Dinosaur Fans! Check THIS Out!

You didn't link the one on Amazon, so I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but the one on Discovery is the same exact one we all bought from Toys R Us a couple years ago. I'm so happy to see that someone is still producing it! That's a fair price they're selling it for too.

I still have 3 of the TRU/EduScience ones sitting in their boxes in my workshop. I needed money and sold the one I modded and painted, but I plan to do up another one for myself later. The second one I'm going to attempt to mod into a different pose, and the third I'm probably going to paint and sell.

You didn't link the one on Amazon, so I'm not sure which one you're talking about, but the one on Discovery is the same exact one we all bought from Toys R Us a couple years ago. I'm so happy to see that someone is still producing it! That's a fair price they're selling it for too.

I still have 3 of the TRU/EduScience ones sitting in their boxes in my workshop. I needed money and sold the one I modded and painted, but I plan to do up another one for myself later. The second one I'm going to attempt to mod into a different pose, and the third I'm probably going to paint and sell.

Sorry I forgot the link for the Amazon product. Here it is: Amazon.com: Elenco Science Tech T-Rex Skeleton 36" Scale Replica Model: Toys & Games
I wonder why Discovery thinks theirs is an exclusive?

The paint job outta the box isn't that bad at all from a distance. I would still like to give it that old dark brown museum look one day.

Well it just went on sale for $29.99 at the discovery channel online store. I jumped on the deal. Through today they are offering $1.99 flat rate shipping. I think I got a good deal. I can't wait to get it!

I was wondering if you guys could help me choose colors and maybe give me some instructions on how to accomplish painting one of these. I bought another kit and would like to paint to it to look like Sue.
2623841952_ff21d64b11_b.jpg

4220406031_00ebf66fa1_b.jpg

I was wondering if you guys could help me choose colors and maybe give me some instructions on how to accomplish painting one of these. I bought another kit and would like to paint to it to look like Sue.

Sue is what I base mine on. Look at my finished pics here: http://www.therpf.com/f11/dinosaur-fans-check-out-35194/index6.html#post598369

And my instructions on how I got the colors here: http://www.therpf.com/f11/dinosaur-fans-check-out-35194/index6.html#post598572

Hi Guys,

I understand this is a pretty old thread but the reason I post is because for some time I've been looking for one of the TRU or Elenco T-rex 36 " replica kits. They are increasingly harder to find and pretty much impossible to get shipped to Holland where I live.
My 10 yr old son has been asking me for one for over a year and I found one for a reasonably price at the discovery store but they don't want to ship to Holland.
Hopefully there are some members her who might still have one these kits lying around which the would be willing to sell. Shipping would be covered by me and I would pay in advance using Paypal. Please contact me.

Mark

I MIGHT have one I can spare. I'd have to go into the garage and see how many I have left. Shipping from US to Holland ain't cheap though with a box that big.

image.jpgimage.jpgLong dead thread, but I wanted to share mine. After sitting on the shelf for years I finally got around to finishing it. Just a quick blast of Rustoleum oil rubbed bronze and highlighted with a gold rub n buff. I'm pretty satisfied with the finished product.

Interesting coincidence this thread has been exhumed again.
I've started working on this kit the last few weeks after having it lie around for years collecting dust.
I plan on breaking it down into a different pose and one that more closely matches the stance of the Holotype specimen at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History.
I'll be reworking some of the bones to achieve better accuracy.
Seeing as it's the easiest mod, I've started up first on the neck vertebrae, just whittling down the cervical ribs into much thinner and more accurately sized spindles. The kit neck ribs are way too thick and clunky.
I'll also be swapping out the skull for a much more detailed and accurate version.

This kit has a nice presence because of its large size and anatomically it isn't too bad apart from the very simplified skull, but I decided to embark on a project to make it much more accurate and also dramatically alter its posture.
I'm basing the new pose and using image reference from the beautiful Holotype display at the Carnegie Museum of NH.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread from the grave and post progress here for anyone that has this kit or is interested in the potential it has in transforming into a museum quality centrepiece. I haven't really attempted anything of this scale before so I'll be learning as I go.

I decided to start from the ground up by beginning with the feet.
First off I removed the ankle connector tabs and sharpened the claws by carefully whittling down the plastic with a scalpel. Then I cleaned up and further defined the joins in the toe bones with a file. The feet thin out and become ambiguous in detail towards the top of the ankles so I created volume and more accurate shapes with Milliput plaster. Never used the stuff before but it is pretty easy to work with and, once dry, leaves some irregularities perfect for realistic looking fossilised bone.

F1_zpsnnqjum2t.jpg

F2_zps3srzhfcz.jpg

Next I tackled the tibia and fibula bones.
In the kit these are moulded as one, blocky piece so I separated the two bones with a small saw then smoothed and rounded off each with a heavy file. The plaster was then used for filling out and sanding down to form more accurate shapes for these bones of the lower leg.

TF1_zpsz4xodsod.jpg

TF2_zpszsgao9wz.jpg

TF3_zps8k3bxfof.jpg

That's where I'm up to so far. If there is some interest in this, I'll show progress as I go.
Eventually I'll repaint the whole thing and assemble a frame to restructure the skeleton into its new stance.
Thanks for looking.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back