Dial of Destiny Dial - "I've been looking for this all of my life"

ajhix

"I've been looking for this all of my life" - Indiana Jones, Dial of Destiny

This thread is long overdue and I am excited to share a build I have been working on. As soon as I saw the Dial of Destiny, I knew I wanted my own Dial of Destiny to display with my other Indiana Jones movie replica props. I have seen some really great builds and wanted one of my own.

I contacted RPF Member laellee and sent him as many reference images and screenshots from the prop as I could find. Through a lot of test prints and back and forth with laellee (one of the best 3D modelers I have worked with) we are pretty much to the point where I can share some finished prints!

I have been printing two versions, a larger-sized one in PLA (125%) and a resin print with accurate dimensions to the movie prop. The dial features moving parts throughout and most pieces either slide on rails or are screwed in with threaded inserts and sockets screws.

The 100% scale Dial was tweaked multiple times. Due to the small scale of the Dial and printing in resin (that doesn't always come out dimensionally accurate,) getting the pieces to fit and also to rotate was a big challenge. That is why I printed a Dial in PLA as well at 125%. The PLA pieces printed at the larger size allow the Dial to really spin and rotate freely.

We are finalizing a couple of small tweaks and are also finishing up the compass that extends and fits into the dial. The Dial in the pictures below is more of a "clean" version of the Dial. Now that the design is finalized, laellee is going to model in weathering that is seen in the movie so there will be a second version. That will be the next version I print and will match what you would see on screen.

Copied below are some of the pictures of my prints and putting the parts together.

Resin Dial of Destiny:

Here is a completed prototype in resin (100% scale).

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.24.31 PM.png

Parts and Build:

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.26.02 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.26.17 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.26.29 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.26.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.26.59 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.29.07 PM.png

PLA Dial (125% scale):

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.30.16 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.30.32 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 2.30.40 PM.png

My goodness! It looks phenomenal. I’m looking forward to watching the movie next week when it hits Disney +.

That is a great build. I’m a sucker for time travel devices.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back