DRIVE (2011) Scorpion Satin Jacket

...? That's weird dude... I legitimately looked just the other day... The Madison's boots were $200 and the shoes were $170- and I was like wt?! But seems as tho they had a glitch or tried scamming for a day.... Idk but that's weird... I'm much happier now that the price is back to normal... I'll look into it at some point... But yeah man I feel ya post em when you can!

Hey all.
Im brand new on this forum :) I just read through this entire thread.

My thing is I have ordered a Drive Movie Scorpion Jacket from eBay.

On the pictures it looks pretty much the same as the one in the movie.

My question is.. What kind of trademark is these "ebay jackets"?
Ive seen many others on ebay using these exact same 3 photos.

drive-steady-41.jpg

1000x1000.jpg

drive-steady-1.jpg

They all use mostly 2 or 3 of exactly the same photos, but they sell them with different prices..
It makes me confused. So I went for the one that I linked to. You can even see that one got sold (yeah it was me who bought it)..
But am I gonna get one that looks just like one on the photo then?

I tracked the photo down, and they come from Steady Clothing.
Please help, I really hope that I havent been scammed. But most important of all, I just really want a jacket that looks like one from the movie Drive.

Attachments

• drive-steady-41.jpg
    drive-steady-41.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5,209
Steady has the closest licensed replica. Anything on ebay that isn't steady is a scam. Magnoli has a pretty nice replica. Between the Steady and the Magnoli, each one has it's pros and cons. Richard Lim himself made about a dozen for people who emailed him but he has since retired (I believe I got the last one he ever made). The one from Lim is the only one that is exactly like the film version.

I don't mean to come across as condescending or asinine but reading through that actually made me laugh- cuz i have the mental image of those super ghetto scorpion jackets made in some middle eastern country and they are sooo bad! I myself encountered that once trying to save a measly 50 bucks and well that was laughable. Luckily I was able to get my money back. Nevertheless get a return and go fur a steady. You could always offer behns a grand or two for his jacket... Lol! Anyways good luck man, theres nothing else closer to the real thang than the real thing by lim;) well worth the cash that's fo sho! Hope you find what you're lookin for man!

Thanks for reply.

Ok I see now that maybe I didnt mean like 100% like the Drive jacket.. But is it gonna look like how it looks on the photo?

Or are they just cheating people with using other photos, and jacket looks different in real life?

Im Norwegian and I bought it for 400 NOK. Thats like 65 dollars with shipping.
And then I saw the same Jacket, I mean the same pictures:p on Amazon and they wanted 127 Dollars.. what the..

This will be interesting to see when I get it in the mail;)

I just hoped somebody ordered one "ebay jacket" and could tell if they are bad or not

Thanks for reply.

Ok I see now that maybe I didnt mean like 100% like the Drive jacket.. But is it gonna look like how it looks on the photo?

Or are they just cheating people with using other photos, and jacket looks different in real life?

Im Norwegian and I bought it for 400 NOK. Thats like 65 dollars with shipping.
And then I saw the same Jacket, I mean the same pictures:p on Amazon and they wanted 127 Dollars.. what the..

This will be interesting to see when I get it in the mail;)

I just hoped somebody ordered one "ebay jacket" and could tell if they are bad or not

your not going to get the jacket in the pics as it is what is sold by steady clothing, more then likely the material, craftsmanship and quality will be a $60.00 mess

a quick look at the seller and he has 0 feedback

your not going to get the jacket in the pics as it is what is sold by steady clothing, more then likely the material, craftsmanship and quality will be a $60.00 mess

a quick look at the seller and he has 0 feedback
Yeah, will be interesting to see what it looks like. But how can they sell something and not even use real photos of the product?
I thought that was illegal on ebay.

So I guess if I want the real deal I need to go to Magnoli or Steady Clothing then

MOD EDIT: Please do not post ebay links, thanks.

and then on amazon, the highest price I ever found on the internet at 125 dollars. Same jacket with the same photos.
http://www.amazon.com/Ryan-Gosling-Drive-Scorpion-Jacket/dp/B00AYNUROM

Makes you wonder really how they all can take so different prices

edit2:
I sent message to other sellers that operate with the same pictures and here are 2 of the replies I got in my inbox:

Dear alexzandero,

Hi

Yes these are orignal photos

- stylowears-de

and

Dear alexzandero,

hi, yes jacket is looks same as pictured or even better then this.

- maxfashion2011

Last edited:
If youda reviewed previous post... Lims jackets were $945 including shipping. A big boys budget. None the less they're no longer making them... Unfortunately for those who didn't get one in that three week time frame...

A lot of companies making Drive replicas are using photographs of the screen used jacket. The photographs appear to be ones which Steady Clothing took of the jacket they were supplied to make the authorized replica from. The original Steady advert used these images before they replaced them with photographs of one of their actual replica jackets. I've seen ebay advert which have even Photoshopped these images, changing the colour of the jacket or even placing the scorpion from the photograph on another jacket.

This is the screen used jacket:
screen1.jpg
Screen.JPG

This is the jacket produced by Richard Lim, the tailor who produced the original jackets for the movie:
lim.jpg

This is the Steady Clothing jacket in ivory and in black and photographs taken during production:
Steady1.JPG
Steady2.JPG

This is the replica jacket produced by Indy Magnoli:
Indy.JPG

This is a replica sold by Movie Star:
Capture.JPG

Here are a few images of jackets being sold on eBay, there are many variations, some much better than others:
ebay.JPG

Hope this helps

Here are some comparison photos between the Richard Lim replica jacket and the Steady version. Lim's will appear on the left and Steady's will appear on the right.

