Dragonball Z Scouter Build

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by theP13RC3, Nov 1, 2011.

1. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

This is my first official build on the RPF. When my brother said he wanted to dress up as a Saiyan for Halloween this year (with 5 days notice), I decided to help him out.

Jm419 likes this.
  2. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

First attempt, done in Solidworks:
    [​IMG]

An Elaboration on the First Design:
    [​IMG]

And the Final Design:
    [​IMG]

3. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Oh, and tomorrow I'll take pictures of the finished product. It's pepakura (tried it with sheet metal... Bad idea!), and it has blue plexiglass for the lens. I haven't fiberglassed or finished it yet, so it's kinda rough. But it's not a bad start. Let me know what you guys think!

4. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks pretty cool!

How'd ya get it to stay on his head?

Did you add the little glyphs on the scouter lens?

Chris

5. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Thanks Chris!
    As for how to keep it on, I kinda copied Blind Squirrel Props' idea for an ear hook. You can take a look at Blind Squirrel Props: Dragon Ball Z Scouter

And no glyphs, but I may etch some in if I make another, which I probably will.

And here are a couple pics from 2 hours before my brother had to wear it!
    Still very rough and totally unfinished:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  6. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pics aren't showing in the post.. Might wanna try a host like imgur.

No idea BS did a scouter build, * I gotta keep up with that mans blog. Crazy amounts of talent!

On the glyphs, you might wanna see if the next one you get done can be laser engraved. A guy did a kryptonite key from smallville with the engravings, and loaded em with titanium white paint, and it looked terrific.

Chris

7. C0mmand3rC0dy

C0mmand3rC0dy Sr Member

Cool! I have always wanted one of those!

8. Elleby

Elleby New Member

Nice work! You've got talent!

9. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

its awesome :)

one thing tho, the scouters dont have a clear visor :)
    its either green or red ;)

10. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

I just put my photos on my facebook, so hopefully the pictures are going to show up now.

As for the etchings, I was actually thinking exactly that. I need to look into it though, cause I'm working with plexiglass and I'm not sure if anyone etches it.
    Do you know where I could go?

11. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Nice catch EyeofSauron! I couldn't figure out how to do a transparent colored part in Solidworks, so I just went with clear for the render.

The real one has a nice blue lens like Nappa's!

And thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm just hoping I can get the final product to look as good as the Solidworks render!

Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions on how to improve the design!

12. Harry Bardwell

Harry Bardwell Active Member

I had a friend who "etched" his glass coffee table. He taped off the design on the back of it and misted it with grey primer. peel off the tape and voi la what appeared to be a nice etched design. You might could do something similar here, although the size may make it difficult. just tape over all of it and cut the glyphs out with an exacto, plus if they aren't perfect glyphs no one will be able to tell they just need to be random designs :)

13. MooMooEgg

MooMooEgg Sr Member

oh man, that's so cool. And even though I hate dubs, I want to get one a few and just randomly scream "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!" and crush it in my fist.

14. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

These are pretty neat. I'll be interested to see how the lens turns out.

15. fotokid

fotokid Well-Known Member

Ahh I knew someone would beat me to this! Been wanting to make one for a long time. Looks great so far. Are there more pep files out there for different designs?

16. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

you might be interested in this :)

17. alphamale57

alphamale57 New Member

nice scouter so far

18. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

If you want a cheap and easy way to get the scouter readings on there, you could always go for a water slide decal. Applied right, doesn't even look a decal. Let me know, I could print out some for you if you can't find an etcher. Just pay for the stamp on the envelope. :thumbsup

19. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Very interesting ideas. I'll probably try both methods because I plan on making at least a couple more of these, just for fine-tuning.

I'm definitely going to have to take you up on that offer at some point epilepticsquirl. It'd be awesome to use decals if I can learn how to make them turn out well!

There aren't any more pep files that I know of... yet. I made this one myself in solidworks, and if people are interested I could go into making more!:)

Also, that's awesome EyeofSauron! That's definitely going to be part of my halloween next year!:thumbsup

And, to make a long post longer, I have a couple pictures of the scouter as it look right now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still nowhere near done, but good enough for a 16 year old's halloween. What do you guys think?

20. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Thanks for the positive feedback alphamale57!

21. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Also, the center piece of the scouter will be painted red soon. Probably this weekend, depending on if I have time.

22. kialna

kialna Sr Member

I noticed you work with 'sheetmetal' option. It might be easier just to work in solids..More freeform possibilities. Add a 'shell' feature and you're even...at least that's what I'd think :lol

Good work though!

23. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

How did you bend the lens? Did you heat it?

24. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

I wasn't aware you could convert solid parts to sheet metal! This is such a time saver!

Thanks for the tip!

25. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Yup. I used a propane torch for the lens on this one cause I didn't have a heat gun, which caused a few imperfections in the surface.... But I have the heat gun now, so any ones I make from now on should be crystal clear!

26. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

EyeofSauron, I just opened up your pep of the saiyan armor, and it's amazing. This should be on my workbench as soon as christmas break starts up. If you'd like a scouter to go with your armor, just PM me! I'd say a pep this good is deserving of some reward! :)

27. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Any further plans for these, Pierce? What's the next step?

28. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Okay, after a long day of homework I decided to relax by playing around in solidworks.

Thanks to an earlier suggestion for a different way to make the models, I found out how to make them a lot more geometrically complex than the first one.

Here's a rough prototype of Raditz's scouter:
    [​IMG]

And a screenshot of the one from the show:
    [​IMG]

I'll be cutting one up hopefully this weekend to see how it looks in the flesh.

29. C0mmand3rC0dy

C0mmand3rC0dy Sr Member

Looks perfect!

30. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

I'd say the next step will most likely be making more Solidworks models of different scouters from the show.

Then, I'll see what one I like best, and I'll give it all of the nice finishing touches it needs. Fiberglass, bondo, a paint job, and possibly some fake circuitry for the interior.

At that point, since I'll have all of the files anyway, I could possibly do a run of fully customized scouters. At least, given there would be enough interest in the idea.

Thanks C0mmand3rC0dy! It's still not perfect, but it's as good as an hour and a half could get me!:)

31. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Wow, was I stupid...
    Just found out I can save Solidworks files in a Pepakura Designer friendly format....
    So, now I have a legitimate pep file for my first design.

Anyone want the files?

32. Keven Skywalker

Keven Skywalker Active Member

me if you have them avaible please

33. kialna

kialna Sr Member

I'd add a variable fillet on the sides to make it more round like it is on radditz's scouter....but I don't know how easy it will be to fold then. It's again, a suggestion ;)

34. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Just PM me and we can figure something out!

I tried that, and it looked amazing... But it ends up being like 10000 faces, which is way too difficult for me.

Thanks for all your help kialna!

35. kialna

kialna Sr Member

No problem! I used to have SolidWorks in my education...or actually... still have.

36. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Me too! I've had one design class so far, so I know all of the basics, but some of the cooler tools I haven't even seen!

37. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been working on an engineering project lately, so not much progress has happened. I'll put up more posts as soon as possible though!

38. Darth tyranno

Darth tyranno New Member

Dude this is awesome

39. Jm419

Jm419 Sr Member

WHOA, totally forgot about this thread. Any more progress on these?

40. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Not really any progress lately at all...

After I got the first one totally finished life got super busy and the whole project kind of got pushed aside.

But I do need sheet styrene for my laser rifle build, and I may use some of the scraps to make one that's a little bit sturdier than the last.

We'll see how it goes. Also, I could be the most badass mojave express courier ever it I ran around with a scouter...

41. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

Thanks!!!

42. king23j

king23j New Member

I'm interested in getting those saiyan armor files from you! i've found them on the web in various places but have yet been able to find one to download! If you don't mind :)

43. theP13RC3

theP13RC3 Member

I got the armor files from EyeofSauron, so I'd send him a PM asking. I don't want to go giving out someone else's hard work. :)

44. aniki

aniki New Member

Looks good!!

45. TheMaker

TheMaker New Member

Hi i was wondering if you could please send me the file for the dragon ball z scouter. It would mean a lot to me.