Disney's Hollywood Studios Backlot Tour Closure

jctk421

As many of you may have heard, Disney decided to close their Backlot Tour at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Although I am not surprised about the closure, I am saddened. The current backlot tour was a shell of its original former self.

backlot1.jpgOpening Day Map. Notice how Toy Story Mania and Lights! Motors! Action! are not yet built.

backlottour.jpgSmaller Current layout.

In the beginning, The Backlot Tour was stated it took "1 hour and 30mins." because their was a walking tour (Through soundstages that are now Toy Story Mania, and etc.). The tram tour took you through the current layout, and a residential street (including houses from show such as "The Golden Girls".) The bone-yard was even quite large; including many vehicles from films such as The Rocketeer, and Blade Runner
View attachment 385638
Eventually over time new attractions were built, forcing the tour to grow smaller and smaller, to its form we know today in 2006 after Lights! Motors! Action! was built in the place of residential street.

Even though this is a loved a attraction, It was still a very outdated attraction. Catastrophe Canyon doesn't perform like it used too. Even the water show located at the beginning of the tour, considered films such as "The Rock" and Pearl Harbor", modern filmmaking.

As the attraction got smaller and smaller; props such as vehicles were removed and either sold or put in storage. But this time, there is a whole warehouse of props. My one question is what will happen to them?

Current Important Props:
View attachment 385634
"The Rocketeer"

Their are many props from the film The Rocketeer scattered throughout the park, but mainly their are many in the prop warehouse. There seem to be I assume five jetpacks, a breakaway stunt helmet, the Charles Lindbergh statue and a bulldog cafe production model.

"Santa Clause"

Many props from the trilogy make an apperaence in the prop warehouse, such as toys, elf desks, and other various props from the film.

"The Chronicles of Narnia"

The props from this film include wardrobe, and production models.

"The Lottery"
77161671.jpg
This was a short film that was made on property at the park that showcased the park was capable of making real films. You can view it here:

However, many of the props remain unmarked and not tagged, and have fallen into severe neglect.

So what do you think will happen to all of these props?
Can you name any films I might have missed that had props on the backlot tour?

P.S. - I have been trying to figure out where this bust is from-
20140816_185310-0.jpgSorry for the sideways picture. I think it might be a bust of DiCaprio from "The Aviator".

Attachments

• 20140816_185310-0.jpg
    20140816_185310-0.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
They never did get much production work back there. It was a set of a set!
Golden Girls had already been on the air for years before it was built, so that was NOT the house seen in the show's exterior shots.

Its sad to see it go but they had already reduced it so much for the stunt show.. Hopefully they replace it with something great. I personally wouldn't mind a star wars expansion

It is sad that they are closing it down, sure, but this is Disney we're talking about... 9 times out of 10, they are going to open something much MUCH better.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back