DL-44 ESB Blaster Discussion - Greeblies POST 208

If i may ask - for the live fire use, why not silversoldered (not sure if it´s the same in english) a massive steel spacer with the threaded part sticking out (as one piece) to the maghousing? That way you would have enough material for any mechanical mounting (drilling and tapping, setting a hardened pin).

Back to this blaster, @scottjua have you had problems with the scope bracket falling or tilting forward/backward, seeing as it only has one point of contact? When I only had the center screw of my resin hoth blaster in, I tried "drawing" it from a holster and it swung loose.

Here Han's Bespin is only slightly tilted..but just to illustrate my point..am I out on a limb?

View attachment 561612

My DL-44 from the previous ESB run was basically hand tight with the top of the mount at 10-11 o'clock(with the nut on the inside held with a plyers) and then with the mount I would rotate it to 12 and it would be pretty tight. I didn't have to worry about it coming loose after that. I suppose if you wanted something more permanent there's epoxy/JB weld.

Hopefully Dave, your next RotJ run will include Acetal (Derlin) mounts in white (and black was also used I believe).... and flash hiders...

Some great reference there Scott, but still no better close ups of the alternative piston halves (the ones with phillips screws).

If i may ask - for the live fire use, why not silversoldered (not sure if it´s the same in english) a massive steel spacer with the threaded part sticking out (as one piece) to the maghousing? That way you would have enough material for any mechanical mounting (drilling and tapping, setting a hardened pin).

I WAS going to silver solder it if the other method didn't hold. I didn't want to put the heat into the metal to preserve the finish if possible.

But this way worked perfectly.

Last edited:
HHere's the final video for Jerry Miculek's channel that I went to build the blaster for and help film for the YouTube video. The TV show episode won't air until spring time but you can see it in action now.

Also my esb live fire is in this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey - I managed to see what I believe is the han hoth blaster at Star Wars: Visions.

It was the MGC base, with the flash hider that has the details drawn on. To me they looked like sharpie thickness, not like a thin pencil.

The scope bolts were identically sized, but the front one wasn't screwed completely in and was slightly askew.

The flash hider had a definite step where the diagonal cone met the cylindrical base. Both it and the scope bracket looked really hand made and a little rough.

I managed to take a couple of embarrassing pics, out of focus and horrible. Worse than the existing 35+ year old pictures. It was an iPhone and a point and shoot in low light. I had a bit of an ordeal to get them though, in Japan photos are not usually allowed in exhibitions. It was also packed with 100s of people doing a big conga line around the edge of the room, spending equal amount of time with each exhibit like a big shuffling queue. I had to stand still in the middle of it. I had 2 attendants a few feet away from me and was told off for taking the pics I got. Doesn't helping being a white guy over 6 foot in the middle of Japan at these moments, I stood out a lot and was collared straight away.

Now, this exhibition had a lot of really bad replica costumes and props made up for the crowds - but this had the lucas museum tag and looked legit. I'll post the pics up when I'm not at work. If it is anything interesting, I'll go back with my DSLR and act like a dumb tourist.

It was placed with the scope side up, other side not visible.

edit: They also had a resin looking (but might have been real) ROTJ Boba blaster, resin Leia blaster, resin DH-17, real parts ROTJ E-11, ROTJ Stormtrooper suit (which had some interesting details on the helmet, but might not have been screen used. It had ventilation holes drilled in it and the decals and ear paint looked different to what I always thought), a weird looking Vader ROTJ stunt with some grips missing - looked different to the known one and may have been a promo one (had the lucas museum tag though, was definitely vintage), R2 and C3P0. R2 looked a bit shabbily made, but also had the lucas museum tag.

They had an old Vader suit too, but I know nothing about that costume to verify what it was or if it was used in the movie. Same with Han's belt rig. They had it, but I don't know which one it was.

Also for real props: Jedi training remote, hoth macrobinoculars, "rebel sensor unit" (the scanner from hoth, big white box with aerials) but these where in a bad spot to view.

It was a very awkward exhibition with the huge numbers of people and the big conga shuffle.

It's in Osaka, if anyone is in the area.

