Dragonball Z Scouter Build

Also, the center piece of the scouter will be painted red soon. Probably this weekend, depending on if I have time.

Last edited:
I noticed you work with 'sheetmetal' option. It might be easier just to work in solids..More freeform possibilities. Add a 'shell' feature and you're even...at least that's what I'd think :lol

Good work though!

I noticed you work with 'sheetmetal' option. It might be easier just to work in solids..More freeform possibilities. Add a 'shell' feature and you're even...at least that's what I'd think :lol

I wasn't aware you could convert solid parts to sheet metal! This is such a time saver!

Thanks for the tip!

How did you bend the lens? Did you heat it?

Yup. I used a propane torch for the lens on this one cause I didn't have a heat gun, which caused a few imperfections in the surface.... But I have the heat gun now, so any ones I make from now on should be crystal clear!

EyeofSauron, I just opened up your pep of the saiyan armor, and it's amazing. This should be on my workbench as soon as christmas break starts up. If you'd like a scouter to go with your armor, just PM me! I'd say a pep this good is deserving of some reward! :)

Okay, after a long day of homework I decided to relax by playing around in solidworks.

Thanks to an earlier suggestion for a different way to make the models, I found out how to make them a lot more geometrically complex than the first one.

Here's a rough prototype of Raditz's scouter:
387299_2579566891977_1338545355_32889481_2071934094_n.jpg

And a screenshot of the one from the show:
DragonballZ-Episode001ws_89.jpg

I'll be cutting one up hopefully this weekend to see how it looks in the flesh.

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Any further plans for these, Pierce? What's the next step?

I'd say the next step will most likely be making more Solidworks models of different scouters from the show.

Then, I'll see what one I like best, and I'll give it all of the nice finishing touches it needs. Fiberglass, bondo, a paint job, and possibly some fake circuitry for the interior.

At that point, since I'll have all of the files anyway, I could possibly do a run of fully customized scouters. At least, given there would be enough interest in the idea.

Looks perfect!

Thanks C0mmand3rC0dy! It's still not perfect, but it's as good as an hour and a half could get me!:)

Wow, was I stupid...
Just found out I can save Solidworks files in a Pepakura Designer friendly format....
So, now I have a legitimate pep file for my first design.

Anyone want the files?

I'd add a variable fillet on the sides to make it more round like it is on radditz's scouter....but I don't know how easy it will be to fold then. It's again, a suggestion ;)

me if you have them avaible please

Just PM me and we can figure something out!

I'd add a variable fillet on the sides to make it more round like it is on radditz's scouter....but I don't know how easy it will be to fold then. It's again, a suggestion ;)

I tried that, and it looked amazing... But it ends up being like 10000 faces, which is way too difficult for me.

Thanks for all your help kialna!

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been working on an engineering project lately, so not much progress has happened. I'll put up more posts as soon as possible though!

Not really any progress lately at all...

After I got the first one totally finished life got super busy and the whole project kind of got pushed aside.

But I do need sheet styrene for my laser rifle build, and I may use some of the scraps to make one that's a little bit sturdier than the last.

We'll see how it goes. Also, I could be the most badass mojave express courier ever it I ran around with a scouter...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back