Duplicolor paints questions

GF

Sr Member
Any duplicolor users here?

I never really used duplicolor, I'm painting a Iron man helmet and decided to go the duplicolor route because of the color suggestions, it applies very nice and smooth but paint seems very fragile and bond is not that great, I used duplicolor primer per direction, then masked and the paint peeled off in a few small spots off and I used low tack tape, do I need to put a clear to protect the finish? I usualy use self ecthing primer but this time I just went and got duplicolor

Gerardo

I'll have to check down in my paints but I think i have a can of duplicolor that i bought for a custom transformer and it really didn't do that well either. I didn't primer it first so that might be why. You would think a primer would stick to anything unless with this stuff you have to scuff up the item to be painted first. I seriously with normal paints were as good as the colored primers. I use the cheap walmart red and gray for those colors as i never have an issue and i have a yellow one that is better than any normal yellow paint.

I usually go Krylon with great results, but I needed a particular color and the reason I went with Duplicolor, also I wanted a smoother finish and Duplicolor does have a much smoother overall.

Gerardo

The usual, wetsanded helmet, washed using dishwashing soap, let dry, applied duplicolor primer, let dry for a hours or so, a fast wetsand, cleane surface and finally applied several thin coats of my main coat.

I use duplicolor almost exclusively, but I always let it dry at least overnight before top coating. that could be part of the issue

The usual, wetsanded helmet, washed using dishwashing soap, let dry, applied duplicolor primer, let dry for a hours or so, a fast wetsand, cleane surface and finally applied several thin coats of my main coat.

Ok what grit did you wet sand it with. some times to fine a grit will cause that to happen. I never wet sand the surface before i primer. the reason being i want that primer to bite into the surface. wet sanding primer before you apply color is fine. but i dont like to wet sand the surface before i primer. just an old rule i follow from when i used to paint cars.

Ok what grit did you wet sand it with. some times to fine a grit will cause that to happen. I never wet sand the surface before i primer. the reason being i want that primer to bite into the surface. wet sanding primer before you apply color is fine. but i dont like to wet sand the surface before i primer. just an old rule i follow from when i used to paint cars.

Ok that might be the problem, I wetsanded it using 600 grit or even finer If I remember to a super smooth finish, which I guess caused the primer to not get enough bite, but again I did a test on bare ABS plastic which is super smooth and the bond seemed OK

Gerardo

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back