Dune (2021) Still Suit build

It looks like the same same suit i was looking at on ETSY. They have it on Alibaba and a couple other Chinese websites also. You can buy the complete set or just the jumpsuit. Could probably make a good base with some modding. I would get rid of all the pleather to start
It's actually pretty decent for a base to mod indeed.

Though I would not recommend removing anything pleather but the shoulder pads , knee pads and the inner elbow piece to replace them with rubber parts or foam.

The reason why is that removing any of the other panels would mean completely disassembly and re assembly would be required at which point making one from scratch would be easier and better (if you had that skill)

For one of these Chinese made things this is actually very decently made and the pattern base is somewhat correct. One really good thing is that it's made from sports fabric (Lycra) and that really helps with heat because this is a HOT costume.

It's actually pretty decent for a base to mod indeed.

Though I would not recommend removing anything pleather but the shoulder pads , knee pads and the inner elbow piece to replace them with rubber parts or foam.

The reason why is that removing any of the other panels would mean completely disassembly and re assembly would be required at which point making one from scratch would be easier and better (if you had that skill)

For one of these Chinese made things this is actually very decently made and the pattern base is somewhat correct. One really good thing is that it's made from sports fabric (Lycra) and that really helps with heat because this is a HOT costume.
How is the sizing on it? Sometimes they tend to run small. I still might give it a shot though once i get a new motor for my machine. Still need to get going on the vest and abdomen. I have the neoprene sitting in my garage.

How is the sizing on it? Sometimes they tend to run small. I still might give it a shot though once i get a new motor for my machine. Still need to get going on the vest and abdomen. I have the neoprene sitting in my garage.
Where did you source the neoprene? What kind did you go with?

Still deciding on that or foam.

I ordered a small and it fits me pretty well and snug but then again I'm about as skinny as Chalamet himself and I usually have to buy slim fit clothes so don't take my advice on that.

You could probably modify everything you need to without needing to machine stitch a single thing :

Pick/Unstitch the following.
-Shoulders
-Knee
-Inner elbow
Use the pieces as patterns to cut your foam/rubber the shoulders and knees were simply attached with Velcro and snaps on the production costumes.

I am going to weather the whole thing using modelling pigment powders , not quite sure what the best way will be to fix that on this type of fabric yet.

The Neoprene was sourced locally in NZ the actual screen used stuff was shipped to Ukraine from the UK and US.

Its a ribbed hard neoprene used to line truck beds and workshop benches it comes in rolls or sheets.

I would only recommend using that stuff If you have lots of money and time or access to a laser cutter because it's a nightmare to cut even with a laser because of the texture and the "weave" I believe it may be reinforced with a Kevlar mesh or some kind of thing like that.

I would recommend going foam or an alternative unless you really want THE stuff.

It is ribbed neoprene, pretty much the same pattern and texture as the pictures posted on here. I found it locally, used on floor mats. Does have some kind of thread reinforcing it. Definitely going to be fun to cut. I still need to do the patterning. Cost me about $100 for two 6x3 sheets

Last edited:
It is ribbed neoprene, pretty much the same pattern and texture as the pictures posted on here. I found it locally, used on floor mats.
Yes it's ribbed on one side and has a smooth coarse texture on the other side (which is the actual visible part of the costume)

Cutting it is a pain especially with a blade as the ribbed texture will make the blade jump and slipping.

One suit requires 3 to 4 meteres of material though I recommend using foam for some of the parts such as the tube backing parts.

It is ribbed neoprene, pretty much the same pattern and texture as the pictures posted on here. I found it locally, used on floor mats. Does have some kind of thread reinforcing it. Definitely going to be fun to cut. I still need to do the patterning. Cost me about $100 for two 6x3 sheets
Here's the stuff

Attachments

• IMG_20220108_085029.jpg
    IMG_20220108_085029.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 189
Here's the stuff
Yep, pretty much same as what i got. Still gathering right now. Have a long weekend finally so hopefully i can get it started. Going to hit up the leather supply to see what they have for tools. I was considering a laser, don't know anything about them though

Yep, pretty much same as what i got. Still gathering right now. Have a long weekend finally so hopefully i can get it started. Going to hit up the leather supply to see what they have for tools. I was considering a laser, don't know anything about them though
You can contact a manufacturing company and get a quote for them to laser the parts for you , you provide the material , for this it would be about 250-300 for the cutting from most places.

Been weathering all day and getting to a happy point finally.

Attachments

• IMG_20220108_134335.jpg
    IMG_20220108_134335.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20220108_134338.jpg
    IMG_20220108_134338.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_20220108_133732.jpg
    IMG_20220108_133732.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20220108_133647.jpg
    IMG_20220108_133647.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_20220108_133632.jpg
    IMG_20220108_133632.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 288
Been weathering all day and getting to a happy point finally.
Looking really good. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one. I asked the seller if they could make it without the pleather on the shoulders and pleating on the chest and was told yes. I guess we will see in 3-4 weeks.

Looking really good. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one. I asked the seller if they could make it without the pleather on the shoulders and pleating on the chest and was told yes. I guess we will see in 3-4 weeks.
There a decent alternative waiting for Big Effect Props to make a perfect version.

It's summer here so the best time for a Dune photoshoot to showcase my padded parts and it's not too big of an investment and can be resold once I get a better undersuit.

There a decent alternative waiting for Big Effect Props to make a perfect version.

It's summer here so the best time for a Dune photoshoot to showcase my padded parts and it's not too big of an investment and can be resold once I get a better undersuit.
Same here. I believe he did an interest thread here. Definitely worth the money when he finally makes them

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back