Doctor Who: Amy's Sonic Probe

I don't think the su probe is illuminated, looks more like the way the studio lighting catches the acrylic rods to me. Note that all the other illuminated props (the black box, Rory's big magnifying glass) are very bright, and have that 'hazy glow' of an electronic prop, that I'm not seeing with the probe.

Hodriss, what did you use for the blue part between the rods, is it a clear pen lid?

I don't think the su probe is illuminated, looks more like the way the studio lighting catches the acrylic rods to me. Note that all the other illuminated props (the black box, Rory's big magnifying glass) are very bright, and have that 'hazy glow' of an electronic prop, that I'm not seeing with the probe.

Hodriss, what did you use for the blue part between the rods, is it a clear pen lid?

It's a greeny-blue toothbrush handle, the cheap kind you get in Boots.

So ..... I was looking at Who stuff on eBay and came across a picture of this playing card. It shows a full on frontal shot of the prop. Pretty good detail too:

sonicprobe.png

Looks like the "crystal" is held on by springs.
It also looks like the box thing attached to the phone has pins on the left hand side. Maybe some kind of scart plug box? Dunno, just looks like pins to me.
The other thing I noticed is that the wires look like they're soldered to the inside of the phone buttons, like the outer keypad was ripped off and the wires soldered to it.

Either way it's a nice picture, even for the line details on the box :)

EDIT: Also, for those who care, there is also a Sonic Cane playing card which shows the head of the cane opened up. You can't see much detail on that though.

EDIT 2: Scrolling up and looking at the "black box" that Amy pulls out of the handbot, it has the same 'corner' on it. It has the same lines on the underside. I think it was a 'Black Box' on top of the phone. It also has the inner green lighting or whatever that is that the black box had. In her hand it looked huge but it does look like what is attached to the phone upon closer inspection. It would also make sense, story wise given she probably made it from things she had on her at the time.

Thanks.

Maybe I'm too picky but it may not be close enough...

... Should I risk making a mess of the rep I already made in order to bring it that bit closer to the original prop or should I just leave it and relax?

I love this place. I just saw this episode today, and I loved it, and this prop. Of course the first thing I did was come here and do a search, because I just know that someone here would tackle it. :)

Hordriss I love your replica, I just hope when I get to work on mine, it turns out half as good. (though it will be quite some time before I can work on one of my own.)

I love this place. I just saw this episode today, and I loved it, and this prop. Of course the first thing I did was come here and do a search, because I just know that someone here would tackle it. :)

Hordriss I love your replica, I just hope when I get to work on mine, it turns out half as good. (though it will be quite some time before I can work on one of my own.)

Thanks, I suggest you look for the trading card for it, it's got a much better picture than the one's that I used.

Well, Hm. I looked into getting one of the phones, on the cheep, to make my own. And yes they see really cheep on ebay UK, but all the ones I could find would not ship to the states, and the ones listed on the us version of ebay, are way more expencive for some reason. (like I saw some in the UK for less then $5. but over here some of them were selling for $50. or more.)

Well, I guess I'll keep looking. It just seemed odd to me that they are worth so much over here, and basically worthless over there.

So I've acquired the dummy phone to build this prop from eBay. Could one of you gents direct me as to what the black top piece is that goes over the phone?

Was hoping the dummy phone would just have a dummy battery but no luck.

Hey Hordriss Making it better is always good but don't rush..

I made a 10th doctor prop Sonic and I tryed to make it better and broke the whole thing...

Have a go sure, but just don't rush. (Seen as you are making props I assume you have a the time in the world to do it :D )

Hey Hordriss Just a guess is that matchsticks painted silver on your rep.?

Just a guess.

Anyway, I was thinking that i could make the black thing on top accommodate a 2xAA Bat. Pack to power LEDs and Sounds. Also I could expose those wires to make it look better with some of my copper wire for the outside...

Does it make any sounds?

http://computergenius.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-Probe-260760799 Some Art of it... Looks amazing on here.

I could be wrong, but the box on top looks like a 9 volt battery encased in some sort of shell, which would explain the two pin like things sticking out the bottom

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back