Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special Prop Discussion Thread

Here is, possibly, the big red button for 'the moment'

Red Crystal Diamond Paperweight Award - Engraved Corporate Employee Recognition Awards

Or, this is a current eBay auction with a multiple buy it now, so I think posting it is safe. And it is half of the cost.

100mm 4'' Round Sapphire Glass Crystal Diamond Shaped Paperweight Ruby Red | eBay

The second one looks like a winner. 4" diameter seems just right. My coffee mug is 4" in diameter and when I set my hand over it, the edges hit my second knuckle and near the base of my palm similar to this:

doctorwho.jpg

The second one looks like a winner. 4" diameter seems just right. My coffee mug is 4" in diameter and when I set my hand over it, the edges hit my second knuckle and near the base of my palm similar to this:

View attachment 261444
FYI, they sell these at Hobby Lobby all the time if there's one close to you. They're $10 and they always have a 40% off coupon. Actually, glassware is commonly 50% off. I got one of these and the small, clear diamond for the "white point star" from the End of time Episode episode for cheap.

Nice, I remembered seeing a few sizes there in the past and forgot to go look the last couple of weekends. Do they have the 4" size?

For anyone who can use these or wants them, I've played around with the official, high res, BBC file of the symbols. I found the image on the Rubbertoe Replicas page. I put them in a layout from the one side of the box. The only edited one is number 9 (far left, third row down) as it was different. Everything else seems right though.

Symbols (With Grid)
Symbols (Without Grid)

I've added the image without the grid so that people can re-draw or add things when better photos of this side come out. Plus if my grid is off, they can re-line things up and get proportions right if necessary (which it no doubt will be lol).

Either way let me know if anything looks off or needs changing.

Nice, I remembered seeing a few sizes there in the past and forgot to go look the last couple of weekends. Do they have the 4" size?
I think the ones they have are 3.5", maybe? It's not quite 4".
For anyone who can use these or wants them, I've played around with the official, high res, BBC file of the symbols. I found the image on the Rubbertoe Replicas page. I put them in a layout from the one side of the box. The only edited one is number 9 (far left, third row down) as it was different. Everything else seems right though.

Symbols (With Grid)
Symbols (Without Grid)

I've added the image without the grid so that people can re-draw or add things when better photos of this side come out. Plus if my grid is off, they can re-line things up and get proportions right if necessary (which it no doubt will be lol).

Either way let me know if anything looks off or needs changing.
Excellent! Thank you!

Hi all, went to the doctor who experience today, was bored and fancied something to do. I have been a few times as I only live 20 minutes away. I didn't go to the tour or the museum section today as not a lot has been added since the last time I visited when the tardis set in the bbc studios was opened up for tours. What they did have in the reception of the experience though today was The Moment box.
Thought you may all want to know so you can check it out if any of you plan on making it?
It looks spectacular!!

Chris.

Hi there,

I visited the Experience before Christmas and took a few pictures of the Moment.

They are through a perspex case and shot with an iPhone so excuse the dubious quality...

Moment 7.jpg
Moment 1.jpg
Moment 2.jpg
Moment 3.jpg
Moment 4.jpg
Moment 5.jpg
Moment 6.jpg

Dalroi.

Dalroi, FANTASTIC pictures, THANK YOU! That thing is a work of art. Can't wait to get it all drawn up.

My pleasure, I'm happy to help your project move closer to fruition! :)

Dalroi.

Were you able to get a good idea of the dimensions of the box? I've estimated it at roughly 1 foot, but I could be off by an inch or maybe 2. There's not a lot to go off of for scale in the show.

Unfortunately not, it looked to be approx 1 foot but I don't have any reference as to the exact size.

Sorry. :(

Dalroi

Well, despite still not knowing the exact size, I've started drawing the sides. I did the easiest one first, thanks to WarMachine's putting the correct symbols together earlier in the thread. Next up is the screen side and then probably the gears. Going smoothly so far.

Three sides down, and making good progress on the next.

Quick question though. On the side with the gears that's most clearly visible on the sonic toy packaging, there are two flat blade screws visible in the bottom left and top right corners. My guess is these are there to hold the panel underneath that holds to gears themselves in place. They've been painted over with the rest of the panel, so probably not meant to be seen. So the question is, should I include the screws in my build, or just glue everything together and not have any visible hardware?

That is the big question isn't it? It always boils down to 'screen accurate' or 'concept accurate'. If you want a dead on screen prop...screws. If you are going for what it was meant to be in the universe....no screws. I'm pretty sure Timelords got away from the need for screw. I would go without myself, as the character held it....but several want it just as the actor held it.

Three sides down, and making good progress on the next.

Quick question though. On the side with the gears that's most clearly visible on the sonic toy packaging, there are two flat blade screws visible in the bottom left and top right corners. My guess is these are there to hold the panel underneath that holds to gears themselves in place. They've been painted over with the rest of the panel, so probably not meant to be seen. So the question is, should I include the screws in my build, or just glue everything together and not have any visible hardware?

I was leaning in that direction. The third option would be to laser engrave a circle with a line through it there and make it just look like some Timelord writing.

If Timelords got away from screws, why did the Doctor develop a Sonic Screwdriver? We see him use it to work on the TARDIS in the classic series.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back