28403155475_58b741d176_z.jpg

28324057281_1b6d7b4148_z.jpg

27786650814_7d85e31fc7_k.jpg

Even though these pics are pants, I have the raw files for the first 2 (lol) that can maybe show more detail.

Last edited:
That's the real deal!! Get better photos, please!!!!

The flash hider looks like painted aluminum, here!!

One other thing I noticed was that the original MGC barrel was plugged, like the gold plated MGCs are. No hole. Maybe this happened afterwards though, due to the prop being sent around the world on show.

The exhibition is on until the end of August. I'll try head back when I'm free and try my luck again.

edit: Also, I've forgotten a lot of information about props since I moved here and been blitzed with new things every day - please tell me if there are any specific details you want me to look out for. Even if I fail to get a decent pic I can still take notes. Hopefully I can get a decent pic and just say sorry to the angry guard ladies afterwards though.

The one thing I made a deliberate note of was the step on the flash hider (where the middle, shorter conical section meets the cylinder.) It wasn't perfect though, it was a slope, then a far shallower slope. Hard to explain, but if you zoom in on the iphone pic it is kind of visible. It left me with a hand made impression. I'll try to get it in focus next time.

Last edited:
One other thing I noticed was that the original MGC barrel was plugged, like the gold plated MGCs are. No hole. Maybe this happened afterwards though, due to the prop being sent around the world on show.

That´s not unusual. I have only standard MGCs, no golden, and several have the full cast barrel.

The one thing I made a deliberate note of was the step on the flash hider (where the middle, shorter conical section meets the cylinder.) It wasn't perfect though, it was a slope, then a far shallower slope. Hard to explain, but if you zoom in on the iphone pic it is kind of visible. It left me with a hand made impression. I'll try to get it in focus next time.

Well ..... i will not say "i said that" ...... but i did, and not only once. :angel

This is awesome! Thanks for the pics. I like the flash hider because I think I may be able to make it myself (the other ones are out of my league)

The exhibition is on until the end of August. I'll try head back when I'm free and try my luck again.

edit: Also, I've forgotten a lot of information about props since I moved here and been blitzed with new things every day - please tell me if there are any specific details you want me to look out for. Even if I fail to get a decent pic I can still take notes. Hopefully I can get a decent pic and just say sorry to the angry guard ladies afterwards though.

Any details would be super helpful! The flash hider, the mount for the scope, details on the gun, etc. The one big mystery is whether or not they drilled through the whole gun or just into the magazine with that scope mount. there are little bumps on the other side of the gun that look like hex nuts and almost line up with the three screws you see on the scope side.

I KNEW the flash hider looked this way - I'll second the question of that being reflection or actual metal?

Hold on - looking at the hammer, the hammer looks like a solid piece, is this resin!? Also, is there the extra bump in front of the knurled part on the rail like the ANH blaster ala muppet blaster? I hope not

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 1.43.04 PM.png
Also number two - theres a white dot on the MGC hole in the trigger, always thought that was snow :)

And you can see rust on the safety lever, which is blued steel, not zinc/zamac. The silver dot on the trigger is a pin.

It definitely wasn't rust, if anything it looked like aged brass plating like one of the crap gold MGCs I got. Not sure how that part of it is finished on a normal colour MGC, but it was more of a warped yellow than rust in real life. It was definitely a real MGC, but all black. Black grips, totally black body. Not sure what gun bluing looks like in real life.

I remember not being certain about the flash hider material when I was there. The highlights in the pic are from the spotlight above. I will have a closer look next time. I thought it was aluminium myself, then thought maybe it isn't quite shiny enough, but wasn't sure to be honest.

I also noticed the scope bracket was mounted to the MGC with a rather thick (close to 1cm) and wide (maybe 3cm wide - not exact, eyeballing from memory) cylinder piece, that also looked old and yellowly. It actually made me think this was a repair or something, but I don't know. Basically, I just never imagined this piece here.

I've managed to get 3 MGCs while here, this makes me want to make a Hoth blaster replica instead of Luke Bespin on MGC base :lol - I got the wrong parts from bobadebt it seems! :lol

I'm gonna go back around mid-day on a day off, hopefully it will be empty. Although, it is summer break for kids now. Let's wait and see lol.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back