DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

I thought I got these pictures from this thread. Maybe it was another? But either way u can see the gap here.

f37859c9c2fb272f51fadc82ab6b03c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good!

I'm just a 'scope away from finishing my own Hoth/Bespin hybrid build with (so far) all Boba Debt parts (I want to keep it all-metal, so I'm waiting to see who gets a scope available first - FieldMarshall or DEC :).

I thought I got these pictures from this thread. Maybe it was another? But either way u can see the gap here.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170327/f37859c9c2fb272f51fadc82ab6b03c8.jpg

This is a great reference. In the upper left shot you can see that the spacer is "double stacked" like I noted from the exhibition. Thick brass part then a thinner "silver coloured" (nickel/alu/steel - not sure) spacer before the bracket starts.

This is a great reference. In the upper left shot you can see that the spacer is "double stacked" like I noted from the exhibition. Thick brass part then a thinner "silver coloured" (nickel/alu/steel - not sure) spacer before the bracket starts.
In those shots it seems to still have the black cylinder in place. That explains the glue residue you saw on the disc.

In those shots it seems to still have the black cylinder in place. That explains the glue residue you saw on the disc.

Yeah, that is cool and the disc on the outer part of the bracket definitely wasn't a thoren's disc at the exhibition. Will anyone put the black cylinder on?

I believe the thoren's disc was ID'd from a magazine photo depicting the prop in the same state as the exhibition. The magazine photo and the exhibited blaster have paint scratches in the same places on that specific part, so it hasn't been altered since the magazine photo shoot. Therefore, the disc was unlikely to ever have been a thoren's disc, wasn't one in the magazine shot, and isn't now. (Just to clarify, although I haven't been following so I'm not sure if people still hold to the thoren's theory)

Yeah, that is cool and the disc on the outer part of the bracket definitely wasn't a thoren's disc at the exhibition. Will anyone put the black cylinder on?

I believe the thoren's disc was ID'd from a magazine photo depicting the prop in the same state as the exhibition. The magazine photo and the exhibited blaster have paint scratches in the same places on that specific part, so it hasn't been altered since the magazine photo shoot. Therefore, the disc was unlikely to ever have been a thoren's disc, wasn't one in the magazine shot, and isn't now. (Just to clarify, although I haven't been following so I'm not sure if people still hold to the thoren's theory)
I don't :lol

although until I find some brass tube, longer screws and this disc/cylinder I'll leave mine on there :/

I'm dying to know what it was

Thank you for all the info u have shared. It's easy to get lost in these threads and forget who/where certain info was obtained but ur insight was invaluable to me when I was designing my build for this HOTH blaster. Especially with regards to the spacer and the flash hider. [emoji482]
de7a2295842fb6ce11782d998cac3977.jpg
4dd1d43b6552d9cda95e70fee3d6d464.jpg

Does chubsANDdoggers replica

resemble what you saw mortifactor ?

Could the thin spacer disk been a Thorens disk, with the embossed area facing into the brass (tube) part?
It seems plausible.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what was written, the two spacers are the same size, and slightly larger than the disc on the front of the bracket.

Does @chubsANDdoggers replica

resemble what you saw @mortifactor ?

Could the thin spacer disk been a Thorens disk, with the embossed area facing into the brass (tube) part?
It seems plausible.

I'd be interested to know this as well.

I have made a new spacer myself. thanks to newmagrathea I got a piece of brass stock, and I JB Welded an identical diameter 2-3mm aluminum ring ontop of it. Waiting for new (correct) phillips head screws from China, then I'll post pics. Anyone replacing their thorens disc with metal stock?

I made this one on my little lathe with aluminum. Unfortunately, I sold this blaster awhile back.
13ec6237c8909df940e75bf81fbccddf.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Does @chubsANDdoggers replica

resemble what you saw @mortifactor ?

It seems plausible.

The silver spacer and the brass looking part were the same diameter if I remember correctly. If I said they weren't originally, ignore what I say now.

I also wasn't 100% sure it was brass, it just looked brass coloured. I've since thought maybe it was a zinc plated thing. Also, there is no way to tell if it was a tube or solid. The thoren's disk was only identified (mis-identified) from a magazine photo of the prop from a decade or so ago, the prop is in the same condition nowadays (with the same paint/glue pattern) and the part that was said to be a thoren's was definitely not one. So there is no reason for a thoren's disk to enter the conversation anymore, as familiar a part it may feel.
@chubsANDdoggers Your flash hider shape looks good, but it was aluminium with a painted overspray effect, very fine, making it look grey from a few feet back. It had handling scratches at the exhibition and fresh aluminium was showing through. I remember the drawn on knurling being a bit finer.

I am reluctant to trust my memory now. I wrote everything in the thread when it was fresh in my mind, at one point literally 5 minutes after I had seen it. I took notes when I looked at it then sat outside and typed it up. I think I saw it 3 times in total.

Frustratingly, in the Japanese papers recently there have been calls for museums and galleries to abolish the "no photo" rule in anticipation for all the 2020 related tourism!
Btw, if you have time and can figure out google translate, you can search the Japanese internet for more press release photos (the clear exhibition photos I found from Japanese local news sites and twitter). I haven't had the time to find more, as I am a Luke ESB Bespin DL-44 man! Sorry Hoth Han!

The silver spacer and the brass looking part were the same diameter if I remember correctly. If I said they weren't originally, ignore what I say now.

I also wasn't 100% sure it was brass, it just looked brass coloured. I've since thought maybe it was a zinc plated thing. Also, there is no way to tell if it was a tube or solid. The thoren's disk was only identified (mis-identified) from a magazine photo of the prop from a decade or so ago, the prop is in the same condition nowadays (with the same paint/glue pattern) and the part that was said to be a thoren's was definitely not one. So there is no reason for a thoren's disk to enter the conversation anymore, as familiar a part it may feel.
@chubsANDdoggers Your flash hider shape looks good, but it was aluminium with a painted overspray effect, very fine, making it look grey from a few feet back. It had handling scratches at the exhibition and fresh aluminium was showing through. I remember the drawn on knurling being a bit finer.

I am reluctant to trust my memory now. I wrote everything in the thread when it was fresh in my mind, at one point literally 5 minutes after I had seen it. I took notes when I looked at it then sat outside and typed it up. I think I saw it 3 times in total.

Frustratingly, in the Japanese papers recently there have been calls for museums and galleries to abolish the "no photo" rule in anticipation for all the 2020 related tourism!
Btw, if you have time and can figure out google translate, you can search the Japanese internet for more press release photos (the clear exhibition photos I found from Japanese local news sites and twitter). I haven't had the time to find more, as I am a Luke ESB Bespin DL-44 man! Sorry Hoth Han!

you did say they were the same diameter originally

I've been clicking back and going through your observations for my own blaster, I can't thank you enough

You're right, we really will need a totally different vintage image source to figure out what the spacers are since they're sandwiched for good!

I think Anakin Starkiller's run is finishing up and I cant wait to see all of those on blasters, I think his model is the closest to what you've told us. I'm going to try and remove the bead-blasting on mine out of personal preference, I want some reflection to come through after I dust mine with black paint and scrape some away :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back