Dragonslayer Props

found some good pics as well as a beautiful bust of the dragon:

dragonslayer.jpg
[/IMG]

146301222_b96f16a7f3.jpg
[/IMG]

dragonslayer3.jpg
[/IMG]

Great props. Theshield looks easy to make but where would you put somethin that big? All youdbeed to do is sculpt one dragon scale, mold it, cast like 20 scales and glue them together in that shield circle pattern.

For the fluorite, it will have to be those manhandled ones that are cleaved into octahedrons. The natural crystal grows as a cube.

Also my munsell book says it's a light yellow green on that one shot. If you're looking for a bright yellow then you need to look under the name of "rainbow" fluorite. But that particular shade of yellow-green is pretty common down at the Texas rock shows for a dollar or two. That is if the photo and my monitor are not in cahoots to make me look like an idiot on the color.

I just started working on it this morning. It's pretty rough right now, but the topology flow on it is extremely clean, so It should get much better looking very soon.
6hhtmc.jpg

I saw a closeup pic of the amulet once. I have to look harder for it. I think I remember it having fine lines on the ball section and none on the thin "legs" that grip the jem. Have to find that pic.

Good work so far.

The Chinese have been carving with fluorite for centuries. I suspect it'll survive in my display case. :thumbsup

Pity the jem isn't some kind of quartz. Fluorite is very soft and won''t stand up to much abuse before it shows it, or worse.

Thanks. I recently discovered a trick that will let me emulate the woven thread effect used on the real film prop.

Not knowing much about jewelery. I do wonder how the stone is set into the claws. It must be cast in a fairly flexible metal, so the jewler can bend the claws over the stone.

The Chinese have been carving with fluorite for centuries. I suspect it'll survive in my display case. :thumbsup

True, and as long as I can hold mine in 3D I'll be happy.

Been thinking of how to light one. There are micro lights used in almost the same application. Bright as heck and they don't look like an LED. Problem being the wires. I don't see how they could be hidden on such a small item. I'd thought of doing some kind of capacitive setup so there are no wires to hide, but that wouldn't work well enough. Still thinking.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back