District 9 Prawn Hand sculpt *Possible Spoilers*

MDuckett

I wanted to post some images of a sculpt I'm working on. I'm hoping to get some feedback, since it's basically my first sculpt.

I just picked up some Chavant NSP and some latex, and I plan on getting this thing in some plaster this weekend, I hope. I'm pretty new to this, so I'm just hoping to get some crits and advice from everyone here. It's a learning experience. And sorry for the crappy pics, I just had my phone on me. Oh, and for the messy porch.

I'm going for the earlier Wikus, before he pulls the bacon off his side, etc. I guess just after he steals the clothes and stuff. I see the hand changes a lot throughout the movie. And it seems proportionately biger than the true prawns' hands, but maybe it's just a scale issue.

Here's what I've got so far:
4040477884_29721116ee.jpg

4040477928_a2f5ba1483.jpg

I had smoothed the back of the "hand" and the palm too much, and it looked too fleshy, instead of chitinous, like I assume it should be. So went back and just did mostly finger smoothing, and I think it's a pretty good texture now.

4040478052_26c5729640.jpg

I was a little lost about the palm. I haven't found ANY reference for this, and I don't remember seeing it in the movie (I've seen it three times so far).
hlo has a great sculpt with some interesting palm action, but I couldn't find anything, so I sort of extrapolated from the images I had. I went a kind of elephant skin route, because of the softness of the hand during the hatchet scene. And in the pics you can see some excess skin-looking stuff on parts of the hand, so I went with that.

4039727473_6618ee5137.jpg

Kinda makes the thumb look a little large.

4039727591_50f50ed890.jpg

Here is the ref I used, same stuff that's floating around. About all I could find.

This is the main source. It's early Wikus, before the infection spread so much. The hand is clean and shiny.
4039770519_fbe7c38862.jpg

I also used these alot. The hand is dirty and scaly, and it's hard to read the texture. I'm not sure if all of those bits and things are supposed to be dirt, chitin, cat food, man-splatter or what. But you can really see the fleshy-ness of the hand. I don't want to chalk it up to limitations of the actual prop, so I am calling it a product of the combination of the two types of DNA. Yeah, that's it. You can really see the fleshiness by the thumb in the first pic, and the medial sides of the "tentacles" in the bottom one.

4040521358_6de3172d8d.jpg

4040514604_c4c03bfea9.jpg

So I made the palm what I thought to be the logical extension of that. If anyone has reference, it'd be greatly appreciated. Anyway, I'd also LOVE to get some crits and advice. I hope to plaster this guy later today, if I can get around to it. I'm thinking it needs a 3-part mold....gulp. I've never made a really successful plaster mold. I read a post while perusing the depths of the forums and found a great, if slightly terse, post by...maybe doody? Can't quite remember--it was one of the many masters here. It was a real quick, straightforward description of the process. I'll try to pull it off. I've been reading a lot here and elsewhere since my last attempts.

Let me know what you think. ANd anything I should change while I'm going. Thanks in advance! Here's to not being a lurker finally!

I am also making A prawn arm for my costume this year. But since I am only 14, and am very busy and noobish, I am making mine out of foam. I will not have all the scales, but because I'm cutting the foam with things like scissors, it will be textured. Also, it is not going to be to scale, because I need to have some use of my left hand. Hopefully it will turn out as good as yours! If you need the ID badge, I made a thread in the costume section and it has links to a fan made ID badge. When he says to print it original size, don't. I think it's either the medium or small size that I used. Good luck!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back