Dieselpunk Phaser - Pics of completed Hand Phaser

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by BAK55, Jan 30, 2012.

1. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

We've seen other cool phaser concepts and a model of a steampunk phaser.

But I've been working on a retro streamline design of a raygun for a class project and one of the concepts I came up with I had called "Too STAR TREK". But it intrigued me to think, what if STAR TREK were a product of the '40's after the Roswell incident instead of the '60's?

What art styles of the time, especially streamline moderne, would influence the design og the ship, equipment and uniforms?

Well, I tinikered with the "Too STAR TREK" concept of my raygun a bit further and came up with the image below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
    robn1 likes this.
  2. Monster Dave

Monster Dave Sr Member

Re: Dieselpunk Phaser

Did someone say Captain Proton??

[​IMG]

:thumbsup

3. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Set chickenheads to stun!"

4. Interceptor6

Interceptor6 Sr Member

:lol:lol:lol

5. Bluecow

Bluecow New Member

I really like the phaser concept. Nice work.
    I am a big fan of streamline moderne designs and like what you have done to blend that in and still keep it rooted in the Star Trek OT.
    Would be interested in seeing an over head view of how you would layout the knob and the needle meter.

6. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

So would I. I haven't gotten that far just yet, but plan on carrying it through to the other views when I can.

7. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Well-Known Member

Thank you for giving it a trigger guard. The lack of a trigger guard is my biggest complaint about sci-fi weapons, followed by lack of sights or any aiming device.

8. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

I like it, too! The grip looks a lot more ergonomic than most phaser designs.

9. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

I tinkered with this some more. Top view to see what I did with the meter and a front view to get some sense on how the bottom of the trigger guard tapers toward the grip.

If I were to make this, it seems to me the most appropriate materials would be bakelite and chrome.

[​IMG]

10. Tom Starkiller

Tom Starkiller Well-Known Member

That's stunning!!

Yeah I went there. xD

Snarkticon likes this.
  11. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Very cool. Now build it!

12. 22 Stars

22 Stars Member

I agree build it or 3D print it... stat!

13. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

I love this design, and I want you to take it further... Let's see some "Too Star Trek" ships and costume designs!

14. Mercury

Mercury Sr Member

I love it! Very retro but there's no doubt it's a phaser.:thumbsup

15. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

The first thing that comes to mind, uniform wise, would deffinately include Eisenhower Jackets and turtleneck shirts.

16. YenChih Lin

YenChih Lin Sr Member

Dude that'S cool!

17. Luuke

Luuke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dude...that rocks!

18. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Official Licensee

You have to make this, it would look amazing. Jeez I love a good Raygun!

19. chad951

chad951 New Member

Wow, Flash Gordon meets Star Trek! Very nice. I agree you need to get that thing in 3D soon. Oh, imagine the fun you are going to have picking out color schemes.

20. Cadeian

Cadeian Active Member

Wow. Custom phaser design usually don't do anything for me, but this is REALLY cool. I'd happily add one of those to the collection. Great design!

21. Wickerness

Wickerness Well-Known Member

Awesome custom!

Curious what the communicators would look like.

22. The Wolf

The Wolf Sr Member

Count me as one of the people looking forward to final product.
    Great design!

Wolf

23. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

Okay. The more I've thought about this, the more I want to build this. I still have to create my own design for my final project for class, but I've decided to make this as I go along.

I've actually concentrated on redefining this design than my own, because I couldn't leave it alone. With real plotting where lines could actually be and some other tweaks, like replacing the chickenhead knob with a real streamlined knob I had based on and fits better with my design and assuring the hand phaer will fit where it is supposed to, this is what I have come up with what this project may look like-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I plan on starting on the Hand Phaser first, so I can be sure it will fit into the rest of the project later.

I'll have to get a new camera to document my progress.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    Nick K likes this.
  24. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

Just finished assembling the parts and took a few pics for those who may be interested. The beam emitter needed a redesign as I had built it to fit within the second part of the phaser. I'll be working on this between class assignments.

