Dr. Hank Pym - T-34 Russian Tank Keychain Build - Ant-Man

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Daniel Nelms, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Daniel Nelms

Daniel Nelms Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So after watching Ant-Man I knew right away that I wanted to one of Dr. Pym's tank keychains for myself.

After talking to IronManiac about it he dug up this article about the tank and we found out that it was a Russian T-34.

I had a look around and found this little 1:100 scale model kind on Amazon and as luck would have it, that was just about the perfect size. Bonus the kit came from Russia!

IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    With five snap together pieces this is probably the easiest model I have ever assembled.

IMG_0611.JPG
    Placed on top of my pewter Starlord rocket button for an idea of scale.

IMG_0612.JPG

Pocket size? Oh yes!

Next thing I have to do is make some "153" number and star decals, paint/weathering and add the keychain piece. I was able to track those down as well but I could only find them in packs of 24 and being that I only need one I find that somewhat annoying. ;)

More to come when the other parts arrive.

2. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

According to the IMDB trivia, this is the tank briefly seen in the 'newsreel' footage (supposed to a mission in Cuba), which Hank shrank. It was decided that showing a tank shrink would give away the keychain gag too soon, so that scene was cut. I took a quick look on eBay for tank keychains, but didn't find anything reasonable. With my luck I probably would have bought a US tank...

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  3. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm surprised it's not a Matchbox/Hot Wheels tank converted into a key chain by the prop dept.

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  4. Sharkdog

Sharkdog Active Member

I've been looking around for the keychains, but I couldn't figure out what type of tank it was myself. Nice!

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  5. Daniel Nelms

I found a metal tank but it's 1:76 scale which is a little bigger than I wanted. I like this one, for the price that is. All told I have spent less than $25 but ended up with a bunch of key chain rings and eye bolts that I don't need.

I remember seeing the news reel, and Pym as the ant-man flying around. There were tanks but as you said, I don't remember him shrinking any.

- - - Updated - - -

When you can't buy it, build it. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly, I was not able to find a Russian T-34 made by hotwheels but it is entirely possible. A friend of mine who works at a prop shop once told me "property masters are lazy". ;)

6. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

I just saw the movie (great fun, btw, and TWO stinger scenes at the end...); the 'tank' thing sort of 'broke the movie logic' of reducing the space between the atoms with the resulting object still having the original mass. I don't know about you, but I don't think I could carry several tons in my pocket without it ripping off my leg... but that premise was treated very loosely throughout (ants are strong, but pretty sure they couldn't carry a pound or two of C4 'mass' on one ant's back - just for example.)

Still, I really enjoyed the film, those points aside. Its called 'suspension of disbelief for a reason!
    R/ Robert

7. Daniel Nelms

http://boingboing.net/2015/07/13/ant-man-the-physics-of-shrink.html

"When Ant-Man needs to knock out a security guard or toss a toy train, the coupling between Higgs and Pym fields is broken. Then he momentarily is small yet with his full-grown weight. Being struck with a punch of a 160-pound adult, across a tiny surface area of a shrunken fist, would exert quite a pressure. As to how Ant-Man is able to couple and decouple these two fundamental fields at will – well, superheroes must have their secrets, but I’m willing to bet that it involves the Kosmos dimension and the quantum realm in some way."

http://nerdist.com/the-science-of-small-how-does-the-ant-man-suit-work/

It's all good fun but mass does not equal weight, I'm no scientist but my guess is that the deus ex machina aka "Pym particles" have something to do with it.
    Ant man for example can jump much longer distances than a human can at relative size, so the effect of gravity on his mass must be far less. The same reason he can fly on the the back of an ant. If mass equaled weight it would break the poor thing in half.

We could spitball and throw out some wild ideas because it's all fiction anyway but maybe the suit channels these particles in some special way so that when he charges and speed or rushes a person or throws a punch the regulator increases or decreases the particle flow through the suit and somehow plays with gravity and kinetic energy?

