Domed tip on Luke's ANH droid caller

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by kurtyboy, Jun 29, 2006.

1. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay, I'm gearing up to finish my lifesize Luke ANH display. I'd really like to add this detail to the droid caller.

Was it ever identified positively? Surely its a found part. If it hasn't been identified then what's out there which would make a second best substitute for the real thing?

Thanks guys :)

2. bobasfett

bobasfett Well-Known Member

Not sure if its been ID'd yet, but I would like to know as well.

3. Bradleyfett

Bradleyfett Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I used a section of an ice cream scoop filed down until the diameter fit the top:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark

4. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well that's one I would never have thought of. :lol

Looks pretty good though.

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ Jun 30 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]1271509[/snapback]</div>

5. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(kurtyboy @ Jun 30 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]1271513[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Unofrtunatly, I can't remember which size I used- there are several sizes available. Just remember that the dome is more pronounced than you migh think- in fact, mine could stand to be a little taller (using a section of a smaller diameter scoop). Certainly use a diameter smaller than the ones folks were using to make themal detonators a few years ago.

Mark

6. Macklin

Macklin Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the original had a small hole in the top. 1/8" or 5/16", I think.

7. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(Macklin @ Jun 30 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]1271693[/snapback]</div>
    I read that too, but I can't find any evidence of it by watching the movie on DVD- I can't see a hole in Luke's caller or the Jawas's caller (the other one with the domed top). I'd love to be able to put the hole in mine though, as I have a buzzer in mine that needs a was for more sound to get out.

Mark

8. Darthmagpie

Darthmagpie Well-Known Member

Wasn't there some speculation that it was a bell, "ring bell for service" style, top?

9. Bradleyfett

<div class='quotetop'>(Darthmagpie @ Jul 1 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1272055[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds like as good a guess as anything- the shape is so simple, it could be a lot of things. I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

As far as the hole issue goes- I wonder if lonepigeon/ Chris Trevas could chime in on this one- I'd like to know if he has some picture reference of the hole in the tip.

Mark

10. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

It always looked to me like one of the metal glides that used to go on furniture legs.

11. lonepigeon

lonepigeon Sr Member

I've posted a couple pics of the hole in the past, but I don't have them handy.
    I will have to look for them and likely rescan one of them.