Different painting methods, could use some experiences ...

bendrago

Right,

I have read, read and read some more about painting latex, have used search up to the point where I was ready to throw my mac thru my bedroom window ...

There seems to be many different ways to paint a suit, what is problematic to me is the lack of information about these different methods, at least I have not
found any kind of comparison between different methods, how they were to paint and how they held up, was there cracking or other issues etc ...

As I have never had to actually paint latex before (cossing batman has it's advantages ... all you need is black :p ) and I am not so rich that I could
buy a cartload of stuff and try for myself I would really appreciate some input here.

So if it would be possible could some of you painters out there share their experiences, what method did you use and how has it worked for you ?

Right,

I have read, read and read some more about painting latex, have used search up to the point where I was ready to throw my mac thru my bedroom window ...

There seems to be many different ways to paint a suit, what is problematic to me is the lack of information about these different methods, at least I have not
found any kind of comparison between different methods, how they were to paint and how they held up, was there cracking or other issues etc ...

As I have never had to actually paint latex before (cossing batman has it's advantages ... all you need is black :p ) and I am not so rich that I could
buy a cartload of stuff and try for myself I would really appreciate some input here.

So if it would be possible could some of you painters out there share their experiences, what method did you use and how has it worked for you ?

I can only give you my humble experiences, and hope that it helps (a little). I'm sure others may agree/disagree, but here goes ......

Since liquid latex is generally about 80% water you can actually colour it with virtually any water based paint, this causes the pigment to be an integral part of the liquid latex and means that the colour will never crack or fade. You can also thin down liquid latex with distilled water, reducing it's viscosity. You can then use this mixture as a thin layer of paint that will adhere to cured latex pretty well.
The main problem with using liquid latex as a paint is that it does not 'blend' very well so some pre-planning is required. I use this method to put down general 'base' colours.

Start-adding-colour.jpg

Once this thin layer of latex/paint has fully cured I blend out using acrylic inks. These can be bought from any art suppliers, they are best applied with an airbrush, but you can get good results with a sponge applicator (cut up bath sponges or make up sponges). The trick is to put on as thin a layer as you can get away with. Acrylic is a flexible medium so if the layer is thin enough it won't tend to crack and flake so much. If it does the latex colour base underneath will mask it somewhat and you can always do some retouching work if needed.

Finishing-up.jpg

There are a couple of step by steps for latex painting on my instructables profile, have a look.....

HERE

Best of luck!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back