DOTA 2: Pepakura Juggernaut Mask - WIP

TheRambler

I've hesitated starting this build log because I feel like such a noob to the whole pepakura thing but I'll throw my "hat" in the ring. The hat in question is the mask for the Juggernaut character in DOTA 2.

My brother-in-law is going to a convention next year and I'm doing the mask as a Christmas present to him.

For those not familiar with the character (I honestly had no idea before I started this) here's a picture:

DotA4_zpsd7218d3e.jpg

I've seen a bunch of different variations on this mask so I was happy that when I got a pep file from PeopleintheTree it fit what I felt was the most "accurate" version.
IMG_0699_zps506632ed.jpg

I constructed it pretty cheaply (which usually equates to more labor intensive) by printing it on the back of waste printer paper and cutting it out over some manila folders I've had around for a while.

IMG_0760_zps387a981d.jpg

This part was irritating.

It ended up being too small so I conconted an absurd way I could fix it without remaking the whole thing. I cut it in quarters and made that part of the mask over again. I should have just remade it.

IMG_0911_zps9a138b34.jpg

IMG_0933_zps33f9f584.jpg

IMG_0938_zps13abcd0e.jpg

IMG_0939_zps230c18b7.jpg

It would be better if it was even bigger but this should work. I'll follow up with my further progress when I have time to post more.

Alrighty, so to prove I didn't just start this thread to show off some paper I glued together and then never finish it, here's some more progress shots.

You can see all of the ugly lines I made measuring where to attach everything together. It made it uneven there as well of course.

IMG_1102_zps485f161a.jpg

I did a couple coats of resin on the outside. Then I used fiberglass mesh tape to reinforce it (Yes the kind you use for drywall. It was free. Did I mention this is an economy build?) and did a coat of resin on the inside. I know I should have done more but I left it at that.

IMG_1105_zps26b41549.jpg

Started the Bondo process.

IMG_1118_zps44962a67.jpg

I didn't do a great job with the Bondo. By that I mean both that I wasn't terribly thorough and that there are several rough spots due to me continuing to apply it after it started to harden slightly.

IMG_1120_zps3af08f04.jpg

IMG_1157_zps4869e7e2.jpg

I went ahead and started the sanding process even though it's not even completely covered with Bondo. From the reading I've done around here people seem to agree that not overdoing it is best so I figured I'd get all the major bits covered, sand it down, prime it, and then see where I was and what areas need more.

IMG_1154_zpsfa59bfab.jpg

IMG_1166_zps00f5a640.jpg

Sanding these horns is obnoxious. Here's the other one for comparison.

IMG_1167_zps60569cd9.jpg

A lot of time spent on pepakura projects seems to be smoothing out any and all angles, but a lot of depictions of this mask seem to be pretty angular so I'm not sure how much I'll do versus how much I'll leave like it is.

Sooo, any thoughts? Advice? Am I on the right track so far?

Still sanding, so nothing really to report at this point. I guess I'll post some more pictures when I get some paint on it. I'm unsure what to do with the inside when I get to that point. I was thinking of spraying it black and putting foam padding anywhere it might come in contact with the face of the wearer. Than I was considering gluing fabric strips into it so that it ties behind the head similar to a bandana. None of the pictures I've seen are from an angle that would help with that so it would seem that it's up to interpretation. I thought maybe cloth ties would go with the whole swordsman persona.

SWEET. I've been waiting for someone to make this! I gave that file to nearly 20 people lol. It's coming along great man. And yeah sanding the horns is a S.O.B.

Also that in-the-middle-of-the-horns section at the top of the mask has a tendency to stab you in the head so i kind of cut it to fit better. I can upload pics if you want.

Also that in-the-middle-of-the-horns section at the top of the mask has a tendency to stab you in the head so i kind of cut it to fit better. I can upload pics if you want.

Interesting. As best as I can tell it doesn't seem to have that issue but if you don't mind uploading pictures I'd be curious to see how you modified it. I was actually considering cutting that part out and raising it to give some more head room but at this point I wasn't sure how that would affect the general construction of the mask.

By the by, this will clearly not be done in time for Christmas. I threw a coat of primer on it so it looks more finished than it actually is. I'm going to give it to him with an "It's not finished disclaimer" and then take it back and finish it. It will still be done in ample time for the con he's going too.

I'm nearly at the filler stage on my own Juggernaut mask build. Looking good so far! I hope to eventually get this one cast in silicone, build a rotocaster and then make a few SmoothCast versions, as this one will probably be too heavy and fragile for long-term use.

tumblr_mzie6w8XdE1sfpktio3_1280.jpg

Sooooooo....

I am still working on this. Which is terrible. Well, it's terrible that it's taking me this long at least. Thanks Mace for posting yours. You've probably caught up with me by now. Anyway, on to the progress pics!

I gave it a coat of primer so I could gauge what needed to be done and then I started filling in rough spots.

FCC517C7-6DB2-4D7C-A7C7-96BD6CD1EB15_zps04dhsabd.jpg

59C47DD9-8FD9-4CA3-8413-F12BB2797A40_zps9gdbxloy.jpg

418A7876-9443-48A7-BC00-CAE7CBAE0DDF_zpsvjha6olc.jpg

81900CB6-CE7A-483C-9E7C-A4BFFA2426B6_zpsg752sack.jpg

There were plenty of rough spots.

58E2C297-76FB-465E-8230-961F5DB04399_zpsgzhrqit0.jpg

8F77FC5B-BD49-41C8-BC86-E9523790E6EF_zpstmnbp1b7.jpg
171B7BE8-9F36-493D-8436-73E4582B42DA_zps5dutqu1z.jpg

There are still plenty of rough spots but it's much better than it was. I think I've decided not to smooth it out anymore. I talked to my wife and she said her impression of the mask is that it's carved out of bone or wood or something. It seems very barbaric so I figured some amount of roughness is to be expected. I hate that leaving it like this makes me feel kind of lazy but I really do feel like it makes sense. Now I just have to paint it and make it wearable.

Last edited:
Update:

I used my dremel and a grinding stone to do the detail work.

IMG_1652_zpscc67ccc3.jpg

Then I hit it with a coat of "Almond" colored spray paint that happened to be around. It's actually for appliances, but it seems to work alright.

IMG_1654_zpsf53d4db5.jpg

Now I just have to paint the detail red and deck out the inside with padding and straps.

Aaaaaand still working on this.

I'm bending the way it attaches to your head since the game designers kind of cheat when it comes to realistic anatomy anyway. I'm going to glue fabric strips inside of the mask and then tie it on. Anyone know the best type of glue to use for that? Hot glue gun, contact cement, super glue, epoxy?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back