DR WHO eye drive, leather covered piece p2

Re: DR WHO eye drive, sculpt pics added page 2

View attachment 70124

View attachment 70125

Hi Frosty,

funnily enough i was working on the same thing, heres some pics of mine. unfortunately i made a latex mould and i lost a bit of the bend as it shrunk :/ and it was too large. but yours look awesome. im using fastcast resin. how about you?

hey, that looks cool, yeah i'm using fastcast to, i add a bit of colour to it, i moulded mine in platgel silicone, which is good for small projects like this.

Re: DR WHO eye drive

Well actually a friend of mine made the ones that you saw on the show.

There was a standard one made for all the women and one for all the men,

They were vac forms covered in a pewter colored leather and then distressed somewhat.

Ah good to know, thanks for that

As an experiment i had some black leather offcuts, so i cut a piece and glued it on, i then drybrushed some pewter acrylic over that, and used some liquitex gloss sealer.
Not that hard to do, but i'm not used to using leather so its not perfect
DSCF0089.jpg

wow! people move fast around here, I leave for a day or so and not only is frosty done and selling! but someone chimes in with their version and we hear about the actual ones! Well I guess I went the actual route, here are some pics of mine. I started with a sculpy version
2011-10-06161625.jpg

Then I made a mold and poured a resin casting for vacuforming, sanded that smooth
2011-10-07074143.jpg

then I made it vacuform black plastic.
2011-10-07075327.jpg

I'll have to try the leather trick as mine look too shiny. But I have an idea, I have some that are clear and I may try a two way mirror trick to see if you can see thru them, stay tuned...

Wow, pretty tight Wondersquid! Great work as usual.

***Edit: Oh jeeze! I just realized that as much as I have watched this thread, I hadn't actually commented on Frosty's awesome work yet. D'oh!

Brilliant stuff man. I still can't figure out which version is my favorite. :cool

Last edited:
Great work squid, nice and tidy work there! wish i had access to a vacformer, but these resin ones work well as its only a thin casting.

Why is everybody putting such a drastic hook on the bottom corner of the eye? It's practically straight on Rory's, even more so on Amy's. Other than that, looking good Wondersquid.

Not on my TV it ain't...

***Edit: I take that back, some are. It seems that there are MANY different Eye Drives. Squid's, for example, is pretty well spot on to Kovarian's.

Last edited:
Kovarian's was different from everybody else's, probably because it wasn't mass produced. From what I've seen though, I'd say Black Thorn was spot on with one for the men and one for the women. Most of the hook you see is on account of the bend at the nose.

I'll grab some caps in the morning, I'm pretty sure I can point to at least one scene where I saw 4 different sculpts, not counting Kovarian, she wasn't in the shot.

Hmmm...no, I'm going to go ahead and say I was wrong. I'll still get the caps up in the morning, but closer inspection shows the Kovarian sculpt, the Hooked sculpt ('female'), and the non-hooked skulpt ('male'). I'm thinking what I saw was minor modifications/different positions for differently shaped skulls.

Minor differences might be attributed to particularly thin styrene pulls (flexing), speedy trimming (different shapes entirely), or just the fit on each actor's face.

Minor differences might be attributed to particularly thin styrene pulls (flexing), speedy trimming (different shapes entirely), or just the fit on each actor's face.

Indeed. Like I said, I think it was mostly fit on the actor's face that I was seeing. One soldier in particular has a rather pronounced, outward sloping brow. I think this is what threw me off.

I think the male and female patches were made specifically for Rory and Amy. Neither River's or the Doctor's fits well. Both have a gap at the nose.

Theres a few different looks for these for sure, and they are a neat little prop to have, nothing that complicated for a change

So cool to see others making these too.

A Dr Who friend of mine asked me if I could make one for him, and I thought 'sure'. I made a quick sculpt and poured up a plaster mould.....then pulled it in tinted latex.

He put it on his livejournal and suddenyl I've been bombarded with requests - and as the mould won;t hold up to more than three or four pulls, I;ve just sculpted up a 'Dr' version and a 'Generic' version (Flatter and smoother - like the Eyepatch lady wears).

I'm pouring up the silicone mould now and will be running them in urethane.

DrWhoEyepatch.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back