[​IMG]

Nick K and greatwazoo42 like this.
  25. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

That is very cool! Definitely build the phaser 2!

26. DrMcoy

DrMcoy Sr Member

wicked cool!

27. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Very cool! Makes me want to see a Star Trek fan film made like a Flash Gordon serial.

28. Seanpnichols

Seanpnichols New Member

This is a pretty cool design and effort. Keep up the good work. I've always thought that the phaser used by Starfleet varied as much as any real handgun. Just as Walthers and Sigs are both pistols, they look nothing alike.

29. Too_Many_Cars

Too_Many_Cars Active Member

Fantastic design. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

(Plus, you got the vote of confidence from the man who builds rayguns + Dr Who bits for a living, so if that doesn't convince you that it's a great design, I don't know what will...)

--Brian

30. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

LOVE IT!!!

31. racprops

racprops Sr Member

And as I have been doing propmaking for 35 years I too say build it and they will come.

I like it. It is way too cool.

Rich

32. Larry Mager

Larry Mager New Member

Hello Bak 55,
    I know that its been awhile (illnesses etc.) and what I was curious as to how the DP Phaser was going. I confess that Buck Rogers mets Star Trek is a neat idea and I'm 61! I'd like to build a P1 and P2 of Your design after I finish up Bob April's TOS Phaser rifle. Even the basic dimensions of the P1 would be of help. Even my wife thinks that it is a terrific design and yep, we are both 1st Generation TOS "Trekkies" and proud of it. You've done a great job!!!
    Larry

33. spockboy

spockboy Well-Known Member

Beautiful design!
    Well done!
    Kinda looks like a Bat Phaser.

Excellent style.
    :)Spockboy

34. TheDuc

TheDuc New Member

BEAutiful..... Really cool phaser to say the least...

35. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

I'd love to see this completed too. I do hope you'll get back to it.

36. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

Gee, I had almost forgotten about this. I've been a bit distracted from this by my major project that I had started over 20 years ago, but had to put it on hold when I had bought my house. Now it's on my bucket list to complete. Just take a look at my avatar to get a hint as to what it may be.

Anyway, Thanks for all the encouragement. I'll have to squeeze this in when I can. In the meantime, here are updated drawings to the landing party gear-

I redid the phaer a bit. I realized that the orginal design was influenced by some photos I had of a streamlined steam locomotive, which is why it had such a cylnidrcal shape. So in keeping with the idea it's supposed to be "dieselpunk", I had made it more boxlike to resemble a diesel locomotive.
    RetroPhaser.JPG

For the communicator, I had wanted the grid to resemble the radiator grill of an auotomoble.
    RetroComm.JPG

The tricorder has a number of period appliances for inspiration. The part between the screen and three pushbuttons represents a removable compact wire recorder.
    RetroTricorder.JPG

Now for the uniforms. I had added color, but if this were actually filmed back in the day, there would have been no bothered trying to dye WWII surplus Eisenhauer jackets, since it would have been most likely filmed in monochrome (Black and White for the younguns).
    Retro uniform.JPG

Nick K, robn1 and greatwazoo42 like this.
  37. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Bravo, sir! Did you ever build more than just the P1? Steampunk is going nuts in most states in the US and they welcome Dieselpunks too. If you showed up at a steam con with all that you'd get serious kudos.

38. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

Nope, unfortunately life got in the way more than a bit whan I dreamed this up. I had been unemployed for the longest time (5 years). Then I finally got a new job, but it had been only part time (2 years). I'm jfully employed again and just now getting a little caught up on some outstanding bills and being able to afford supplies for my projects.

greatwazoo42 likes this.
  39. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Right there with you. Two years or employment issues (not, under and badly) which just got resolved last month after a hard campaign of getting into a good company. Here's to us to surviving! :)

If you do revisit this project please do post shots.

40. Nick K

Nick K Well-Known Member

Hi BAK55. I love the phaser and was wondering if I have your permission to build one using your drawings?

41. BAK55

BAK55 Well-Known Member

Sure, have at it. I've been far too busy this summer to do much of anything else. I'm looking forward to this. I'm sure you'll post photos, right?