Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

I remember thinking Maz's castle would be the perfect gateway to "Star Wars Land". She's been ensconced there for a thousand years. Depending on which hall you took out of the main room, you could head into the Old Republic, the Clone Wars, the Galactic Civil War, the Rise of the First Order...

I had hazy notions of what would be a good experience for each. Like, Old Republic period could be the Mandalorian Excision, when the Republic pre-emptively glassed Mandalore. GCW could be Aldera City when the Death Star shows up. And like that. Violent, yes. But it is called Star Wars, after all. The big flash could be the reverse gateway. The light fades and you're back in Maz's castle, none the worse.

Alas what might have been...

Last edited:
I am really surprised that there was no objection against the "taken prisoner and put into detention cells" part. And what the heck is an A-1000? Did they run out of A-2000s or what?

For a moment I imagined what that setting would have felt for me if it were "Rebellion" and not "Resistance". Kylo Ren IMO does not work as the bogeyman inside such a ride which IMO comes across more like a horror house than an adventure ride. Why, you might ask?

Star Tours was all positive emotions despite the action and the passive nature of the experience. From entering the Star Port to goofy Rex to actually seeing the Rebellion fight the fight to safely (!) returning to the space port.

Here IMO the dominant feeling is fear and angst. I dare say that many peoole may be more than glad to leave the ride.

I guess it will take some time until I can experience it first hand, but seeing the videos I can admire the huge effort but cannot really connect to it on an emotional level.

I guess it will take some time until I can experience it first hand, but seeing the videos I can admire the huge effort but cannot really connect to it on an emotional level.

It‘s an incredible ride, from standing in line until the very end. The hanger bay is massive and the At-At’s are huge. Half way through my Apple Watch buzzed with a reminder to “breath”. I was in awe for every second of the experience.

It‘s an incredible ride, from standing in line until the very end. The hanger bay is massive and the At-At’s are huge. Half way through my Apple Watch buzzed with a reminder to “breath”. I was in awe for every second of the experience.

I can imagine that, but did it feel like Star Wars? I had a similar feeling during my first visit to the Startours ride.

I can imagine that, but did it feel like Star Wars? I had a similar feeling during my first visit to the Startours ride.
Which version of Star Tours did you ride? The original video with Rex piloting? I loved the original but I've never ridden with the newer videos. I've watched a little bit of it online and it doesn't look nearly as good.

Which version of Star Tours did you ride? The original video with Rex piloting? I loved the original but I've never ridden with the newer videos. I've watched a little bit of it online and it doesn't look nearly as good.
Oh, the new one is MUCH better. I used to get motion sickness on the old one.

How does the CGI compare to the original miniature models? It's hard to tell from youtube videos but the effects look a little video gamey.
For the most part, it's movie-quality CG. There is definitely a certain je ne sais quoi to practical models and how the light interacts with them that gives them that tangible appearance to the eye, but I don't get the video game vibe from the revamped Star Tours at all.

For the most part, it's movie-quality CG. There is definitely a certain je ne sais quoi to practical models and how the light interacts with them that gives them that tangible appearance to the eye, but I don't get the video game vibe from the revamped Star Tours at all.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the ride is different each time now? You might visit different locales or Kylo as opposed to Vader?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ride is different each time now? You might visit different locales or Kylo as opposed to Vader?
It used to be very random. When they re-opened after the re-vamp, the Lucasfilm purchase hadn't been officially revealed yet, so the ST was years from release, and the ride would cycle through OT and PT locales. Different intros, and different combinations of places you'd go to. As the ST movies released, the locales would always relate to the most recent film, and I've ridden 2-3 times in a row (when it's not heavy tourist season) and gotten the same ride every time. As of the opening of Galaxy's Edge through a few months ago, it always finishes with you landing in Baatu.

It used to be very random. When they re-opened after the re-vamp, the Lucasfilm purchase hadn't been officially revealed yet, so the ST was years from release, and the ride would cycle through OT and PT locales. Different intros, and different combinations of places you'd go to. As the ST movies released, the locales would always relate to the most recent film, and I've ridden 2-3 times in a row (when it's not heavy tourist season) and gotten the same ride every time. As of the opening of Galaxy's Edge through a few months ago, it always finishes with you landing in Baatu.
Actually I'm fine with them changing it up. Nothing wrong with some variation. But being that its a screen based ride, it'd be awesome if every once in a while they could load up the original footage with Rex piloting. Or has George suppressed that edition as well? Lol

Actually I'm fine with them changing it up. Nothing wrong with some variation. But being that its a screen based ride, it'd be awesome if every once in a while they could load up the original footage with Rex piloting. Or has George suppressed that edition as well? Lol
Oh, well C-3PO is piloting (until R2 takes over) and he's right there with you, not on screen. Rex's flying days are over. He's a DJ now, at Oga's Cantina. :lol:

So lately ive been really curious as to how the new Star Wars Disney Resort is going to work. From what I hear, the resort is going to be completely in theme as a "galactic starliner" cruising through space; meaning the entire experience will be in universe. This means no windows or outside areas in the entire hotel, with the only exterior access being "shuttles" that take you down to Battuu, all with LCD screens instead of windows to preserve the illusion.

Take it from someone that used to work in an office building below ground level and thus had no windows. People tend to get irritable and claustrophobic when they have no immediate access to the outside or fresh air. I can only imagine the potential problems that smokers could cause.

What if I need to catch a cab to the airport? Will I be permitted to walk out of the hotel even though its "in space" or will I have to take a special shuttle to a "on planet" cab pickup location? What about going to other parks? Or will I have to use Battu as a single point of entry for my entire WDW trip?

There also seem to be some pretty huge logistical problems that come with operating a hotel entirely in universe. I can't even imagining having to redesign Every. Single. Thing. in the hotel to feel like it comes from the Star Wars universe. Shampoo bottles, towels, television sets, service cart, ice cube machines, telephones, vending machines, outlets, hair dryers, janitorial equipment, a pen, ect. The list is endless. Are you going to remove labels and make custom products for all of this? Are you going to have any kind of shop where people can buy essentials? Will all these essentials also be completely custom products to feel like they come from the Star Wars universe? If my sink isnt working is a janitor in an alien costume going to come and repair it with specially designed tools just to look like they come from Star Wars? Its mind boggling how much work it would take to keep up the illusion.

Definitely one thing that bugged me about the new version. Threepio's not a pilot, darnit. How often has he complained about hating space travel?

"I can assure you they will never get me on one of those dreadful starships." :lol:

In "Revenge of the Sith" he proclaims that he actually enjoys piloting.

Does he? I haven't watched it in years. I know he's piloting the ship to Mustafar, when Padme goes to find Anakin. Actually, I think that's when he says it, isn't it? As I was typing, I recalled it.

There also seem to be some pretty huge logistical problems that come with operating a hotel entirely in universe. I can't even imagining having to redesign Every. Single. Thing. in the hotel to feel like it comes from the Star Wars universe. Shampoo bottles, towels, television sets, service cart, ice cube machines, telephones, vending machines, outlets, hair dryers, janitorial equipment, a pen, ect. The list is endless. Are you going to remove labels and make custom products for all of this? Are you going to have any kind of shop where people can buy essentials? Will all these essentials also be completely custom products to feel like they come from the Star Wars universe? If my sink isnt working is a janitor in an alien costume going to come and repair it with specially designed tools just to look like they come from Star Wars? Its mind boggling how much work it would take to keep up the illusion.
I don't have the answers but that all sounds pretty rad. Maybe that's why the room rates are out of this world ( ;) ).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back