Dieselpunk Phaser - Pics of completed Hand Phaser

Re: Dieselpunk Phaser

Okay. The more I've thought about this, the more I want to build this. I still have to create my own design for my final project for class, but I've decided to make this as I go along.

I've actually concentrated on redefining this design than my own, because I couldn't leave it alone. With real plotting where lines could actually be and some other tweaks, like replacing the chickenhead knob with a real streamlined knob I had based on and fits better with my design and assuring the hand phaer will fit where it is supposed to, this is what I have come up with what this project may look like-

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I plan on starting on the Hand Phaser first, so I can be sure it will fit into the rest of the project later.

I'll have to get a new camera to document my progress.

Last edited:
Just finished assembling the parts and took a few pics for those who may be interested. The beam emitter needed a redesign as I had built it to fit within the second part of the phaser. I'll be working on this between class assignments.

attachment.php

This is a pretty cool design and effort. Keep up the good work. I've always thought that the phaser used by Starfleet varied as much as any real handgun. Just as Walthers and Sigs are both pistols, they look nothing alike.

Fantastic design. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

(Plus, you got the vote of confidence from the man who builds rayguns + Dr Who bits for a living, so if that doesn't convince you that it's a great design, I don't know what will...)

--Brian

Hello Bak 55,
I know that its been awhile (illnesses etc.) and what I was curious as to how the DP Phaser was going. I confess that Buck Rogers mets Star Trek is a neat idea and I'm 61! I'd like to build a P1 and P2 of Your design after I finish up Bob April's TOS Phaser rifle. Even the basic dimensions of the P1 would be of help. Even my wife thinks that it is a terrific design and yep, we are both 1st Generation TOS "Trekkies" and proud of it. You've done a great job!!!
Larry

Gee, I had almost forgotten about this. I've been a bit distracted from this by my major project that I had started over 20 years ago, but had to put it on hold when I had bought my house. Now it's on my bucket list to complete. Just take a look at my avatar to get a hint as to what it may be.

Anyway, Thanks for all the encouragement. I'll have to squeeze this in when I can. In the meantime, here are updated drawings to the landing party gear-

I redid the phaer a bit. I realized that the orginal design was influenced by some photos I had of a streamlined steam locomotive, which is why it had such a cylnidrcal shape. So in keeping with the idea it's supposed to be "dieselpunk", I had made it more boxlike to resemble a diesel locomotive.
RetroPhaser.JPG

For the communicator, I had wanted the grid to resemble the radiator grill of an auotomoble.
RetroComm.JPG

The tricorder has a number of period appliances for inspiration. The part between the screen and three pushbuttons represents a removable compact wire recorder.
RetroTricorder.JPG

Now for the uniforms. I had added color, but if this were actually filmed back in the day, there would have been no bothered trying to dye WWII surplus Eisenhauer jackets, since it would have been most likely filmed in monochrome (Black and White for the younguns).
Retro uniform.JPG

Bravo, sir! Did you ever build more than just the P1? Steampunk is going nuts in most states in the US and they welcome Dieselpunks too. If you showed up at a steam con with all that you'd get serious kudos.

Bravo, sir! Did you ever build more than just the P1? Steampunk is going nuts in most states in the US and they welcome Dieselpunks too. If you showed up at a steam con with all that you'd get serious kudos.

Nope, unfortunately life got in the way more than a bit whan I dreamed this up. I had been unemployed for the longest time (5 years). Then I finally got a new job, but it had been only part time (2 years). I'm jfully employed again and just now getting a little caught up on some outstanding bills and being able to afford supplies for my projects.

Right there with you. Two years or employment issues (not, under and badly) which just got resolved last month after a hard campaign of getting into a good company. Here's to us to surviving! :)

If you do revisit this project please do post shots.

Hi BAK55. I love the phaser and was wondering if I have your permission to build one using your drawings?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back