Dragon faux taxidermy busts -sculpey on foam

Re: Curing super sculpey over a foam base?

Well!
Looks like the foam holds up just fine in the oven, for anyone who wants to know. I bought two small blanks as testers and I shaved off the shoulder area to get them to be the shape I need. Last one I threw out the foam scraps, this time I put a small one in the oven (so if anything went wrong there'd be very small scale death gas or house burning) at 110C, left it in for half an hour and absolutely nothing happened to it. It didn't even get warm - turns out the stuff's probably the kind you can use for insulation.

So! For future reference, Van Dyke's taxidermy blanks, at least the small ones I have, are heat resistant enough to bake.
I wouldn't bake the eyes of course (not putting those in any oven!) so I'll be making the eyelids from magic sculpt along with any other parts that can't bake for whatever reason.

So yay, problem solved :)

Congratulations! So now I'm very curious to see . . .what it is you wanna create :)

Chaim

Here we go, it's really rough and I've only done work on the neck obviously, but getting the face roughed in too. I'll remove the eyes for baking and finish them with magic sculpt after the whole piece is solid.
DragonBustWIP1.jpg

So is this made with white Sculpey Clay or Magic Sculpt now?

Oh, . . . I see you said 'bake' so this must be Sculpey then :wacko

Chaim

So is this made with white Sculpey Clay or Magic Sculpt now?

Oh, . . . I see you said 'bake' so this must be Sculpey then :wacko

Chaim

Yeah, I'm using some magic sculpt on the other one but I don't have as much practice with it so it's not great! This one will be sculpey, but the eyelids need to be magic sculpt as I can't bake the resin eyes. The clay is living doll super sculpey, I only have the standard grey magic sculpt.

This may not be helpful at this point, but I have had success curing small sculpy parts with boiling water. I haven't tried it on anything large but sometimes you just don't want to stink up the kitchen for a small piece.

This may not be helpful at this point, but I have had success curing small sculpy parts with boiling water. I haven't tried it on anything large but sometimes you just don't want to stink up the kitchen for a small piece.

I love how many different ways you can cure the stuff! I expect boiling water would work great for small, thin pieces, I hear folks use it for curing modded action figures and models as it's less likely to warp the plastic. I can't imagine it'd be great to actually -boil- a piece though, the bumping on the bottom of the pot would misshape the piece if it weren't secured somehow. Anyway, food for thought!
I've never had an issue with smell from sculpey though, even larger pieces! weird!

Haha! I hate how you can work on something like this for hours and hours and it looks like you've done nothing at all! Finished off the belly/chin scutes, refined the jaw shape and fixed some symmetry flubs. Still trying to figure out how I want to bulk out the head and add cheek spines or webbing, and have to sculpt the horns. Everything else is just playing. This is fun but painstaking!

DragonbustWIP1.jpgDragonbustWIP2.jpgDragonbustWIP3.jpg

Bit more...

The eyelid is just for my own reference, got to take the eye off before the thing bakes. Makes it look so much less derpy though!
Now more scales scales scales scales etc.

DragonWIP4.jpg

Also thanks :D

That's a great improvement adding the eye lids for testing ... also don't forget to put some a-symmetrical positioned warts and pimpels in different sizes ... as well as battle scratches and scars on those scales :)

Chaim

That's a great improvement adding the eye lids for testing ... also don't forget to put some a-symmetrical positioned warts and pimpels in different sizes ... as well as battle scratches and scars on those scales :)

Chaim

Naww, this one's the pretty one! I have plans to make the other one a toothy, heavy jawed brute of a thing though, so that one can have the craggy bits. This one's clean :)

Kirkside Products in Osborne Park sell Apoxie.

Love the dragon BTW

Yeah, I go to kirkside when I can but they tend to have small quantities of stuff. I get my stuff in bulk off the internet usually, it's hard to get out to Osborne park a lot of the time!

Quick idea rough of the second dragon - plate-like scales rather than the fine ones on the first sculpt, craggier, grumpier and more brutish. This one will have scarring, probably broken, stubby horns and a dewlap under his chin. Should be a fun contrast :D

Dragon2IdeaRough.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back