I tested iDye Poly Green using the following instructions:
1. Fill stainless steel pot with 3 liters hot water. Water level should be half the height of the pot, or lower. This may be done with an 8 or 12 quart stock pot.
2. Add all contents of the iDye packet into the water, and mix until fully dissolved. This can be done before or after the water has started to boil.
3. Bring water to a boil. Do not exceed 212 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Stir frequently throughout the entire process, as the dye will separate from the water.
5. Fully submerge the object that is to be dyed. It can be dangled from a nylon string, which is held up with a dowel that goes across the top of the pot. For the small Lego items I dyed, keep submerged for 1 whole minute, then remove and rinse in cool water to check the color. Resubmerge it in 30-second intervals, rinsing it with cool water each time you pull it out. Repeat until the desired color saturation is achieved.

These were my results. iDye Poly Green is too blue. I will test iDye Poly Kelly Green next time.
View attachment 1412212
View attachment 1412213

The dark spots in the picture below may be due to not having washed the piece beforehand. I have not verified this though.
View attachment 1412214

The light, crater-like spots in the picture below are due to bubbles sticking to the plastic. I believe keeping the piece submerged for longer than 1 minute will fix this issue, as the piece that was submerged for 3 minutes does not have any such bubble marks.
View attachment 1412215
First off thank you so much for making this post, I've been searching on how to dye polycarbonate and you're the only post with relevant information I could find so far!
I know it's been over a year but I'd be curious to know how the Idye poly Kelly Green results turned out, I'm looking for the exact same color on a polycarbonate "nerf" shell

Last edited:
First off thank you so much for making this post, I've been searching on how to dye polycarbonate and you're the only post with relevant information I could find so far!
I know it's been over a year but I'd be curious to know how the Idye poly Kelly Green results turned out, I'm looking for the exact same color on a polycarbonate "nerf" shell
I haven't gotten around to using the green yet, and every few weeks I remember it and worry the dye might have expired.

I haven't gotten around to using the green yet, and every few weeks I remember it and worry the dye might have expired.
Just got some, I'll make some tests on polycarbonate pieces. Although I'm very suspicious because the powder looks to be purple. But there's also a liquid color intensifier packets that comes with it, maybe that'll make it.. did yours looked purple too in the packet ?

Last edited:
The powder never looks like the color. If you're talking about iDye Poly. But I've used hundreds of packs and it's never been the wrong color. Also, you don't have to take the powder out of the pack, just drop the whole thing into the water. I'm sure you knew that but I've seen people try to pour the powder out of the pack.

The powder never looks like the color. If you're talking about iDye Poly. But I've used hundreds of packs and it's never been the wrong color. Also, you don't have to take the powder out of the pack, just drop the whole thing into the water. I'm sure you knew that but I've seen people try to pour the powder out of the pack.
Thanks, that's reassuring haha, I'll make a post with the results as I'm done !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back