Scifi is fun because you can bend the laws of physics and do some wacky stuff with it andat the end of the day it sure is entertaining. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  8. Daniel Nelms

I thought I would try something new and cut out a stencil using my plotter and some vinyl. It worked, kinda.

Stencil test:
    IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG

9. LegoCapRogers

LegoCapRogers New Member

What does the keychain look like? From what I remember of the film, it was a long spring with a circle on the end.

10. Daniel Nelms

Right, it looks like the kind of keychain than used to come in rock polishing kits. I had one when I was a kid. I bought a 24 pack of them :)

11. LegoCapRogers

LegoCapRogers New Member

That's great! Thank you very much :)

12. ToothpickJanitr

ToothpickJanitr New Member

Hello me and my girlfriend just got back from seeing the movie (BTW probs one of the best phase 2 marvel movies) and the second i saw the keychain i fell in love with it because im a big tanks person and i knew it was a T-34 with the 85 mm gun and i looked for how to get me one but no one sold them but then i found this and i was really liking your idea and i was wondering where you purchased the 1:100 scale model because i was having trouble finding one or if you have a link on where to get one.

13. Daniel Nelms

Amazon Zvezda Models Soviet Tank T-34/76 SnapKit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FHIOKW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6CrVvbS164054

14. ToothpickJanitr

Thanks for the link i just ordered it.

15. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  16. Daniel Nelms

Okay the eye bolts finally came in the mail. As you can see my stencils still need work. Any suggestions?

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    AnalogJunkie likes this.
  17. LegoCapRogers

LegoCapRogers New Member

How strong is the model? Would it break up or snap in your pocket?

18. Daniel Nelms

Quite possibly. I thought about buying a 3D model, printing it and then casting it in resin but the problem is the little barrel coming out of the turret it's always going to be a spindle and easy to break. The rest of it not so much.

The only other option would be to cast it in metal which again will be tricky because of the spindly little barrel.

If you've got any ideas I'm all ears! :)

19. LegoCapRogers

LegoCapRogers New Member

Is there any way of inserting a paperclip or some such thing into the barrel? but I must say it is looking so awesome! :$

20. Daniel Nelms

It's not hollow so I don't think that will work but it could be cut off and replaced with one, I still think it could bend in your pocket.
    The quality of the plastic is pretty good, it's not real thin like I would have expected.

21. LegoCapRogers

LegoCapRogers New Member

Well if it ever does break off you can experiment then

22. Daniel Nelms

Yeap. Right now I'm just trying to get a better stencil so the numbers and star will look right.

23. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Replace the barrel with a bit of tubing socketed into another 'telescoping' section that is drilled all the way through the turret. Pack the turret space with epoxy putty. If only mounted in a shallow socket, then it could rip out the entire mounting area. Also, turn the turret to face aft so the barrel is over the engine deck (sort of a 'travel lock position'.)
    R/ Robert

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  24. AnalogJunkie

AnalogJunkie New Member

I was inspired by your thread so I went out and tried to find a T34 and found this one on EBay for $9: Zylmex T413 T34 RUSSIAN DIECAST TANK - 1:87

I hope the scale works okay but it's small for the pocket and die-cast durable. Great work on yours so far. I need to get a post, keychain and work on the decals next.

tank.jpg

tank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
    Daniel Nelms likes this.
  25. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Is that the right version (of the tank, I mean... IIRC, earlier versions had smaller turrets??)

Don't want to put a damper on you, just curious (trying to remember what was in the movie...)
    Regards, Robert

26. Daniel Nelms

Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 2.49.09 PM.png
    Here's a picture of the tank from the movie, from this vantage point it's hard for me to tell. Once the movie comes out on Blu-Ray we can all get a really good look at it and make changes.

The model I got off amazon has a short barrel but, that can easily be changed.

One thing to note is the tank in the movie has those extra tubes on the sides, fuel tanks? The plastic model does not have those.

27. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

Oh, that is a definite match to the 'full size' tank. Now, did the movie have proper continuity or did they switch variants between the keychain and the real tank? I Googled for a pic of the keychain from the movie but failed to find one... as if it even really mattered! ;^P

Regards, Robert

28. Daniel Nelms

Yeah there has been no screenshots of the key chain that I know of, it's all off memory for me for the few seconds I saw it on screen. Once the blu-ray comes out I bet we'll see some shots of it.

29. Steiner43

Steiner43 New Member

The Zymex T-35/85 is the correct version of the tank in the film. When I saw the keychain, I thought that they were using the Zymex model - I am holding said model in my hand as I type. The markings (the # and star) on the real tank are not the same as the Zymex model. The question is, is the # on the keychain the same as the number on the tank when it busts out of the building?

I should think no one would notice if the # changed.

30. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

31. Tornadoboy

Tornadoboy New Member

Don't know if these low quality images will help but I wanted to share them anyway
    h.jpg .jpg

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  32. Daniel Nelms

Yes that helps a lot, look at the long barrel on it, and they keychain piece. The "snake" part is longer than the ones I got off amazon. And also I put the star in the wrong place on mine.

Can anybody identify those keys? I don't know all that much about skeleton keys.

33. Daniel Nelms

Are those out of production?

34. Daniel Nelms

I was able to track one down on ebay with a buy it now of $12 so I scooped it up, search for zylmex t34.

AnalogJunkie likes this.
  35. DWallis

DWallis New Member

15MM wargamming is about the same scale, you can pin that barrel with a .5mm pin vise and a paper clip then secure with a spot of resin or epoxy in the turret will make it way more durable.

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  36. Kasdren

Kasdren New Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Daniel Nelms likes this.
  37. Daniel Nelms

Here's the die cast zylmex and the Zvezda model side by side.

IMG_0672.JPG

AnalogJunkie and Vacformedhero like this.
  38. ToothpickJanitr

Yes it does have a longer barrel because it is not the common 76mm gun on a lot of t34's but it is the 85mm S-31 also seen on tanks like the KV-85 this tank is specifically called the T-34-85 because the gun on it was far beyond its time and it could be mounted on its heavy tank brethren like the kv-1 and the kv-2. BTW daniel ur model is looking great

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  39. rbeach84

rbeach84 Sr Member

The longer -85 gun should have then been the one on the tank that 'cold war' Pym was fighting, eh?
    R/ Robert

40. AnalogJunkie

AnalogJunkie New Member

Big difference in size.. Much more accurate scale on the right..

41. AnalogJunkie

AnalogJunkie New Member

pymtank1.PNG pymtank2.PNG pymtank3.PNG pymtank4.PNG pymtank5.PNG

Some more captures of the actual prop.

Vacformedhero and Daniel Nelms like this.
  42. AnalogJunkie

AnalogJunkie New Member

Where did you pick up those keychains? You wanna sell some of that 24?

43. Daniel Nelms

Yeah I can send you some, but I did notice that the slinky chain piece is a lot shorter on the ones I purchased vs the hero prop. I plan to keep looking for something more accurate but if you want some of these just PM me.

44. Kasdren

Kasdren New Member

Look how small 1/144 scale is. Gonna be working on this.

2015-08-28 18.23.46.jpg 2015-08-28 18.24.35.jpg 2015-08-28 18.24.56.jpg 2015-08-28 18.15.15.jpg

Attached Files:

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  45. Johnnyfl

Johnnyfl Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes there is a problem with the density premise, if you think an ant carrying a few pounds of C4 is a stretch how on earth did the flying ants carry a 160lb man on their backs. Clearly the super strength aspect whilst shrunk has nothing to do with density and is a result of some other bi-product of the Pym Particles.

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  46. MiamiLoco

MiamiLoco Well-Known Member

Daniel Nelms when you get this done, do you think you'll do a run??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  47. Daniel Nelms

I guess if there is interest in it, right now I'm still trying to source the correct keychain. Once the Blu-ray comes out it'll be easier.

48. MiamiLoco

Any update on this?

49. MiamiLoco

No updates?

50. Daniel Nelms

MiamiLoco Not yet, I'm waiting for the bluray so that I can get a better look at the keychain part itself.