Denix Mauser / Blaster Assembly Info

Re: Denix / ROTJ Blaster Assembly Info

To remove the bolt you have to remove the firing pin. I do this by grabbing the bolt nub and wiggling it until it comes loose and slides out.
Ah... That nub that every Denix build guide I've ever read said that I should file down ... :facepalm

Good then, that I had spared it. :D Thanks for the video!

Regarding the eBay seller "military-armory", BEWARE. I bought a Mauser from him last year and it arrived with no box in a giant padded envelope. The gun was swimming around inside when it arrived and the rear sight was snapped off. The finish was banged up and the packaging was ridiculous. I paid $89 for a broken Denix and when I left feedback that reflected the poor packaging, he blocked me from ever buying from him again. He was rude and very unprofessional.

Just my 2 cents.

Carry on.
Oh - hopefully that doesn't happen to anyone else (I really have no connection to the seller, just saw what looked like a good deal after this thread).

Oh - hopefully that doesn't happen to anyone else (I really have no connection to the seller, just saw what looked like a good deal after this thread).

I don't want to discourage anyone from a potentially low priced Denix. I just wanted to share my experience.

Sorry to derail the thread; back to the assembly banter!

Ah... That nub that every Denix build guide I've ever read said that I should file down ... :facepalm

Good then, that I had spared it. :D Thanks for the video!

If you have removed the bolt nub you can still remove the firing pin by pulling back the slide and grabbing it with needle nose plies. Once you have a good grip on it you can tap the bolt with a hammer and the firing pin will release.

Yay! Someone backed out so now I'm on board.

I like the luster of the scope and scope ring. Based on screen images, I think they need to be different to have a different luster than the rest of the black of the prop, So what you got is good.

The main thing that sticks out to me is the difference in luster of the scope mount and the body. When you look at the real props, the tone and luster of the black of the mount is very close to that of the body. I think the anodizing on the mount is going to be problematic not just in weathering but the overall look of the piece.

Does anyone know a chemical process for stripping anodization?

Hopefully this will become the build thread for most people... not the junkyard one... keep it all in one place.

I'm looking forward to recieving mine... get it in my hands and then sit paralyzed as I figure what route to go with it.

So lets see some options!

Hopefully this will become the build thread for most people... not the junkyard one... keep it all in one place.

Good point, so I am going to repost a comment I made in the JY thread.

In regards to actual photos of the prop posted by Scottjua in that thread, I said...

BTW: I think the real prop pictures are great, you really see the build details. However I would suggest that they not be used as a source for matching weathering. I'm going to assume that most of these images were taken many years after production. Historically, many props from the LFL archives were damaged and/or deteriorated over time.

I just received my kit. Amazing! Quality is second to none. It feels so good in the hand and is outstanding in every detail. I couldn't be happier!

I wouldn't remove the anodizing. I would paint it and then sand away the paint to create the look of the prop

I'll make some comments that are uneducated based on lack of experience or full knowledge of the small details of the prop. There will also be some assumptions thrown in as well, however here it goes...

In the past, I built a blaster using yoda house anodized scope mount. It was extremely hard to weather the piece and expose the metal. As a result the weather effect did not look gently aged, more like damage. If you paint first and try and weather, don't you run into the possibility do simply exposing the anodized plating instead go the metal in some if the areas?

Secondly, I come away with the observation that the scope mount and body are exact or very similar match in color and luster. If someone prefers an Aluminum Black finish, they will not achieve that match unless they strip the mount and then apply the AB.

Thoughts? Comments?

I don't know of any ROTJ pictures that show much bare metal, it mostly looks like they applied a heavy coat of black paint and then sanded it off.

I don't know if stripping the anodize coating will make it possible to get the correct color with Aluminum Black, the look is more realistic but not movie accurate.

It would be best to kind of sit back and wait to see what I come up with.

I'm too busy shipping its to work on my own blaster but I will be glad to use it as a guinea pig

I'll repost here then:

Mine is sort of done:

Made myself a ROTJ on an MGC with the new Bobadebt run parts. It was the ******* child of the DL-44 legacy and I never like it much... until I got it in my hands!!! I LOVE It now.

Some things not finished, are no rivets in pistons yet. I think I won't actually put holes in the gun to do this and will just use the rivet heads instead. They're adhered now with 3M vhb tape... so not budging anyway.

I also "weathered" the anodized parts with a light coat of satin black enamel...then worn away with steel wool. This gave the depth and weathering without killing the anodizing, or too much elbow grease. I gotta thank Bobadebt for that idea!

Some slight AL black on the flash hider for some slight weathering. The screen props didn't look too weathered on the FH, so I tried to replicate what I saw a little.

G20140908-112849.jpg

G20140908-113158.jpg

here's some more reference pics for you guys. I fixed these pics a bit (open in new tab/window for larger):

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

620762_526147807412535_1990618637_o.jpg

stembridge.jpg

I don't know of any ROTJ pictures that show much bare metal, it mostly looks like they applied a heavy coat of black paint and then sanded it off.

I don't know if stripping the anodize coating will make it possible to get the correct color with Aluminum Black, the look is more realistic but not movie accurate.

It would be best to kind of sit back and wait to see what I come up with.

I'm too busy shipping its to work on my own blaster but I will be glad to use it as a guinea pig

I think I agree about the lack of weathering. It seems to me that if there was any weathering on the blaster, it was minor from handling during the build and on set (no real insight, just talking out my ass). Compared to other Han blasters in the OT, this one comes off pretty nice shape. Maybe they thought Han has a new blaster since his old one was left behind at Cloud City or maybe they just did not think or want to weather it severely. I think any other wear and tear is something that occured over the years due to storange and/or handling.

Scottjua, on your build, did you do anything to your scope rings and scope? Paint? Weather?

Painted the WHOLE thing (took out scope lens rings and glass of course, in satin black enamel (light coat), then used steel wool to weather away in normal wear spots.

Painted the WHOLE thing (took out scope lens rings and glass of course, in satin black enamel (light coat), then used steel wool to weather away in normal wear spots.

the scope and scope ring looks to be different lusters. Is that because when you weathered it, the original finishes shown thru?

pretty much... the scope ring wouldn't naturally get worn in most spots... so it's not.

Any ideas on how the Stembridge blaster was assembled then? The scope mount doesn't look to have any screws that attach it to the main body, and while I've seen some similar Mauser grips before, I've never seen a perfect match to those checkered ones. Also, either the SW guys cut off the little lanyard ring at the bottom of the grip frame, or there was never one on it.

the ring is like a keyring... just twists off...

No idea on the rest yet.

Talking about the Stembridge...here´s an OLD pic of my interpretation.
I upgraded it with a more accurate scope from BD´s latest run in the meantime...will take a new, better pic asap

Markus

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back