Doctor Who:The Eccleston Jacket Identified!!!

AshGL1914

Sr Member
All right, everybody I found this on the net a week ago or so. It's not a vintage WWII jacket, but a little closer in time to our own. First...here is the jacket front.
61489.jpg

Then back.
61489203.jpg

Now, LOOK AT THE LINING.
61489204.jpg

Only the WWII vintage jackets don't have a brownish/golden lining like The Doctor's. The Bad Wolf reproduction does but that's because The Doctor's jacket has it.

NOW, look at the tag.
61489205.jpg

ThatÂ’s right Ladies and Gents itÂ’s a 1980s or '90 fashion reproduction of a WWII jacket.

Never let it be said that obsessive compulsiveness never yielded good things. Now if anybody finds one out there, let me just now call "Dibs".

John

It's a close match, certainly. But the Eccleston coat was specially made by the costume department, like the Tennant over coat and suit. Nothing is off the peg, it seems. :(

<div class='quotetop'>(Zev @ May 18 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]1246615[/snapback]</div>
It's a close match, certainly. But the Eccleston coat was specially made by the costume department, like the Tennant over coat and suit. Nothing is off the peg, it seems. :(
[/b]

From what I've read, the jacket wasn't made by the studio. Here's a couple of links for jacket information. The first one has some studio history for the jacket and the second one has history of the design and also some pretty pricey reproductions. The Tannery West jacket may indeed be the correct one but we can assume it was based on the old German jacket from this site. K

jacket discussion thread

history and reproduction

Edit: Just re-read the original post and noticed the Bad Wolf reference. Completely missed it the first time.

I own that jacket. Those pics are from the Ebay auction that I found and bought it off of. You won't belive how cheap I got it for. It is nearly perfect compared to Eccleston's coat. I love it and it fits me perfectly. It is very warm and no one who has seen it believes how good and extremely close to the Doctor's coat it is.
I have proof just so you can see me wearing it.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/baumgarner/alb...460762351764637

What do you think?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zev @ May 19 2006, 03:36 AM) [snapback]1246615[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

No - if you watch confidential for series one, the costume designer explains how they had one made, matching the description in the script for Rose, but when Eccleston tried it, he didn't like it. At that point, they went on a retro clothes store raid and bought a load of different types and Chris chose his own.

Re: Doctor Who:The Eccleston Jacket Identified!!!

I own that jacket. Those pics are from the Ebay auction that I found and bought it off of. You won't belive how cheap I got it for. It is nearly perfect compared to Eccleston's coat. I love it and it fits me perfectly. It is very warm and no one who has seen it believes how good and extremely close to the Doctor's coat it is.
I have proof just so you can see me wearing it.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/baumgarner/alb...460762351764637

What do you think?

Any chance of re-posting that pic. I would love to see it. I just ordered a Bad Wolf a few weeks ago. Thanks!

I used to have the same jacket as the Eccleston Dr. I bought it in the late 70's from Harrington's in the Sheffield market, UK ( don't know if it's still there though). Wish now, i still had it :cry. There's probably still a few around i would think.

10 BW sleeve liner.jpg1 BW front.jpg5 BW back.jpg11 BW closed.jpgBad Wolf Label 2014.jpg

Here's the Bad Wolf. Just out of the box. Great leather, lots of character and quite soft. This is not as heavy as I feared. Shipping weight 4 lbs. It feels great!

All right, everybody I found this on the net a week ago or so. It's not a vintage WWII jacket, but a little closer in time to our own. First...here is the jacket front.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/AshGL1914/61489.jpg

Then back.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/AshGL1914/61489203.jpg

Now, LOOK AT THE LINING.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/AshGL1914/61489204.jpg

Only the WWII vintage jackets don't have a brownish/golden lining like The Doctor's. The Bad Wolf reproduction does but that's because The Doctor's jacket has it.

NOW, look at the tag.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/AshGL1914/61489205.jpg

ThatÂ’s right Ladies and Gents itÂ’s a 1980s or '90 fashion reproduction of a WWII jacket.

Never let it be said that obsessive compulsiveness never yielded good things. Now if anybody finds one out there, let me just now call "Dibs".

John

U1.JPGU2.JPG

Old thread, but perhaps still some interest. Here is the Real Deal. WWII German UBoat coat. Original lining and Kriegsmarine buttons. No maker label. It's heave and awesome leather with just the slightest smell of diesel fuel. I have changed out the buttons to black since the photos.

Interest here, just put it on the backburner as I still need to get my 10 coat done and have gotten distracted with other stuff. I was looking into getting a decent version of it done and trying to identify certain details about it. Think I figured out most and had found a decent lining though it looks slightly darker there than some of the other reference pics I had found. Maybe just age or lighting. Thanks for the pics!

Interest here, just put it on the backburner as I still need to get my 10 coat done and have gotten distracted with other stuff. I was looking into getting a decent version of it done and trying to identify certain details about it. Think I figured out most and had found a decent lining though it looks slightly darker there than some of the other reference pics I had found. Maybe just age or lighting. Thanks for the pics!

Here are some better shots for ya, S2k. This is with changed out bottons...better representation of the faded black color

Authentic 1.jpg

collar.jpg

seam.jpg

front.jpg

belt.jpg

To be honest, I believe the Tannery West is not the model used in the show. The main difference, as far as I can see from the small pics, is the breast seam. The hero jacket has the peak pointing down right above the side pockets, while the Tannery West one has the peak closer to the inside. It's a small difference, but enough to be able to say they are definitely different.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back