Dreadlocks

Hellstrok

I believe now that i will make my dreadlocks out of Latex, just like the mask its self.
However that will mean i might have to accualy paint the dreads, and i dont know how that would look...
But i think that Latex dreads would be much more flexible and hopefuly lighter than rubber.

Any thoughts???

Bad idea. Latex is still too heavy. Even if your dreads only weighed 5oz each, you still need 40 of them. That's 12lbs. Try taping a 12lb sack of cat food or something similar to the back of your head to see what that might feel like. A typical foam dread weighs about 1oz. If you wanted to do a latex skin, and fill that with foam, that could work, and would remove some of the issues people usually have when making straight foam dreads.

Bad idea. Latex is still too heavy. Even if your dreads only weighed 5oz each, you still need 40 of them. That's 12lbs. Try taping a 12lb sack of cat food or something similar to the back of your head to see what that might feel like. A typical foam dread weighs about 1oz. If you wanted to do a latex skin, and fill that with foam, that could work, and would remove some of the issues people usually have when making straight foam dreads.

I was thinking Foam, but i am going to try to use a flexible material that acts as close to the movies as i can get.
Unless there is a really flexible, "realistic" looking foam.

I was thinking Foam, but i am going to try to use a flexible material that acts as close to the movies as i can get.
Unless there is a really flexible, "realistic" looking foam.
2 part polyurethane flexible foam is what they used for the movie dreads. Also known as cold foam. Most people use this for dreads.

That is an other good solution! :D

I did mine as follow:

Take a round wood and edge it to the shape of a dread.

Take a pipe a bit longer and a bit wider so it will fit the round wood.

Shift your black latex into the pipe... I wood say 1/4 and thrust your stick into the pipe with latex. The latex should come up till it reaches the top of the pipe. Now get your stick coated with vaseline, so you can remove the dread later easily.
Dipp your stick into the pipe as long as you have 3 or 4 sheets of latex. Now, to get some support for the dread, roll some gauze bandage around your latex stick.
After that latex again. 2 times should work.

As it is dry, remove it from the stick and fill it with synthetic wool. Don't use normal wool!

002.jpg
003.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back