Dont mean to brag.. but..

Good one. Makes me remember when I scored a C/A last year for a very nice price too... that's the bucket in my avatar, btw. :)
As for the finish, I'd go with Darth Kahnt's advice - automotive paint, laid on by professional. Perfect. :)

....a deal by today's standards....but it kills me that I could've bought one of these about 6 years ago for under $100......

Well, here are some pics of the vader lid :D

[attachmentid=7502]
[attachmentid=7503]
[attachmentid=7504]

Now is there any specific kinds of primer and paint that must be used for vinyl?
The last thing i want is for the primer and paint to corrode the surface..

Originally posted by Prometheus@Apr 7 2006, 02:33 AM
One project at a time buddy..  B)
[snapback]1221486[/snapback]​

Don't wait until it's never to be seen again, man
go get what you want in time~~ :D

Prometheus, nice score. Great price too.

However, there are some upgrades that I did on mine that you might want to consider if you decide to troop with it...

1. Change the padding...I removed the thin padding (after a LOT of trooping) and had KevVader install some much more comfortable stuff. It sits better on my head, and gives me a bit more breathing room.

2. Change the straps...I removed the elastic straps and made better ones that have a buckle system that keeps the facemask from falling down my head. I have a big head, so it works great.

3. Get a better paint job...as a few have mentioned, take the mask to an autobody shop. They will treat it right, and you will not be dissapointed. That is the firstthing I did with mine. I think it costed me about $90 for the process, well worth it though as it really makes the helmet stand out.

4. Replace the lenses...I got the lenses replaced also. There is a guy that goes by the name of lenseman that makes great lenses. Since the CA is made to have the lenses on the outside, I want to change it to have them on the inside like it is supposed to be. That will be done later.

Anyway, if you want to more, just shoot me a PM. I'll do my best to help.

Elijah - VaderFanForever

If you do decide to paint it yourself, just make sure you buy the same brand of primer and paint. The first time I sprayed my Vader C/A (bought that for $90), I used different brands and the paint started to bubble off -- horrible chemical reaction. I used Plasti-kote after that on it, and all was well. I never had a problem with the helmet cracking the paint, but if you have it professionally done, add the flex just to be safe.

I also put fans in my bucket -- one blowing in at the bottom, one blowing out at the top.
Vader_fans.jpg

MY VADER PHOTO ALBUM
Lenses were from VaderPainter, tusks from TK510, straps were taken off and tightened, new foam added with a center channel for air flow.

Thanks for the advices guys.
When it comes to painting it, i can go either way.
Do it myself or take it to an automobile shop.
But i am kinda worried about the guys at the body shop not knowing what kinds of paint and primers to use. Being made of vinyl, i am afraid that the kind of primers used for cars might be corrosive to the helmet.
What do you guys think?

Originally posted by Prometheus@Apr 10 2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the advices guys.
When it comes to painting it, i can go either way.
Do it myself or take it to an automobile shop.
But i am kinda worried about the guys at the body shop not knowing what kinds of paint and primers to use. Being made of vinyl, i am afraid that the kind of primers used for cars might be corrosive to the helmet.
What do you guys think?
[snapback]1223563[/snapback]​

I think it would be ok. They can use the same paint as they would use for plastic/rubber bumpers, so therefore it would have the flex agent in it and it should be safe on the vinyl.

Just my thoughts.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back