Dragonball Z Saiyan Armor-FINISHED!

Ant85

*Completed pics added**
f4cgy.jpg

257eh53.jpg

Im in the process of making a set of Saiyan Armor for my son for Halloween this year. Im basing it off of Trunks from the android/cell sagas, although it changed slightly a good bit so im using an action figure as a good 360 degree model for the design.

I started by drawing the rough forms on paper, sizing them up on my son, cutting it out of a camping mat, then glueing it together with hot glue. When I started it would easily slide over his shoulders, but was loose and baggy therefore it didnt look right. I then trimmed it, fit it to him, re-trimmed some more, and finally glued it back together.
Next I measured and drew all the armor plate areas onto the foam with a sharpie, and made the straps which I glued into place.

After doing this, I realized getting it on/off was going to be an issue so I looked at my options:
1-Install a zipper
2-Add elastic to the sides
3-Add velcro or snaps.

I looked into the zipper which would have worked, but there wasnt as much room to play with securing it to the foam, even if I glued & stitched it.
I ended up going with the elastic. I split the foam in half under the armpit, and then made a 2 inch deep cut-separating the inside and outside layers of the foam. I glued in overlapping 6 inch lengths of elastic, 2 inches deep inside the foam, 2 inches exposed for stretching/comfort. I had planned on stitching it as well, but after tugging at it, there's no chance it will rip out.

Finally I cut 3/4 inch backer rod in half, and hot glued it along all the piping areas of the armor.
I will be finishing it be spraying it with a couple coats of white Plastidip spray, and painting the stomach/back plates and straps gold. Depending on how it looks I may also black line all the seams to give it that proper anime look.
For the costume I am using a blue morph suit with the hood removed, white Power Rangers gloves with the cuffs removed, and rain boots sprayed with white plastidip/detailed in gold.

Thanks for checking it out.
Bad quality picture, but here it is before we resized it when it was basically falling off my son:
fbixvo.jpg

Early pics:
35iu9s0.jpg

rw2cue.jpg

Final unpainted pics:
2ugzc75.jpg

21q7as.jpg

Last edited:
Re: WIP Dragonball Z Saiyan Armor

I forgot to note- I will be layering thin craft foam to make the stomach/back plates have the right look before painting it.
I will also be trimming off the excess blue foam along the entire bottom, and upper corners of the back.

Last edited:

Change of plans on the boots- today I used an old pair of my son's flip flops, and made the boots out of the same camping mat foam, and covered the tips with layered 1/8 inch craft foam. I will be painting them white/gold after I finish smoothing out a couple details. Will post pictures tomorrow, thanks!

Got the armor primed, and the boots started. The boots still need sanding and shaping before being painted.
al4vns.jpg

2mgo115.jpg

Pretty much finished, the sealer is drying on the boots, so they look a bit hazy. I'm not 100% happy with it, but not bad for building it from scratch not using a template.
250t4zt.jpg

opbx5j.jpg

2kklcl.jpg

it takes 3 weeks. The delay is due to a few hops along the way.

Yea, I ordered 2 weeks ago, so i'm hoping its here by this Saturday for a party. If not we have 2 options: Spike his hair with gel/hairspray. Spray his hair purple and by a powered down Trunks.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back