2ybl.jpg3g2w.jpg
Here you can see the overall differences in color and tailoring.

9rma.jpgh0u3.jpg
And the backs. You can see the differences between the scorpion sizes.

p40x.jpgswtj.jpg
You can really tell the difference in embroidery techniques.

ijc9.jpguod0.jpg
The knit wool on Lim's jacket far outdoes the crappy cotton on the Steady.

yorw.jpg17bi.jpg

v6z0.jpg1dmw.jpgq8qm.jpg
Lim's jacket came with a button and the collar tab had a button hole in it. I removed the button. IMO this is more accurate than the snap button.

5j7b.jpgtkw4.jpg
Lim's High Society label vs. Steady's licensed label.

s8ms.jpg0mij.jpg
The material in the venting is also a thicker wool knit on Lim's vs. Steady's cotton.

e7uu.jpg7kzr.jpg
The zipper on the filming jacket starts higher up from the bottom. Lim's is correct in this detail.

n0lx.jpg
A direct comparison between the shades of satin and cuff material. (Lim's is on the right in this one)

xzrn.jpgp40x.jpg
A couple more detail shots of the Lim jacket.

As you can see, all-in-all, the Lim jacket is far superior to the Steady jacket. I am extremely lucky to have this in my collection. Hope these serve as good reference to all those looking to create a Drive costume of their own.

Last edited:
Great photos, benhs! The Lim jacket sure is amazing.

A quick question regarding the Gaspar Driving Gloves: I have small hands, around size 7 1/2. But if I ordered the Gaspar gloves, would I be better off getting a 7?

When it arrives in the mail, you should post a few pics here to show us how the "real" product looks.
Okey, so got my Drive "eBay" verision :p on the door today.. Was incredibly fast shipping by TNT btw..
So what are my thoughts? Well like expected.. The Scorpion on the back looks not quite like on the pictures..
Im actually happy with the jacket exept the scorpion. Its still nothing like Steady embrodery or Magnoli but for the price its actually not bad.

It has 2 inner pockets on left and right side, and ofc also 2 pockets on the outside, left and right.
But it has a button so I can actually snap on the collar, did Steady and Magnoli also have this?
Anyways.. Happy with it exept the Scorpion and material could be better, but it was good for the price.
6/10

Bilde1_zpsec681e0f.jpg

Bilde2_zps1eae8c66.jpg

Bilde3_zps17086748.jpg

Bilde4_zpsb3817bfd.jpg

Bilde5_zpsbcde99db.jpg

And heres a video of the same jacket from a guy on YouTube.
But he's a moron since he claims its Steady but I can confirm its not.
Because the Scorpion looks just like mine:)

Anyways, im thinking of buying Steady's verision and have a comparison because those ones look really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man- no disrespect but man that guys review on that jacket was one of the funniest things ive seen in a while. haha idk anyways man you might as well go with steady. Any other maker out there is gonna blow... Theres too many shades of gray for interpretation of what youre wearing if its not close to the real deal. May as well roll in steady or nothing at all. haha

Great photos, benhs! The Lim jacket sure is amazing.

A quick question regarding the Gaspar Driving Gloves: I have small hands, around size 7 1/2. But if I ordered the Gaspar gloves, would I be better off getting a 7?

So regarding the gloves i wish someone would have told me whats up on those... but my hands measure 9-9.5... I got the 8 too big. I ended up going with the the 7s and they fit like they were intended to... so obviously if you can go as small as possible id recommend it or youll look like a child wearing adult sized gloves. they stretch a good size size and a half...

So regarding the gloves i wish someone would have told me whats up on those... but my hands measure 9-9.5... I got the 8 too big. I ended up going with the the 7s and they fit like they were intended to... so obviously if you can go as small as possible id recommend it or youll look like a child wearing adult sized gloves. they stretch a good size size and a half...

Thanks for the input. It's good to know. I noticed on their website you can fill out a Custom Order Form. Has anybody gone this way when ordering gloves from Gaspar?

Oh man- no disrespect but man that guys review on that jacket was one of the funniest things ive seen in a while. haha idk anyways man you might as well go with steady. Any other maker out there is gonna blow... Theres too many shades of gray for interpretation of what youre wearing if its not close to the real deal. May as well roll in steady or nothing at all. haha

Yeah and you can see he's nervous because he's lying. "Its movie accurate".. HAHA its a fricken eBay jacket.
I mean the jacket itself looks allright, and people that dont have a clue how it should look..
But saw the movie Drive long time ago, say its a jacket from the movie they would say its pretty cool or looks OK.

I think its still the best jacket you can buy for the lowest price. Only problem is like said here before, those qualities on eBay differs alot.
So I have already ordered the Drive replica in Large from Steady, shipped as im writing.
After seeing this guy on YouTube I was just sold :)

I even wrote an e-mail to him, because we have the same height and almost same weight..
He says in the vid he's 170 something and im 187lbs. Both of us are 6 foot tall.
And now he changed his mind that his XL is just a little too big, and he highly recommended me the Large.

And after comparing these 2 jackets you can clearly see which one is better.

eBay:

Steady:

So now I cant wait to get the Steady's verision. I'll probably have a good laugh when I will compare both jackets :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back