Dr. Horrible - Death Ray Build

JessicaChicGeek

So my grandpa and I built a replica of the death ray used by Neil Patrick Harris's character, Dr. Horrible, in Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog.

It took about 3 months of [constant] work to build. My grandpa is the engineer behind the entire project and he taught me everything that I have learned to do so far. Here's some pictures of the finished project. I actually got to show it off to Nathan Fillion at Phoenix Comicon in June!

I am also going to post an extremely long, and over-detailed write up/tutorial on literally EVERYTHING we did for the build! All our research and our build from start to finish, with pictures, is in the document!

(click the photos for higher res versions)
P1240183.JPGP1240229.JPGnathaaaaaan.jpgphxcc2014dh01.jpg

Here is a link to the google doc of the entire prop build process. It contains all our research, progress pics of every step along the way, and some PDF images as templates. Hopefully it will be helpful to anyone else out there who would like to also build this!! Be wary it is 40+ pages long!!!
bigsmile.png

PDF File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ljfpYORlK1eERxRDJPdmxXRzA/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
This is wonderful - not just the ray gun, but you and your grandpa working together like that! I hope that I can help my grand daughter like that one day. Thanks for posting and thank you extra specially for the build log - it's Nerd Gold! :D :thumbsup

Thank you so much! It was a ton of work, so it's great to know that the documentation of it is appreciated as well!! It has been a great bonding experience for me and my grandfather!! We have more projects that we are starting up and planning for the future. And I am expanding my skill set into engineering and programming which is really exciting. So grateful to get to learn from him!

- - - Updated - - -

And before that it was a stunt Foosh LASER rifle from "The 6th Day".

David.

True true!!! If read my write up, you can see the entire history of the prop! (Well as much history as is available on the internet! I had to do hours of searches to find out pretty much everything I could about this gun! Wanted it to be as accurate as possible!!)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back