Depp's Tonto...Anybody gonna do it?

sparrowed

the-lone-ranger-depp-movie.jpg

...or Armie's Lone Ranger?

Debut Look At Johnny Depp & Armie Hammer In ‘The Lone Ranger’ the lone ranger depp movie

OMG! And I thought Depp couldn't go more clownish looking than what he let Burton do to him as the Mad Hatter in AiW, but this runs a very close second. Also thought Tonto was a Native American. Looking quite like a Pelegostos who stole Jack's bandanna and wig and enhanced them with feathers!?

As for the Lone Ranger......well, looking a little like he's off to a shareholder's meetin' ix-nay for the hat and mask??? Would be an easy costume to do though--a three piece suit, a white cowboy hat and black mask and there ya go!?

Shylaah

That Depp costume's insulting to Native Americans (not to mention his casting) plus why does that dead bird on his head look like a prize from a fair?

Tonto dismounts and places ear to ground

Tonto: "Buffalo come"

Lone Ranger: "That's amazing Tonto! How can you tell?"

Tonto: "Ground sticky"

It's a little sad that in the 1950's ABC found their way to casting an actual Native American on The Lone Ranger TV show, but here in 2012 Johnny Depp is cast in the role. He's conveniently rolled out the fact that he's apparently 1/16th or some other fraction, but it's the first anyone's really hearing about it.

I'm sure they'll reprise some sort of "Dances with Wolves" storyline to explain the situation. We'll see - he's a good actor, so there's that. Still.

It's a little sad that in the 1950's ABC found their way to casting an actual Native American on The Lone Ranger TV show, but here in 2012 Johnny Depp is cast in the role. He's rolled out the fact that he's apparently 1/16th or some other fraction, but it's the first anyone's really hearing about it.

I'm sure they'll reprise some sort of "Dances with Wolves" storyline to explain the situation.

It may be the first you've heard about his heritage but he's talked about it quite a bit leading up to ( and after ) his directorial debut and starring in The Brave, which was in '97. He's never tried to hide it. Personally, I don't run around telling everyone I'm Polish or Ukrainian.

The poor guy gets guff for whatever role he takes on. The fact is, it's Hollywood and it's about money. This is meant to be a popcorn flick, not a documentary. People of not-that-heritage portray people of that-heritage all.the.time.

And let us not forget in regards to his appearance, he may have some say on what he likes or doesn't like, but his overall look is designed to be that way by someone else paid to design it. Though I still have my money on this shot being for a single showdown scene.

Found this interesting!

I won't dance around it, I have little to no knowledge of the Native American culture but I'd think it's more of a ceremonial type garb than everyday...again part of why I think this is only a single scene look.

I do like his armor/chestplate thing though..

Good lord, the blood quantum for Cherokee is loosey goosey. My tribe is 1/4. After that, you no longer count on the rolls. So, if I have any children, they are screwed in regards to calling themselves American Indian. Weird, eh?

aelynn000 said:
but I'd think it's more of a ceremonial type garb than everyday...again part of why I think this is only a single scene look.

I do like his armor/chestplate thing though..

Yes, Native Americans had ceremonial dress and everyday dress. For portraits (either photo or drawn/painted), individuals typically wore their "best dress". A headdress is typically reserved for ceremonial occassions.

This chestplate is made of buffalo horn hairpipe.

I thought this thread was about the costumes/costuming and the other thread in the Entertainment and Movie forum was the casting and entertainment merits and factors thread?...........but :unsure

Yeah, that "crow hat", that's really a scream--never seen anything like that. Maybe some western tribe's custom, but wasn't the original Tonto some northeastern or north mid-western tribe?

I think those chest beads are a chieftain's thing. The original Tonto was suppose the be the son of a chief, so maybe he rates the chest beads??

I think the Captain Jack Sparrow resemblance may be a bit more than coincidental and a bit more than just because it's Depp........I mean if they were not going to stick to the tribe and look of the original Tonto, they had hundreds of tribes in the US to pick from, so they pick long hair and bandanna and little feathers (and I bet there are trinkets also) tied in and little braids down the side and one feather sticking out quite like a sail fid and on the same side as Jack's............and the bird, the crowing piece, the tricorn replacement!!! :):lol:lol

I can't wait to see more pictures, see the overall costume, see the Caboots!? :lol

And anxious to see the rest of LR's costume,too. Not very western except for the hat, the rolled up neckerchief and it kinda looks like he's sittin' on a horse with his hands on the saddle horn.......

There's no shortage of histories, pictures and illustrations of the illustrious Texas Rangers of that post civil war period, so no excuse to not get that somewhat historically correct.

The Lone Ranger books and TV show were one of my dad's favorties, along with Fury and the Cisco Kid. I guess I have trouble accepting any pollution and/or perversion of those old classics and childhood heroes. That's why I've never seen TB's AiW, it's one of my favorite childhood stories and memories and I don't wish to see how he, IMO, perverted it.

Shylaah

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back