DinoReplicas - dinosaur bone models and more

Very nice. When do you plan on releasing the 3D model for sale?
Not till I can figure a way to paint it, I messed up the first one I ordered so I'll have to have another go.

Managed to borrow a smartphone again so I took a couple of pics of the finished paper-craft prototype.

LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.jpg

XVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.jpg

Also got a few vids of it hanging up from the ceiling. Almost finished putting together a short youtube flick using the Blender VSE, not great quality but it'll show the assembled model. I'll get that up soon.

OK so getting a little bit closer to releasing the papercraft, been working on some instructions this week. Probably should've prepped something in 3D to aid this but often it's just more immediate to grab a pencil and start scribbling.

dWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.jpg

LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.png

Was intending to colour and label the drawings in Krita but it's becoming clear is that for file size reasons, I'm better off using them as tracing bases to vector over. It'll look slicker anyway. Keyed up a parts list for the instructions, some part names may change.

Revised paper parts and layout, now with part numbers. Tighter fit on the page, managed to enlarge the model a wee bit.

More assembly sketches for the papercraft Dimorphodon, that should be it. Don't think I'll need any more but I'll know when I'm fitting the instructions together.

Started vectoring up the sketches

Pushing myself to finish this now, want to release and move on. Doubt it'll be ready for the weekend but I'll see if I can at least get it content-complete.

Had contact with a skilled model maker known on DeviantArt as Modelnut, he made this great museum scene with my trike and rex skulls, these are 1:24th scale-

He also sculpts, check out his marine reptiles and much more at HIS DEVIANTART GALLERY

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also managed to get the paper-craft model document finished (I think), instructions included. Please have a go if you fancy a new challenge.

The document can be DOWNLOADED HERE

The entry requirements are pretty low, you'll need a printer and some card plus a few basic tools and materials. Basic page size is A4 (sorry non-ISO paper countries) which will make a 44cm wingspan model. Those with access to an A3 printer can scale up 141% for a 62cm monster.

If you know someone who might enjoy making this kit or just dig what I'm doing, please inform, retweet, spread the word. I spent ages on this thing and now I want to share it!

Put up a real-time 3D version of the papercraft on P3d.in as a visual aid for anyone building it. You can pan, zoom and generally spin the model around to see what the final shape should approximate, tail bend, wing angles etc.

Papercraft Dimorphodon on P3d.in

Dimorphodon Papercraft(View in 3D)
CbF79.png

LMB - rotate
MMB - zoom (or shift-MMB)
RMB - pan

Screengrabs for anyone not using a webGL capable browser.

The papercraft file is quite small, it occurred to me I might as well attach the PDF to this post.

Attachments

• Dimorphodon_card_model.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 135
That looks fantastic!

Thanks, took me long enough but I got there in the end! ;)

Got a few more pics, this first one is probably my favourite from these photos.

Just in case anyone was wondering what I did with the underside :D

Looking pretty much straight down.

Close-up on the tail. My brush strokes are quite visible when zoomed in.

Had a few requests for 3D printed marine reptile skulls over the last few months so I'm starting a Mosasaurus.

My orthographic drawing of the M. hoffmannii holotype cranium. Adapted from Street and Caldwell (2017), also reffed Lingham-Soliar (1995) & other misc info thrown in where relevant.

That's pretty cool, marine reptiles tend to be rather under represented and under appreciated in popular media.

Btw, your Dimorphodon model looks really good. I really like your paint job and if I get one, I think I'm going to go with your paint scheme, definitely better than anything I think I could come up with.

That's pretty cool, marine reptiles tend to be rather under represented and under appreciated in popular media.
Mosasaurs have great looking heads and those pterygoid teeth in the roof of the mouth add to the awesome. Making this will probably increase my interest in Mosasaurs similar to how the Dimorphodon project upped my appreciation of pterosaurs.

Btw, your Dimorphodon model looks really good. I really like your paint job and if I get one, I think I'm going to go with your paint scheme, definitely better than anything I think I could come up with.
Thanks, you'll have noticed I changed the tail slightly from the template in post #193. Hand brushing the brown/yellow gradients on the wings was tricky (I did enjoy the challenge), might have been easier if I'd had an airbrush.

Quick lightmap UVs then I can texture paint a rough structure for a base mesh (red lines). More a loose guide really, things come together better when I start putting polys down.

Back on with the Mosasaurus skull again, had to break off for a week.
Retopo-ing to make a base model for multi-res sculpting. There's Blender plugins for this but I get by with a fairly lo-fi approach.

LCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back